This thread currently has 6,328 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 11, 2018, 7:39am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197

I see John Motson retires this Sunday after 50 years with the BBC.
Motson's final Match of the Day commentary is Crystal Palace v West Brom on Sunday, 13 May, the last day of the Premier League season.

True commentating legend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44014836

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
diehardmariner
May 11, 2018, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
Might be in the minority but I've always thought Motson was a terrible commentator.

Concentrated far too much on living up to the parody of himself, a fate since suffered by Jonathan Pearce, Clive Tyldesley and Martin Tyler.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
LH
May 11, 2018, 8:06am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Hasn’t had a memorable commentary moment in well over ten years. Should have retired years ago. The BBC always give him the worst game of the weekend too so maybe they’ve been trying to push him out?

I remember finding him shouting “Seaman is coming out! Seaman is coming out” during the 2002 World Cup hilarious as a 12 year old at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Doctor Sanchez
May 11, 2018, 8:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from diehardmariner
Might be in the minority but I've always thought Motson was a terrible commentator.

Concentrated far too much on living up to the parody of himself, a fate since suffered by Jonathan Pearce, Clive Tyldesley and Martin Tyler.

I agree, his commentary was pretty poor.  He'd often get things completely mixed up and it was like he was watching a different game sometimes.  However his voice was the defining sound of football commentary, like Murray Walker with Formula 1 and Brian Johnston with cricket.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
ginnywings
May 11, 2018, 8:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,120
Gold Stars: 548
He may be an institution, but he makes my teeth itch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Roast Em Bobby
May 11, 2018, 8:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Always thought he was too reliant on stats, not very good at all in terms of reading a game or tactics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 11, 2018, 8:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A broadcaster to be respected for knowledge and longevity rather than liked for his commentary. I always felt he was commentating for the radio rather than letting the pictures tell the story of the game. Too many times I had to turn off the volume or shout at the telly for him to shut up.

We will miss the coat though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Posh Harry
May 11, 2018, 8:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

Agree. Never liked Motson. Always thought Barry Davis was a much better commentator during those years. Also agree about Pearce who is well up himself.

The only one I would defo disagree with you about is Tyler who I think is an excellent commentator. All about opinions though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Tradjazz
May 11, 2018, 8:41am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
Always turn the sound off when it's Motson or that clown Pearce. Saw a bit of the Brazilian Cup game last night and the commentator only said the player's name who was in possession. No opinions of the state of play.
A lot better IMHO

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 29
diehardmariner
May 11, 2018, 8:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
I used to really like Tyler, I thought he was the best by an absolute mile but then he seemed to develop this arrogance.

I like the commentator to describe what's happening and the pundit to provide that insight as the ex-professional.  Tyler seems to think, in my opinion, that by association of hanging out with the likes of Neville and Carragher, he's now got 100 England caps under his belt.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Ipswin
May 11, 2018, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez

I agree, his commentary was pretty poor.  He'd often get things completely mixed up and it was like he was watching a different game sometimes.  However his voice was the defining sound of football commentary, like Murray Walker with Formula 1 and Brian Johnston with cricket.

Not in the same league as Walker or Johnston (or even Arlott or Henry Blofeld) and for football give me Brian Moore or David Coleman any day

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Grimal
May 11, 2018, 10:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
I prefered Kenneth Wolstenholme or Brian Moore, perhaps the reason being my hearing was much better in those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Garth
May 11, 2018, 10:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
In days of old when managers were bold
and opinions of amateurs not stated
listening was joy for a young boy
cause  commentators just commentated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
May 11, 2018, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I think Motson is the worst commentator of the lot. All that screeching and artificial excitement - often at the wrong moments. Not sure how he has become such an icon to be honest, but credit to him for doing it for 50 years.

It is funny how you either take to (or not) commentators. My all time worst commentator is Dave Gibbons of the local radio scene - he really is a shocker but he is so bad you have to listen to it in a perverse sort of way as it is entertainment in a fashion. To be fair to them all though I don't suppose it is as easy as it looks / sounds.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
mariner chopper
May 11, 2018, 11:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Cannot stand Jonathan Pearce, dreading the World Cup games he'll get, watch it be at least 2 England ones...

His level was, and always will be Robot Wars
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
May 11, 2018, 11:56am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
I think Motson is the worst commentator of the lot. All that screeching and artificial excitement - often at the wrong moments. Not sure how he has become such an icon to be honest, but credit to him for doing it for 50 years.

It is funny how you either take to (or not) commentators. My all time worst commentator is Dave Gibbons of the local radio scene - he really is a shocker but he is so bad you have to listen to it in a perverse sort of way as it is entertainment in a fashion. To be fair to them all though I don't suppose it is as easy as it looks / sounds.

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds but I'm with you on Gibbons. Horrible blast from the past when he was commentating for Humberside at FGR last week. Can he really never have watched Alan Partridge? The similarities are hard to ignore. He spent most of the game telling us how he was 'great friends' with this player or that, and then going off on dull reveries about Devon and Gloucestershire, punctuated with the odd high-pitched shriek when someone got near the penalty box. Hated to listen to him in the 80s/90s, whenever it was, he's just as bad now. Motson's rubbish too...!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
moosey_club
May 11, 2018, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Current Motson is past his sell by date....early Motson was decent....technology and times have caught up and overtook his style. While he had a head for stats and trivia in the pre "Google" age that was fine,  but now we all know that stuff from the pre match info and official stats so becomes tedious.

Makes alot of pretty obvious real time errors now which are compounded with the endless angles and slow mo replays but in his day was a good enough commentator.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
moosey_club
May 11, 2018, 12:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds but I'm with you on Gibbons. Horrible blast from the past when he was commentating for Humberside at FGR last week. Can he really never have watched Alan Partridge? The similarities are hard to ignore. He spent most of the game telling us how he was 'great friends' with this player or that, and then going off on dull reveries about Devon and Gloucestershire, punctuated with the odd high-pitched shriek when someone got near the penalty box. Hated to listen to him in the 80s/90s, whenever it was, he's just as bad now. Motson's rubbish too...!

There was a cracker on the FGR game...as you say rattling on about nothing at all to do with the game ...then ..

." Oooohhh a header there just flashed past the post, that was a great chance, good cross in from the right, i think he could have done better with that don't you Martin ? Yes great ball in there, unlucky, just didnt quite get enough on it ,  Cardwell just ..."

Oh it was a chance for us was it ????  Useless commentator.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Maringer
May 11, 2018, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Peter Drury yet. Makes me want to put my head through the telly just to shut him up. David Squires has him right:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....-if-not-for-dreaming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
RichMariner
May 11, 2018, 12:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I remember Gibbons from the early 90s... used to get mega excited - his high-pitched squealing was both awful and (mildly) entertaining.

I really liked Brian Moore's commentary style. He was very minimalist. I always find TV commentators say too much when they're best adding to what we're seeing, not simply describing what's happening.

I remember doing commentary for Compass FM (those dark days) at Macclesfield on a freezing cold Tuesday night. The mic had a faulty connection and it would cut out if I moved even slightly. I had no co-commentator and had to find things to say during pauses for goal kicks and I remember thinking then that commentating on sport for radio was far, far more difficult than commentating for TV.

Mind you, interviewing Mike Newell live on air when he's in a foul mood trumps all that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Abdul19
May 11, 2018, 1:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Maringer
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Peter Drury yet. Makes me want to put my head through the telly just to shut him up. David Squires has him right:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....-if-not-for-dreaming

I was going to post exactly that!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Mallyner
May 11, 2018, 1:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
About the only time I have seen or heard him is on Football Focus and he seems a nice guy and we'll regarded. I don't watch other games, I am only interested in Grimsby.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
TownSNAFU5
May 11, 2018, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I thought that all the BBC national radio football commentators from many years ago were excellent.

John Motson told you details that you did not need or want to know.  Although he initially worked for BBC radio. his first TV commentary was the NL Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup replay in 1972. One of the most famous and biggest shocks in football.   Motson was sent as it was supposed to be a routine win for Newcastle.  Ideal for a rookie.

The result and his commentary made him famous and launched his career.

Despite Hereford being able to sell out the 15,000 tickets a few times over, I was offered a free ticket. I was living in Hereford and had started an RAF Apprenticeship.  Copying one of the best moments from the film Good Will Hunting, I did not go to the match, for a much less profound reason than Robin Williams did in the film. Much to my regret ever since. I blame Motty!

Hereford was only a small city but they took 8,000 fans to Newcastle for the first game.  In return ticketless Newcastle fans were climbing the walls to get in at Edgar Street. Geordie  Some Geordie "Boot girls" were taking on the local skinheads.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
FishOutOfWater
May 11, 2018, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mallyner
About the only time I have seen or heard him is on Football Focus and he seems a nice guy and we'll regarded. I don't watch other games, I am only interested in Grimsby.

In the back of my mind I am almost certain that it was Motson who used to wear a GTFC tie when he did the commentary at F A Cup finals, so for that alone I always had a softish spot for him

I'm not 100% sure how it came about but think he was presented with it back in the McMenemy days and he used to wear it as some kind of ritual for the big day at Wembley

Or did I dream all this?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
May 11, 2018, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RichMariner
I remember Gibbons from the early 90s... used to get mega excited - his high-pitched squealing was both awful and (mildly) entertaining.

I really liked Brian Moore's commentary style. He was very minimalist. I always find TV commentators say too much when they're best adding to what we're seeing, not simply describing what's happening.

I remember doing commentary for Compass FM (those dark days) at Macclesfield on a freezing cold Tuesday night. The mic had a faulty connection and it would cut out if I moved even slightly. I had no co-commentator and had to find things to say during pauses for goal kicks and I remember thinking then that commentating on sport for radio was far, far more difficult than commentating for TV.

Mind you, interviewing Mike Newell live on air when he's in a foul mood trumps all that.

Oh that was you was it? Right up there with the best of em I would say...
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
gary_elton
May 11, 2018, 6:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I quite like Darren Fletcher.... he was superb on radio... you could picture everything going on by his commentary

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
May 11, 2018, 6:39pm
Guest User
Green (I love Liverpool but surely sound neutral) on five live is the worst ever.  Replays during live play on TV is feking annoying. 4 so called experts at half time is a waste of money.( I know they need 4  to get 2  brain cells) . Motson although ott  does his homework still doesn't  understand the game but best of the rest who are overpaid and crap.
Reply: 26 - 29
Rick12
May 11, 2018, 6:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Loved John Motsons style.Kind of suited to the BBC with his demeanour

Hence whenever the world cups are on always prefer BBC to ITV. Always think their  journalism is a bit more polished

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
petethemariner
May 11, 2018, 10:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think Motson's finest moment was the Euro Semi Final  England v Germany, as the Germans equalised he screeched in that iritating tone only he could reach 'KUNTZ' (the name of the scorer) accurate in more ways than one, but very funny! (although i didn't think so at the time).
Vastly overrated as a commentator in my opinion, in the days when the FA cup final was on ITV and BBC i would always watch ITV as i thought the late Brian Moore was a far superior commentator.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Vance Warner
May 12, 2018, 7:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,794
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mariner chopper
Cannot stand Jonathan Pearce, dreading the World Cup games he'll get, watch it be at least 2 England ones...

His level was, and always will be Robot Wars

Completely agree with this. He seems to think we want his opinion as if he's some sort of expert. Most of the time he gets it wrong anyway. He also needs to take a look at Barry Davis' commentary and let the football do most of the talking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Motson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.