Ipswin
May 11, 2018, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez

I agree, his commentary was pretty poor.  He'd often get things completely mixed up and it was like he was watching a different game sometimes.  However his voice was the defining sound of football commentary, like Murray Walker with Formula 1 and Brian Johnston with cricket.

Not in the same league as Walker or Johnston (or even Arlott or Henry Blofeld) and for football give me Brian Moore or David Coleman any day

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Grimal
May 11, 2018, 10:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
I prefered Kenneth Wolstenholme or Brian Moore, perhaps the reason being my hearing was much better in those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Garth
May 11, 2018, 10:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
In days of old when managers were bold
and opinions of amateurs not stated
listening was joy for a young boy
cause  commentators just commentated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
May 11, 2018, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I think Motson is the worst commentator of the lot. All that screeching and artificial excitement - often at the wrong moments. Not sure how he has become such an icon to be honest, but credit to him for doing it for 50 years.

It is funny how you either take to (or not) commentators. My all time worst commentator is Dave Gibbons of the local radio scene - he really is a shocker but he is so bad you have to listen to it in a perverse sort of way as it is entertainment in a fashion. To be fair to them all though I don't suppose it is as easy as it looks / sounds.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
mariner chopper
May 11, 2018, 11:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Cannot stand Jonathan Pearce, dreading the World Cup games he'll get, watch it be at least 2 England ones...

His level was, and always will be Robot Wars
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
May 11, 2018, 11:56am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
I think Motson is the worst commentator of the lot. All that screeching and artificial excitement - often at the wrong moments. Not sure how he has become such an icon to be honest, but credit to him for doing it for 50 years.

It is funny how you either take to (or not) commentators. My all time worst commentator is Dave Gibbons of the local radio scene - he really is a shocker but he is so bad you have to listen to it in a perverse sort of way as it is entertainment in a fashion. To be fair to them all though I don't suppose it is as easy as it looks / sounds.

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds but I'm with you on Gibbons. Horrible blast from the past when he was commentating for Humberside at FGR last week. Can he really never have watched Alan Partridge? The similarities are hard to ignore. He spent most of the game telling us how he was 'great friends' with this player or that, and then going off on dull reveries about Devon and Gloucestershire, punctuated with the odd high-pitched shriek when someone got near the penalty box. Hated to listen to him in the 80s/90s, whenever it was, he's just as bad now. Motson's rubbish too...!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
moosey_club
May 11, 2018, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Current Motson is past his sell by date....early Motson was decent....technology and times have caught up and overtook his style. While he had a head for stats and trivia in the pre "Google" age that was fine,  but now we all know that stuff from the pre match info and official stats so becomes tedious.

Makes alot of pretty obvious real time errors now which are compounded with the endless angles and slow mo replays but in his day was a good enough commentator.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
moosey_club
May 11, 2018, 12:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds but I'm with you on Gibbons. Horrible blast from the past when he was commentating for Humberside at FGR last week. Can he really never have watched Alan Partridge? The similarities are hard to ignore. He spent most of the game telling us how he was 'great friends' with this player or that, and then going off on dull reveries about Devon and Gloucestershire, punctuated with the odd high-pitched shriek when someone got near the penalty box. Hated to listen to him in the 80s/90s, whenever it was, he's just as bad now. Motson's rubbish too...!

There was a cracker on the FGR game...as you say rattling on about nothing at all to do with the game ...then ..

." Oooohhh a header there just flashed past the post, that was a great chance, good cross in from the right, i think he could have done better with that don't you Martin ? Yes great ball in there, unlucky, just didnt quite get enough on it ,  Cardwell just ..."

Oh it was a chance for us was it ????  Useless commentator.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Maringer
May 11, 2018, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Peter Drury yet. Makes me want to put my head through the telly just to shut him up. David Squires has him right:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....-if-not-for-dreaming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
RichMariner
May 11, 2018, 12:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I remember Gibbons from the early 90s... used to get mega excited - his high-pitched squealing was both awful and (mildly) entertaining.

I really liked Brian Moore's commentary style. He was very minimalist. I always find TV commentators say too much when they're best adding to what we're seeing, not simply describing what's happening.

I remember doing commentary for Compass FM (those dark days) at Macclesfield on a freezing cold Tuesday night. The mic had a faulty connection and it would cut out if I moved even slightly. I had no co-commentator and had to find things to say during pauses for goal kicks and I remember thinking then that commentating on sport for radio was far, far more difficult than commentating for TV.

Mind you, interviewing Mike Newell live on air when he's in a foul mood trumps all that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Motson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.