This thread currently has 6,329 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 11, 2018, 7:39am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I see John Motson retires this Sunday after 50 years with the BBC.
Motson's final Match of the Day commentary is Crystal Palace v West Brom on Sunday, 13 May, the last day of the Premier League season.

True commentating legend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44014836

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
diehardmariner
May 11, 2018, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
Might be in the minority but I've always thought Motson was a terrible commentator.

Concentrated far too much on living up to the parody of himself, a fate since suffered by Jonathan Pearce, Clive Tyldesley and Martin Tyler.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
LH
May 11, 2018, 8:06am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,504
Gold Stars: 173
Hasn’t had a memorable commentary moment in well over ten years. Should have retired years ago. The BBC always give him the worst game of the weekend too so maybe they’ve been trying to push him out?

I remember finding him shouting “Seaman is coming out! Seaman is coming out” during the 2002 World Cup hilarious as a 12 year old at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Doctor Sanchez
May 11, 2018, 8:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from diehardmariner
Might be in the minority but I've always thought Motson was a terrible commentator.

Concentrated far too much on living up to the parody of himself, a fate since suffered by Jonathan Pearce, Clive Tyldesley and Martin Tyler.

I agree, his commentary was pretty poor.  He'd often get things completely mixed up and it was like he was watching a different game sometimes.  However his voice was the defining sound of football commentary, like Murray Walker with Formula 1 and Brian Johnston with cricket.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
ginnywings
May 11, 2018, 8:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
He may be an institution, but he makes my teeth itch.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Roast Em Bobby
May 11, 2018, 8:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Always thought he was too reliant on stats, not very good at all in terms of reading a game or tactics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 11, 2018, 8:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A broadcaster to be respected for knowledge and longevity rather than liked for his commentary. I always felt he was commentating for the radio rather than letting the pictures tell the story of the game. Too many times I had to turn off the volume or shout at the telly for him to shut up.

We will miss the coat though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Posh Harry
May 11, 2018, 8:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

Agree. Never liked Motson. Always thought Barry Davis was a much better commentator during those years. Also agree about Pearce who is well up himself.

The only one I would defo disagree with you about is Tyler who I think is an excellent commentator. All about opinions though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Tradjazz
May 11, 2018, 8:41am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
Always turn the sound off when it's Motson or that clown Pearce. Saw a bit of the Brazilian Cup game last night and the commentator only said the player's name who was in possession. No opinions of the state of play.
A lot better IMHO

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 29
diehardmariner
May 11, 2018, 8:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
I used to really like Tyler, I thought he was the best by an absolute mile but then he seemed to develop this arrogance.

I like the commentator to describe what's happening and the pundit to provide that insight as the ex-professional.  Tyler seems to think, in my opinion, that by association of hanging out with the likes of Neville and Carragher, he's now got 100 England caps under his belt.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Motson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.