Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
July 27, 2018, 3:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Thought there would have been more of a response on here from all those demanding such a scheme.

May need more tweaks moving forward but it is a start so well done to Trust/ GTFC
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
GrimRob
July 27, 2018, 3:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
That's a great move. Priority away tickets for regular supporters makes total sense, but a season ticket is not suitable for everyone.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 60
ginnywings
July 27, 2018, 3:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Not much of a saving is there? For another £88, you could have got a ticket for the entire season. A full season ticket works out at under £15 a match for the Upper. These work out to about £19.30 per match. Can't see much incentive myself. May as well just buy as you want them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
Cloudy
July 27, 2018, 3:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Not much of a saving is there? For another £88, you could have got a ticket for the entire season. A full season ticket works out at under £15 a match for the Upper. These work out to about £19.30 per match. Can't see much incentive myself. May as well just buy as you want them.

The cost of under £15 per match is correct assuming you can attend every game. The point of this new scheme is to help, albeit slightly, those that cannot make every game
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
chipsandgravy
July 27, 2018, 4:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,603
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Damned if you do damned if you don't!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
pizzzza
July 27, 2018, 4:15pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
It's a start, a good start, I suppose they'll see what the take up is and then adjust in the future.

The anus in me wants to say that it was only this time last year that The Trust were saying there would be some news on this in a week, 12 months later....
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 27, 2018, 4:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
That's really good news. Better late than never.

Looks nicely judged as a package that will not 'cannibalise' season ticket sales, but enough of an incentive to encourage 'upgrades' from match-by-match tickets.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
jimgtfc
July 27, 2018, 5:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
I just hope the fans who have been asking for this now put their money where their mouths are and make this worth while for the club as well.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
ska face
July 27, 2018, 5:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Good to see this finally introduced.

What needs to happen now is the club, and Trust, need to hammer this across to the people who will benefit. No point doing it and hoping people will come, it’s not the field of dreams - get into the big employers, poster in every canteen, flyers in every office, get an email sent out and get selling.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
Bigdog
July 27, 2018, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Seems like a bit of a half-baked unattractive solution to me.

Is the saving per game (£1.70) enough to attract take up? Most probably not, but there is the benefit of being second in the queue for sought after away tickets. Good luck with Mansfield or Lincoln away!

Does it address or reward exiles who spend a great deal more cash than locals attending home games? Not at all really. Like I think it was Devon Mariner who travels 700 miles per home game, or all the lads from the London area etc. They spend enormous amounts to attend home games yet if they invested in one of these half season tickets and saved themselves the princely sum of £21 (much less than a train ticket or petrol to a single home game) they're still not at the front of the queue for tickets for away games with a season ticket holder that only walks round the corner to home games. Seems a bit of an imbalance there..

Thought I saw a GTFC shop/shirt voucher for exiles if you lived outside the DN postcode. So that excludes Retford Mariner (DN postcode) who lives four times further away than Louth Mariner who qualifies with an LN postcode. Still doesn't make sense and wasn't thought through enough.

It's a slight positive that the club seems to be listening and starting to make an effort after all these years, but it's hardly a hats off moment of genius.. Could they put more effort or thought in to making offers a little more equitable or attractive enough to make an impact on take up?

Under scrutiny, this deal isn't one of them..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
jamesgtfc
July 27, 2018, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Using £20 as a base figure against an average cost of £15 for STH's think adult tickets on this scheme should be priced at:

£85 for 5 games (£17 per game)
£155 for 10 games (£15.50 per game)

I think the 10 game offer would appeal to many exiles because the discount offered isn't too far away from a season ticket. I also think if you live outside of a specific radius, this scheme should give you the same priority as a STH for away games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
ginnywings
July 27, 2018, 7:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Using £20 as a base figure against an average cost of £15 for STH's think adult tickets on this scheme should be priced at:

£85 for 5 games (£17 per game)
£155 for 10 games (£15.50 per game)

I think the 10 game offer would appeal to many exiles because the discount offered isn't too far away from a season ticket. I also think if you live outside of a specific radius, this scheme should give you the same priority as a STH for away games.

I agree. If you buy a full season ticket at early bird prices, you get about 7 games for free. If you buy a half season ticket, which this effectively is (though i get that you can use it for whichever matches you choose over a season), then you only get one game free. Long term commitment should be rewarded more, as it is when buying a full season ticket.

Think your figures are about spot on james.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
Cloudy
July 27, 2018, 9:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Seems the people thinking this is a poor deal are the same people asking why we haven't signed this player or that player.

The answer is lack of finance!

Seems some will moan for the sake of it, some of whom will only go to a handful of games anyway!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 27, 2018, 9:35pm
Meths Drinker
Not sure that’s right Cloudy. A well structured and commercially balanced scheme which attracts a lot more people through the gates and that encourages people to commit money early will help the budget more than a higher price.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
UTMariners
July 27, 2018, 10:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Well done to the club for listening to the fans on this.  The figures might not be perfect, but it's a good start and finally gives some priority to those who want to watch Town regularly but where it doesn't make sense for them to get a season ticket due to shifts etc.  In terms of it failing to reward Exiles, I don't think this scheme is aimed at Exiles. I think we will see a different scheme for them.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
ginnywings
July 27, 2018, 10:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Cloudy
Seems the people thinking this is a poor deal are the same people asking why we haven't signed this player or that player.

Seems some will moan for the sake of it, some of whom will only go to a handful of games anyway!

Nope.

Haven't complained about signings and i will more than likely attend 90 to 95% of games, which means the club will make more money from me during the season, than if i bought a half or full season ticket. It just seems disproportionate that you can still buy a full season ticket for £340, and a half season ticket is £252. This will not, in my opinion, attract floating fans, just as the early release of season tickets has not upped the sales at all. We are still looking at selling the usual 3000 by the looks of things.

My reasons for not buying a season ticket this year, is partly down to what happened last season, and previous poor seasons, and partly for personal reasons.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
newarkmariner
July 27, 2018, 10:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Its a good move by the club, they have listened and are learning by there mistakes, this is a step in the right direction, however it seems to some that isn't enough, make a ticket £10 and they will want it for £9,the club cant do right for doing wrong in some peoples eyes. if your going to minge on about the price comparison to a season ticket then hey buy a fooking season ticket and give the club your support and stop looking for reasons (Slade/Fenty blah blah,fans forum blah blah ,I cant let go off the past  blah blah)to justify your stance.
as someone stated earlier Damned if they do,damned if they dont.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
Poojah
July 27, 2018, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,530
Gold Stars: 1,500
It’s a real tricky one this. I live around 90 miles away from BP but have always bought a season ticket despite missing six or seven games a season due to a combination of work and family commitments.

In truth, it probably would’ve been cheaper to have bought tickets on a game by game basis but I’ve done it anyway for a few reasons i.e. not having to queue for a ticket each week, priority over away games and the ability to get a ticket on the off chance we get a plum cup draw (albeit, this never seems to happen!).

Secondarily, I also do it to support the club - appreciating the importance of season ticket revenue at this level. However, if there was an alternative which made things much cheaper to attend, let’s say 15 games, would I do it? Quite possibly.

And that’s the real challenge for the club - getting the balance right between incentives and shooting themselves in the foot. To that end, they’ve probably done the right thing in launching softly. Get the idea out there and then refine it in future seasons once they have some data to base decisions on.

For sure, the incentive is small right now, but that has to be better than shitting out of £100k or so in lost season ticket sales through well meaning but over-enthusiastic offers. That’s a couple of first team players right there.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
immariner
July 27, 2018, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
I do agree that it is a bit half-baked, doesn't mean I don't appreciate that the club are responding to feedback. I don't think the saving per match is enough, considering you still have to go to the ticket office anyway, and your seat is not guaranteed.

The sort of person this is aimed at is me to a certain extent. I don't live a million miles from BP, 40ish, but not living on the doorstep, having some other things to do on Saturdays, and prioritising finances, I'm not going to go to the majority of games. The only incentive for me with this scheme is the priority for away tickets after season ticket holders. Is it enough to entice me to take part in the SST? No, simply put.

What might have enticed me to sign up for 12 games, would be to pay for 12 games up front, at say £17-18 a game, be given a guaranteed seat of my choosing, an SST book with 12 stubs in it, and have up to 3 or 5 days before matchday to confirm my attendance for a match. If I do this, I can roll up to the turnstiles at 2.55 like a boss and hand over one of my stubs and sit in my chosen seat. Otherwise, the seat goes on general sale and if I did choose after the guranteed seat cut-off point to go, I would then have to go to the ticket office to exchange one of my stubs for a ticket for a different seat. Everyone's a winner.

As the offer stands, I'd be better off buying a season ticket and just selling the stubs for the ganes I can't go to for between fiver and a tenner. I would get priority for away tickets that way too. But I'm not gonna do that. I'll probably end up going to maybe 3 to 8 games this season. But it could easily be 12.  

Now I'm just talking about me, what would attract me. There may be plenty of people out there for whom this offer is very attractive. I hope there are and I hope it's a big success. Good on the club for at least trying anyway..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 27, 2018, 11:15pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Nope.

Haven't complained about signings and i will more than likely attend 90 to 95% of games, which means the club will make more money from me during the season, than if i bought a half or full season ticket. It just seems disproportionate that you can still buy a full season ticket for £340, and a half season ticket is £252. This will not, in my opinion, attract floating fans, just as the early release of season tickets has not upped the sales at all. We are still looking at selling the usual 3000 by the looks of things.

My reasons for not buying a season ticket this year, is partly down to what happened last season, and previous poor seasons, and partly for personal reasons

Who knows? Given lots of people have said they weren't going to renew the way things went last season, the early sales might have captured enough doubters to help avoid a slump in numbers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
immariner
July 27, 2018, 11:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

And that’s the real challenge for the club - getting the balance right between incentives and shooting themselves in the foot. To that end, they’ve probably done the right thing in launching softly. Get the idea out there and then refine it in future seasons once they have some data to base decisions on.

For sure, the incentive is small right now, but that has to be better than shitting out of £100k or so in lost season ticket sales through well meaning but over-enthusiastic offers. That’s a couple of first team players right there.

Yeah, for sure mate. As you can see from our two posts our situations aren't all that dissimilar and I have bought a season ticket in the past for the reasons you do/did. So there'll be many other people out there whose needs are broadly similar but looking for a slightly bigger or slightly smaller commitment of games, or to pay a little less per game, naturally. A blanket approach that keeps everyone happy would be impossible, so you could be right that the club are dipping their toe in first. Perhaps 'half-baked' is a litle harsh. I do hope that the club do look at the take up, again take feedback on board, with a view to tweaking it and not scrapping it completely. Because the demand is there, clearly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
lancspontooner
July 27, 2018, 11:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +213
Nothing wrong with the idea it's just the numbers that are wrong. It's a soft launch so I assume they don't expect take-up to be great. If it was £100 for 6 games in the Pontoon I would have bought in but I wouldn't pay their current price for a half season deal. I just hope they don't bin it because of low take-up and they are a bit more realistic next time. I will pick and choose my games this season as I haven't renewed my season ticket but it's going to have to be a hell of a lot better quality than last season now I'm back to the hassle of buying individually from the ticket office each fortnight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
Bigdog
July 28, 2018, 5:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Because it's such a poor deal it will hardly affect the finances at all. Can't see it being taken up by that many due to the pricing structure a lack of choice in number of games (if they ever release the figures I guess a struggle to break 100) to make a difference to player recruitment at all..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
Bigdog
July 28, 2018, 5:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from UTMariners
Well done to the club for listening to the fans on this.  The figures might not be perfect, but it's a good start and finally gives some priority to those who want to watch Town regularly but where it doesn't make sense for them to get a season ticket due to shifts etc.  In terms of it failing to reward Exiles, I don't think this scheme is aimed at Exiles. I think we will see a different scheme for them.

Well JF said he would look at a scheme after talking to exiles at FGR and this is what we've got. Expect another fudged deal for exiles after the take up for the current scheme is poor. Where has the reasoned debate gone on this board? Jamesgtfc had it right regarding the pricing and structure regarding the number of games. If it was something similar to that then the club would deserve some praise and the scheme could make a difference to many.

The Osmond should have been split for the FGR game. We might have not sold out the opening fixture but it certainly would have given the impression of some momentum being built. There's loads the club could be doing better..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
Bigdog
July 28, 2018, 5:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from newarkmariner
Its a good move by the club, they have listened and are learning by there mistakes, this is a step in the right direction, however it seems to some that isn't enough, make a ticket £10 and they will want it for £9,the club cant do right for doing wrong in some peoples eyes. if your going to minge on about the price comparison to a season ticket then hey buy a fooking season ticket and give the club your support and stop looking for reasons (Slade/Fenty blah blah,fans forum blah blah ,I cant let go off the past  blah blah)to justify your stance.
as someone stated earlier Damned if they do,damned if they dont.

It's aimed at shift workers and exiles who would never buy a season ticket anyway.. so where's your point?

And it's not having a go at the club for the sake of it. I want my club to do things better and enable us to progress..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Bigdog
July 28, 2018, 5:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Nope.

My reasons for not buying a season ticket this year, is partly down to what happened last season, and previous poor seasons, and partly for personal reasons.

For all the positivity about Jolley, we're going to sell the same number of season tickets as last season. The reason is that in JF's own words, he makes no apology for how he goes about running the club. Seriously, after last season's antics he makes no apologies to the club's paying public. A frank admission of guilt and a raft of apologies coupled with an attempt to draw a line under hostilities and outlining a clear plan for the future for the club may have started a bandwagon rolling a la Lincoln. But no, in effect JF has promised more of the same. So we've gained 25% new season ticket holders because of Jolley and lost 25% of season ticket holders because of JF and the board. An open goal has been missed for financial progression because GTFC at the top are too stuck in their ways. Imagine what Jolley could have done with an extra thousand or two season tickets money in the bank..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
toontown
July 28, 2018, 7:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
I think this is a good idea, not perfect, but probably good enough to entice me considering the priority for away/cup games. I don't want a particular seat as some are asking for, I usually go to games on my own but for some games I am joined by my wife or more 'casual support' friends of mine, they wouldn't bother going if they can't sit with me. If this came with a specific seat I wouldnt be able to guarantee the seat next to it would be free when they wanted to join me. But with this scheme I can pick any 2 or 3 seats together and get my seat using the SST. I still make a small saving and get secondary priority for away games. I will attend about 18 or 19 home league games I imagine so will certainly use up all 13 games on the SST. It's a good idea I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
Pogo
July 28, 2018, 10:56am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
It’s great for anyone like me who work on a rotation, great scheme by the club in my eyes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
Grimbiggs
July 28, 2018, 1:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
It's a start, but not a great incentive, and I'll be surprised if they get more than 100 people to take up the offer....a better incentive would have been something like 12 games for the price of 10 (around about £190 on early bird prices) or if they wanted, maybe pack the Pontoon which is where the majority of the atmosphere is created, and charge something like £150, which would be a better incentive. I hope it's revised next season and not just scrapped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
immariner
July 28, 2018, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from toontown
I think this is a good idea, not perfect, but probably good enough to entice me considering the priority for away/cup games. I don't want a particular seat as some are asking for, I usually go to games on my own but for some games I am joined by my wife or more 'casual support' friends of mine, they wouldn't bother going if they can't sit with me. If this came with a specific seat I wouldnt be able to guarantee the seat next to it would be free when they wanted to join me. But with this scheme I can pick any 2 or 3 seats together and get my seat using the SST. I still make a small saving and get secondary priority for away games. I will attend about 18 or 19 home league games I imagine so will certainly use up all 13 games on the SST. It's a good idea I think.

I get that. My suggestion allows for that. ☺ I wouldn't always want the guaranteed seat but nice to have the option of a seat you know has a decent view..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
1mickylyons
July 30, 2018, 2:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

The main idea was never about folk saving money though of course it would have been a further carrot to shift them. This scheme though not ideal affords the fan that wants to commit but can`t for 23 home games due to shifts,locations etc the chance to buy a part and a regular seat with the incentive a guaranteed ticket for a home cup game.I really hope people grab this and offer constructive criticism if it`s warranted to change bits and pieces to suit both parties. The good thing for the Club it`s cash up front which they may not have got and they should be able to plan for certain games ie FGR and the offers for opening day.Glad to see some positivity around this like I say not ideal and not exactly what was wanted but a good starting base to build from.Anyways when we win 10 on the spin from the off problem solved SOLD OUT.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
moosey_club
July 30, 2018, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
was in the club shop this morning and someone in the queue went in to buy one....

"sorry we dont have them from the printers yet " ...
"oh but i wanted to use one of the selected games for the FGR game"
"well you can buy a normal matchday ticket for the FGR game...i am sure the books will be ready soon"

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
ginnywings
July 30, 2018, 3:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The main idea was never about folk saving money though of course it would have been a further carrot to shift them. This scheme though not ideal affords the fan that wants to commit but can`t for 23 home games due to shifts,locations etc the chance to buy a part and a regular seat with the incentive a guaranteed ticket for a home cup game.I really hope people grab this and offer constructive criticism if it`s warranted to change bits and pieces to suit both parties. The good thing for the Club it`s cash up front which they may not have got and they should be able to plan for certain games ie FGR and the offers for opening day.Glad to see some positivity around this like I say not ideal and not exactly what was wanted but a good starting base to build from.Anyways when we win 10 on the spin from the off problem solved SOLD OUT.UTM

Yeah, but for another £88, you can get all that you have mentioned for the entire season. Guaranteed seat, first dibs on tickets and go to any match you want. I've talked to a few people about this and most say that you may as well just get a full season ticket, so i think they have pitched it wrong. Just my opinion and it won't make any difference to me personally, as it's not about the money. The question to ask is whether this deal will attract people to buy a half season ticket, who wouldn't normally bother with a full one, and i don't think it will to any great degree. Hope i'm wrong and it's a roaring success.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
UTMariners
July 30, 2018, 4:41pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
was in the club shop this morning and someone in the queue went in to buy one....

"well you can buy a normal matchday ticket for the FGR game...i am sure the books will be ready soon"

FFS. I wish I could say I was surprised by this. The club really do know how to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes...

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
mimma
July 30, 2018, 4:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,571
Gold Stars: 78
One suggestion, when tickets go on general sale, give these ticket holders the chance to buy their tickets first. That way they are guaranteed tickets in games that might sell out and also gives them a chance of the seats that they prefer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
ska face
July 30, 2018, 8:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, but for another £88, you can get all that you have mentioned for the entire season. Guaranteed seat, first dibs on tickets and go to any match you want. I've talked to a few people about this and most say that you may as well just get a full season ticket, so i think they have pitched it wrong. Just my opinion and it won't make any difference to me personally, as it's not about the money. The question to ask is whether this deal will attract people to buy a half season ticket, who wouldn't normally bother with a full one, and i don't think it will to any great degree. Hope i'm wrong and it's a roaring success.

You say that like £88 is a small amount of money and people can afford to just buy tickets for matches they know they’ll definitely not attend. It’s a psychological thing as much as financial - if you know you’re going to miss 10, 12, 14 matches a season then buying a ST doesn’t even enter into your thought process, you don’t feel involved, you lose that sense of commitment and duty (if you like) that drags you to matches in the rain and wind and dark and cold, so it’s easier to drop off altogether and just turn up for big matches or when there’s an offer on.

The point of a season ticket is security, so it’s beyond me why the club have decided not to offer a secure seat with this scheme. It would be so easy to do -

- Joe Bloggs has seat A100 on his flexi-ticket
- He has until 2 weeks before any fixture to confirm he’ll be attending (do it online, in the shop, on the phone, wherever)
- After this point, the seat is free and goes on general sale

Not rocket science, and perhaps something to look at in improving the offer. Generally if you work shifts or live away, you’ll know if you’re free or planning to come back a fortnight beforehand, and two weeks is more than enough notice for the club to not disrupt their planning.

What I would say though is that it’s good to see movement on what is effectively a very cheap promotion for the club. Say there’ll probably be max 500 who take that up this season, that means the maximum cost to the club to run this will be 500 free tickets over the course of the whole season. They must dish that out each week to schools and kids groups. What it might bring in though is 500 x 13 games of potential mates brought along, programmes sold, food bought, 500 ticket holders sharing their pictures, videos and experiences across their social media channels, 500 extra people spreading the word at work locally or telling friends and family.

That’s the potential and that’s why I hope, even if nobody buys a single ticket, that the club look at how they might improve the scheme for next year.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
ginnywings
July 30, 2018, 9:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from ska face

You say that like £88 is a small amount of money and people can afford to just buy tickets for matches they know they’ll definitely not attend. It’s a psychological thing as much as financial - if you know you’re going to miss 10, 12, 14 matches a season then buying a ST doesn’t even enter into your thought process, you don’t feel involved, you lose that sense of commitment and duty (if you like) that drags you to matches in the rain and wind and dark and cold, so it’s easier to drop off altogether and just turn up for big matches or when there’s an offer on.

The point of a season ticket is security, so it’s beyond me why the club have decided not to offer a secure seat with this scheme. It would be so easy to do -

- Joe Bloggs has seat A100 on his flexi-ticket
- He has until 2 weeks before any fixture to confirm he’ll be attending (do it online, in the shop, on the phone, wherever)
- After this point, the seat is free and goes on general sale

Not rocket science, and perhaps something to look at in improving the offer. Generally if you work shifts or live away, you’ll know if you’re free or planning to come back a fortnight beforehand, and two weeks is more than enough notice for the club to not disrupt their planning.

What I would say though is that it’s good to see movement on what is effectively a very cheap promotion for the club. Say there’ll probably be max 500 who take that up this season, that means the maximum cost to the club to run this will be 500 free tickets over the course of the whole season. They must dish that out each week to schools and kids groups. What it might bring in though is 500 x 13 games of potential mates brought along, programmes sold, food bought, 500 ticket holders sharing their pictures, videos and experiences across their social media channels, 500 extra people spreading the word at work locally or telling friends and family.

That’s the potential and that’s why I hope, even if nobody buys a single ticket, that the club look at how they might improve the scheme for next year.

I don't disagree with you, but i just feel that something like 10 tickets for say £180/£190 and get the 11th game free would have had more takers. Those that just want to attend about a dozen games get a deal, and those that want to attend all or most of the first 11 games, could then be offered the same deal for the second half of the season, say £180/£190 again, but the last 2 games are free as a little extra reward for taking up the second batch.

The club has to find ways of enticing people back, because we just keep selling the same 3000-ish every season. I hope, like you, that the club builds on this and improves the scheme next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 30, 2018, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I guess they have to be careful that they don't position it where it becomes too appealing for those considering a full season ticket.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
ginnywings
July 30, 2018, 9:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I guess they have to be careful that they don't position it where it becomes too appealing for those considering a full season ticket.

Good point. I suppose if you look at it another way, it makes a full season ticket look very good value, which is maybe what they are aiming for?

When all is said and done, if we have a good season, the tickets sales will go up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
toontown
July 31, 2018, 12:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from moosey_club

Surely these decisions should a) have been decided long ago to allow sufficient time for arrangements to be put in place to get the tickets printed and set up a process to buy one or b) if the tickets aren't yet available and you cant come into the club shop to buy one, don't advertise on the clubs website to fans that they can. Really not good enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
moosey_club
July 31, 2018, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Surely these decisions should a) have been decided long ago to allow sufficient time for arrangements to be put in place to get the tickets printed and set up a process to buy one or b) if the tickets aren't yet available and you cant come into the club shop to buy one, don't advertise on the clubs website to fans that they can. Really not good enough.

i didnt mention that the first line of advice offered was ..........  you can order it online from home !  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
promotion plaice
July 31, 2018, 11:36am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from toontown

Could be wrong but it seems to me this was all a last minute decision taken in response to Lincoln announcing their "MyImps" membership scheme
a couple of weeks ago.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
1mickylyons
July 31, 2018, 2:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Could be wrong but it seems to me this was all a last minute decision taken in response to Lincoln announcing their "MyImps" membership scheme
a couple of weeks ago.

All I can tell you is this was put to the Club a few Months ago for them to look at.If it helps one single fan then it`s been a worthwhile exercise again 1 in 5 working age people in NE Lincs are shift workers the Club must look at that and get it to work for both parties.This is the first step......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
barralad
July 31, 2018, 5:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1mickylyons

All I can tell you is this was put to the Club a few Months ago for them to look at.If it helps one single fan then it`s been a worthwhile exercise again 1 in 5 working age people in NE Lincs are shift workers the Club must look at that and get it to work for both parties.This is the first step......

You are being too modest Micky. For the benefit of those who don't know the idea grew out of a conversation Micky had with me and others which resulted in a meeting held at the Hainton back in May where it quickly appeared that the Trust and Micky's group (including Ska off of here) were pretty close. Ian Keetley and Dave Roberts drafted and presented the idea to the club with the incorporation of a lot of the input from Micky and co. Did we get everything we wanted? No. The club have very real and justified concerns about possible effect on main season ticket sales. Is it a good start? Most definitely! This offer is now on the table. Future seasons may see modifications but I'd be very surprised if it was consigned to the dustbin of history after one try.
A great example of The Trust working with members. There were other things discussed that night many of which are still being progressed.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
moosey_club
July 31, 2018, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

You are being too modest Micky. For the benefit of those who don't know the idea grew out of a conversation Micky had with me and others which resulted in a meeting held at the Hainton back in May where it quickly appeared that the Trust and Micky's group (including Ska off of here) were pretty close. Ian Keetley and Dave Roberts drafted and presented the idea to the club with the incorporation of a lot of the input from Micky and co. Did we get everything we wanted? No. The club have very real and justified concerns about possible effect on main season ticket sales. Is it a good start? Most definitely! This offer is now on the table. Future seasons may see modifications but I'd be very surprised if it was consigned to the dustbin of history after one try.
A great example of The Trust working with members. There were other things discussed that night many of which are still being progressed.

Thats pretty clear from the price, structure and relatively late announcement of this scheme compared to the early sale of ST's this season.
Is it a genuine gesture from the club or is it a reluctant half @rsed offer, released at the last moment in the hope most people on the fence would have bought an early bird ticket as the initial cut off date had elapsed ?  
Guess that depends on your outlook.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
Tinymariner
July 31, 2018, 11:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Thanks for the info Ian, it doesn’t matter what the club do according to some negative elements of our fan base. Keep up the good work.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
1mickylyons
August 1, 2018, 11:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Thats pretty clear from the price, structure and relatively late announcement of this scheme compared to the early sale of ST's this season.
Is it a genuine gesture from the club or is it a reluctant half @rsed offer, released at the last moment in the hope most people on the fence would have bought an early bird ticket as the initial cut off date had elapsed ?  
Guess that depends on your outlook.

The whole point of this original suggestion was based on comments over a few year`s from those who wanted to support the Club financially whilst securing themselves a guaranteed seat but could NOT commit to an actual ST.I work for a company with a lot of shift workers many of whom are Town fans but very few STH. I also come in to contact with many others in the same boat locally as I am sure a lot of people do ?Then we have the large number of exiles GTFC also have who probably can`t or wont commit to a ST who always seem to suffer tremendously when we have a high demand for tickets home or away. We can all sit and moan and let`s be honest I have for year`s OR we can look to try and get the problems identified properly and addressed. This is not ideal I think we can all agree on that but it`s a good starting point and worthy of further dialogue down the line and if it helps out those mentioned it will have been a worthwhile exercise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
1mickylyons
August 1, 2018, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner
Thanks for the info Ian, it doesn’t matter what the club do according to some negative elements of our fan base. Keep up the good work.

People get very frustrated me included Tiny and sadly things always move at a snails pace which makes it worse still but we have to keep on and make things happen.Those who want to sit back and criticise anything and everything you will never make happy BUT sometimes they have a point and you still have to be prepared to listen.Hopefully on the pitch will take care of a lot of the noise and off the pitch I think all parties can and should do better than previous Season`s time will tell?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
moosey_club
August 1, 2018, 2:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The whole point of this original suggestion was based on comments over a few year`s from those who wanted to support the Club financially whilst securing themselves a guaranteed seat but could NOT commit to an actual ST.I work for a company with a lot of shift workers many of whom are Town fans but very few STH. I also come in to contact with many others in the same boat locally as I am sure a lot of people do ?Then we have the large number of exiles GTFC also have who probably can`t or wont commit to a ST who always seem to suffer tremendously when we have a high demand for tickets home or away. We can all sit and moan and let`s be honest I have for year`s OR we can look to try and get the problems identified properly and addressed. This is not ideal I think we can all agree on that but it`s a good starting point and worthy of further dialogue down the line and if it helps out those mentioned it will have been a worthwhile exercise.

i appreciate that you have have put yourself out there and attempted to get something in place,not knocking that and apologies if any offence caused.  The way it appears now though is that you are paying MORE per game with this scheme than just getting an early bird match ticket each time you can go instead....with the only benefit being queue jumping for tickets for big games.
And that queue jumping also now dents one of the original perceived benefits of being a trust member, which once upon a time was supposed to give you priority on tickets once season ticket holders have had a nibble. I notice now that the ticket heirachy is ;

STH
SSTS
Stub holders
Trust
General sale

Pretty ironic that the trust have helped negotiate something that pushes its own members down the pecking order !!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
pen penfras
August 1, 2018, 3:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from moosey_club

The way it appears now though is that you are paying MORE per game with this scheme than just getting an early bird match ticket

I take it maths isn't your strong suit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
barralad
August 1, 2018, 3:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from moosey_club

i appreciate that you have have put yourself out there and attempted to get something in place,not knocking that and apologies if any offence caused.  The way it appears now though is that you are paying MORE per game with this scheme than just getting an early bird match ticket each time you can go instead....with the only benefit being queue jumping for tickets for big games.
And that queue jumping also now dents one of the original perceived benefits of being a trust member, which once upon a time was supposed to give you priority on tickets once season ticket holders have had a nibble. I notice now that the ticket heirachy is ;

STH
SSTS
Stub holders
Trust
General sale

Pretty ironic that the trust have helped negotiate something that pushes its own members down the pecking order !!!

Surely the proof of the pudding will be in the eating? If the intended target audience see merits in it then it will be at least a partial success. If not then feedback will inform the next steps. For our part I think we (The Trust) need to help advertise far and wide including to firms locally with large shift worker workforces. As I said earlier it might not be the complete deal but I for one am prepared to give it a chance. to work.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
ska face
August 1, 2018, 3:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

i appreciate that you have have put yourself out there and attempted to get something in place,not knocking that and apologies if any offence caused.  The way it appears now though is that you are paying MORE per game with this scheme than just getting an early bird match ticket each time you can go instead....

That’s not the case though, is it?

Over the 13 matches...

[img]https://s22.postimg.cc/di6cjaott/tix.jpg[/img]

Plus if you’re buying online (as most exiles do), you remove the exile tax of 50p per ticket that you need to pay.

But still, it’s clear people won’t be happy until the whole thing’s been ground down to dust. Thanks for your input, you’re right, it is a shite idea, a total waste of time and won’t be of any benefit to anyone. Glad that you’re not knocking it though...
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
KingstonMariner
August 1, 2018, 6:21pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

STH
SSTS
Stub holders
Trust
General sale

I don’t see it like that. The whole point of the Trust was to give supporters a say in how the club is run. Not for any individual personal gain. Yeah it’s nice to have 2nd or 3rd dibs for tickets but slipping down the pecking order is not a blow. It might act as encouragement to buy one of these SSTs for any non-ST holder exile (like me).

The fact that the Trust has been able to negotiate this is a benefit to supporters in the short term and supporters say in the way the club is run in the long term.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
moosey_club
August 1, 2018, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I take it maths isn't your strong suit?

i'll have you know i got a CSE in maths from the highly acclaimed Lindsey School ..so not too shoddy ta   .... i was however guilty of lazy research , the figure i based on was a.n others previously posted figure...so should have done my own checking.

Everything i have said previously on the subject is therefore total poppycock and the scheme is actually fantastic, a great innovative move by the club who have moved very quickly to recognise the area's demographic and put something in place in a timely way and i am sure will be welcomed by all and sales will reflect such.  Hoorah.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
promotion plaice
August 1, 2018, 7:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from moosey_club

i'll have you know i got a CSE in maths from the highly acclaimed Lindsey School ..so not too shoddy ta   .... i was however guilty of lazy research , the figure i based on was a.n others previously posted figure...so should have done my own checking.

Everything i have said previously on the subject is therefore total poppycock and the scheme is actually fantastic, a great innovative move by the club who have moved very quickly to recognise the area's demographic and put something in place in a timely way and i am sure will be welcomed by all and sales will reflect such.  Hoorah.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 9:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

STH
SSTS
Stub holders
Trust
General sale

No offence at all moosey it`s just hard to explain to people that the things they would like incorporated have already been asked for but clearly nobody wants GTFC to lose any STH as a result especially GTFC so a compromise has been arrived at. This is clearly always going to be stacked in the football clubs favour and so it should be BUT the key is it offers supporters an alternative and fills a void and it opens up a channel that can be worked on.Your point about Trust members being pushed further down it`s  £15 a year to be a Trust member so those buying a ticket package will go above them having bought multiple tickets seems fair enough surely? With 3k STH the chances of a trust member getting a ticket for a big game would be pretty slim in any case at least here you would be guaranteed a seat to ANY home game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 9:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don’t see it like that. The whole point of the Trust was to give supporters a say in how the club is run. Not for any individual personal gain. Yeah it’s nice to have 2nd or 3rd dibs for tickets but slipping down the pecking order is not a blow. It might act as encouragement to buy one of these SSTs for any non-ST holder exile (like me).

The fact that the Trust has been able to negotiate this is a benefit to supporters in the short term and supporters say in the way the club is run in the long term.

Thanks KM at least someone understands the principal of what were trying to do and why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
MarinerWY
August 2, 2018, 9:54am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
I think it's a brilliant idea. Both me and my brother are considering getting one - living in Leeds we have not been able to commit to a full season ticket with travel costs etc.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 10:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY
I think it's a brilliant idea. Both me and my brother are considering getting one - living in Leeds we have not been able to commit to a full season ticket with travel costs etc.

Great to hear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
UTMariners
August 2, 2018, 11:57am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

WHS

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Self select ticket scheme

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.