Abdul19
June 19, 2018, 9:58am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GrimRob

Even if he did spot the incidents he may have been waiting for the call from the VAR boys.

If that's how it works, what's the point in there being a ref on the pitch?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
Les Brechin
June 19, 2018, 10:00am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from GrimRob

Don't blame the ref, it's the VAR to blame. Even if he did spot the incidents he may have been waiting for the call from the VAR boys.

If the ref did see it, then why the hell didn't he call it and wait for VAR to confirm it!

Might as well not have a ref on the pitch if we're going down that road and just use VAR.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
grimsby pete
June 19, 2018, 10:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I don't get this VAR stuff,

If they only point out clear and obvious misses by the ref,

How come we saw 2 clear penalties on Kane a few seconds after they were committed and the VAR man thought they were ok.

What do they have to do ?

Maybe swing an arm like Walker did ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
GrimRob
June 19, 2018, 10:15am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19

If that's how it works, what's the point in there being a ref on the pitch?!

I don't think anybody knows how it works, They are making up the rules as they go along. In my opinion, to do it properly they need to slow the game down to give a chance for the correct decisions to be made. And stop the clock while that's happening. I know that would change the game but at the moment they are trying to have their cake and eat it by wanting a fast-flowing game and VAR.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 112
RonMariner
June 19, 2018, 10:16am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
How is VAR supposed to work? Does the ref have to ask for a review, like the umpires do in cricket, of do the VAR operators notify the ref when they see something?

I don't understand how those two assaults of Kane could go unnoticed or unpunished? They were far more deliberate than the incident which lead to the Tunisian penalty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
RonMariner
June 19, 2018, 10:37am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Do you genuinely think Ali and Lingard don’t have good technique based on what you’ve seen of them week in week out? I think your over reacting a fair bit tbh. Yes we were ponderous in the second half but at least we didn’t start lumping it in like we’ve done so often in the past. Kept our patience and got what we deserved against an awkward team and dubious ref. With the exception of Spain, Portugal and maybe Croatia none of the other teams have been any better than us. I think some people have too high expectations so will always be disappointed, we’re no world beaters so don’t expect to see world beating performances.

What I expect is for players who are paid tens of thousand a week to play football to at least be able to master the basics, i.e. hit a decent half volley, trap a ball, or pass to a team mate. Or not scuff shots from a few yards out. Is that really too much to ask from players that earn millions a year for plying their trade? It just basic technique. We would criticise L2 players for some of the ineptitude shown last night.

As for not lumping if forward, I saw endless hit an hope balls into the box, very few of which seemed designed to pick out a specific player. Luckily the ball twice broke kindly from a corner and fell to a guy who can take a chance when it's offered and showed great skill and composure in doing so.

I'm glad we managed to win, but I am disappointed at how poor some of our players were. I don't have an issue with Alli who I rate as a player but seemed to be carrying an injury, he certainly didn't look his usual self. But for me Sterling and Linguard in particular looked pretty dire.

I don't expect us to be world beaters. The reason is that we don't have the players good enough to be world beaters. But I do expect something rather better than we saw last night from certain players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
Maringer
June 19, 2018, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from monkeyboy
Rose should replace Young, by far the better player.

Loftus cheek needs a chance as has never looked bad at all and Vardy in place of Sterling.

I'd certainly much rather see Rose in than Young. Nothing particularly against Young, but you know he's always going to turn back inside onto his right foot and we needed more pace down the sides. They were sitting so deep that Rose would have had plenty of chances to break down the left.

I don't think that was the sort of game for Vardy as he thrives on space in behind. Rashford in for Sterling next game, I reckon and Loftus-Cheek for Alli.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
Roast Em Bobby
June 19, 2018, 10:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from RonMariner

What I expect is for players who are paid tens of thousand a week to play football to at least be able to master the basics, i.e. hit a decent half volley, trap a ball, or pass to a team mate. Or not scuff shots from a few yards out. Is that really too much to ask from players that earn millions a year for plying their trade? It just basic technique. We would criticise L2 players for some of the ineptitude shown last night.

As for not lumping if forward, I saw endless hit an hope balls into the box, very few of which seemed designed to pick out a specific player. Luckily the ball twice broke kindly from a corner and fell to a guy who can take a chance when it's offered and showed great skill and composure in doing so.

I'm glad we managed to win, but I am disappointed at how poor some of our players were. I don't have an issue with Alli who I rate as a player but seemed to be carrying an injury, he certainly didn't look his usual self. But for me Sterling and Linguard in particular looked pretty dire.

I don't expect us to be world beaters. The reason is that we don't have the players good enough to be world beaters. But I do expect something rather better than we saw last night from certain players.

On that basis then Messi is sh$t because he misses 1 in 4 penalties? I really didn't think we saw endless hit an hope balls into the box - I must have been watching a different game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
Ipswin
June 19, 2018, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Les Brechin

You're only drunk off cos that late goal cost you 2 points in the Prediction League.  

Errrm well there is that, I was celebrating the 1-1  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
Squinter
June 19, 2018, 12:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MarinerMal
Can't believe all the negative comments on here. I'm really not sure what people expect from this team. As far as I am aware nobody expected England to win this but this is a young squad, the youngest there, who played with more maturity then many of their much more renowned predecessors.

First 30 minutes we played some of the best stuff I'd seen from any team so far. Yes we squandered some very good chances and that will have to improve but the fact we created so many chances is a positive.

Tunisia pressed higher when we went a goal up and caused us a few problems but apart from Tunisia's penalty, I don't remember another threat on our goal in the entire match.

The 2nd half was different and there was no way we could continue with the same pace of the 1st half but this is were the maturity came into it. Previous England sides would have resorted to longer and longer balls, hopeful hoofs into the box but this side kept to their game plan.

England kept the ball, moved the opposition around and gradually wore them down without looking particularly dangerous. But then with the introductions of Rashford and Loftus-Cheek the tempo was picked up and England got their just deserts because Tunisia tired, allowing Kane to be unmarked to score.

Yes, there is room for improvement and no we aren't going to win it but, for me, that was a good performance against a Tunisia team who had some decent results in the build up including holding out against Spain for 84 minutes before losing 1-0.

It has become so fashionable to critcise England, people don't recognise a good performance when they see it.

Good post Mal.  
Let's not forget too that Tunisia came for a point and parked the bus.  It's so difficult now to beat teams now playing to this tactic, look at what Man United did to Liverpool's strike force when they parked the bus.  Even Spain struggled to beat Tunisia.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Tunisia Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.