Abdul19
May 11, 2018, 1:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Maringer
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Peter Drury yet. Makes me want to put my head through the telly just to shut him up. David Squires has him right:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....-if-not-for-dreaming

I was going to post exactly that!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Mallyner
May 11, 2018, 1:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
About the only time I have seen or heard him is on Football Focus and he seems a nice guy and we'll regarded. I don't watch other games, I am only interested in Grimsby.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
TownSNAFU5
May 11, 2018, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
I thought that all the BBC national radio football commentators from many years ago were excellent.

John Motson told you details that you did not need or want to know.  Although he initially worked for BBC radio. his first TV commentary was the NL Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup replay in 1972. One of the most famous and biggest shocks in football.   Motson was sent as it was supposed to be a routine win for Newcastle.  Ideal for a rookie.

The result and his commentary made him famous and launched his career.

Despite Hereford being able to sell out the 15,000 tickets a few times over, I was offered a free ticket. I was living in Hereford and had started an RAF Apprenticeship.  Copying one of the best moments from the film Good Will Hunting, I did not go to the match, for a much less profound reason than Robin Williams did in the film. Much to my regret ever since. I blame Motty!

Hereford was only a small city but they took 8,000 fans to Newcastle for the first game.  In return ticketless Newcastle fans were climbing the walls to get in at Edgar Street. Geordie  Some Geordie "Boot girls" were taking on the local skinheads.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
FishOutOfWater
May 11, 2018, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mallyner
About the only time I have seen or heard him is on Football Focus and he seems a nice guy and we'll regarded. I don't watch other games, I am only interested in Grimsby.

In the back of my mind I am almost certain that it was Motson who used to wear a GTFC tie when he did the commentary at F A Cup finals, so for that alone I always had a softish spot for him

I'm not 100% sure how it came about but think he was presented with it back in the McMenemy days and he used to wear it as some kind of ritual for the big day at Wembley

Or did I dream all this?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
May 11, 2018, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RichMariner
I remember Gibbons from the early 90s... used to get mega excited - his high-pitched squealing was both awful and (mildly) entertaining.

I really liked Brian Moore's commentary style. He was very minimalist. I always find TV commentators say too much when they're best adding to what we're seeing, not simply describing what's happening.

I remember doing commentary for Compass FM (those dark days) at Macclesfield on a freezing cold Tuesday night. The mic had a faulty connection and it would cut out if I moved even slightly. I had no co-commentator and had to find things to say during pauses for goal kicks and I remember thinking then that commentating on sport for radio was far, far more difficult than commentating for TV.

Mind you, interviewing Mike Newell live on air when he's in a foul mood trumps all that.

Oh that was you was it? Right up there with the best of em I would say...
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
gary_elton
May 11, 2018, 6:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I quite like Darren Fletcher.... he was superb on radio... you could picture everything going on by his commentary

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
May 11, 2018, 6:39pm
Guest User
Green (I love Liverpool but surely sound neutral) on five live is the worst ever.  Replays during live play on TV is feking annoying. 4 so called experts at half time is a waste of money.( I know they need 4  to get 2  brain cells) . Motson although ott  does his homework still doesn't  understand the game but best of the rest who are overpaid and crap.
Reply: 26 - 29
Rick12
May 11, 2018, 6:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Loved John Motsons style.Kind of suited to the BBC with his demeanour

Hence whenever the world cups are on always prefer BBC to ITV. Always think their  journalism is a bit more polished

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
petethemariner
May 11, 2018, 10:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think Motson's finest moment was the Euro Semi Final  England v Germany, as the Germans equalised he screeched in that iritating tone only he could reach 'KUNTZ' (the name of the scorer) accurate in more ways than one, but very funny! (although i didn't think so at the time).
Vastly overrated as a commentator in my opinion, in the days when the FA cup final was on ITV and BBC i would always watch ITV as i thought the late Brian Moore was a far superior commentator.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Vance Warner
May 12, 2018, 7:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,807
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mariner chopper
Cannot stand Jonathan Pearce, dreading the World Cup games he'll get, watch it be at least 2 England ones...

His level was, and always will be Robot Wars

Completely agree with this. He seems to think we want his opinion as if he's some sort of expert. Most of the time he gets it wrong anyway. He also needs to take a look at Barry Davis' commentary and let the football do most of the talking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Motson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.