Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield Awards.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

Luke Summerfield Awards.

This thread currently has 7,356 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
May 9, 2018, 8:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,717
Gold Stars: 28
Summerfield has been excellent, I’ll be very disappointed if he’s not with us next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Cloudy
May 9, 2018, 8:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Bigdog
I've seen the comment "if he had someone alongside him" on a lot of threads. How about we sign players that don't need babysitting by another player to make up for their deficiencies? The knock on effect is we don't get the best of the other player either. We need every player to do their own jobs to get the best results we can..

Summers and Collins deserve another year in the squad, but their ultimate effectiveness as first choice starters? Not for me. If we are going to progress we'll need better and different in those positions. We conceded plenty and we didn't create much over a season and the reasons for that can't be laid totally at Slade's door and be forgotten about..

Football has always been about partnerships for me. Central defenders that compliment one another, full backs and wide midfielders and strikers work better in a partnership.
Having sad that Summerfield is certainly worth another deal. His work rate is infectious  and by and large is passing is decent despite the occasional blooper which often gets to overshadow his overall game
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
1mickylyons
May 9, 2018, 9:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
All depends about systems but I would think most Town fans would see LS being the best of our holding midfielders and in LG 2 terms he was on a par with most. I would have been disappointed if I where LS with my goal return for mins played but that`s not really is role in the side is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
A Brace Of Tees
May 9, 2018, 9:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Cloudy

Football has always been about partnerships for me. Central defenders that compliment one another, full backs and wide midfielders and strikers work better in a partnership.
Having sad that Summerfield is certainly worth another deal. His work rate is infectious  and by and large is passing is decent despite the occasional blooper which often gets to overshadow his overall game

Partnerships is an outmoded British concept. If you look at the best teams that have played this game - Brazil 1970, Holland's 'total football' which followed, Spain's dominance a few years ago, the title winning teams of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City - none of them relied heavily on so-called 'partnerships' as it was the concept of the whole team interacting and interchanging with one another.

I get the feeling that Michael Jolley will want a more flexible approach from his team next season rather than rely on any outdated approach such as 'partnerships'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
Bigdog
May 9, 2018, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

Partnerships is an outmoded British concept. If you look at the best teams that have played this game - Brazil 1970, Holland's 'total football' which followed, Spain's dominance a few years ago, the title winning teams of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City - none of them relied heavily on so-called 'partnerships' as it was the concept of the whole team interacting and interchanging with one another.

I get the feeling that Michael Jolley will want a more flexible approach from his team next season rather than rely on any outdated approach such as 'partnerships'.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Winning teams have a more cohesive unit with interchangeable players rather than a mish-mash of players with compensating attributes..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
Maringer
May 9, 2018, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,498
Gold Stars: 185
For a team generally lacking in pace and athleticism last season, Summerfield's ability to get around the pitch, making challenges and generally winning the ball was a real bonus and we missed him when he was out injured. His passing was much improved from last season and he made few errors across the course of the year. Less said about his shooting the better, however! I'd certainly give him at least 1 more year and possibly 2. He's only 30 so ought to be more than physically capable of keeping up his workrate for the next couple of years. A goal or two would be nice.

With the resurgence of Rose over the past month (not to mention the discovery of his long throw which makes a big difference), it is going to be tough to drop either of them. I do wonder if they are perhaps better suited to a midfield 3, however? A lot depends on what sort of wide players we have available at the start of next season. Hard-running, hard-working wingers could make a midfield pairing workable though it would be nice to have Clifton playing as well to see how he can develop into a central midfield role. Perhaps Summerfield sitting behind a Rose/Clifton midfield pairing if we try playing 3 in the middle?

Obviously, if better players are signed, any of them would have to make way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Cloudy
May 9, 2018, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

Fine at the levels you quote but this is 4th tier English football when the skills level are not at those of Brazil, Spain, Man City etc.

Successful teams at this level are well organised, do the basics well and above all play as a team. You are not going to get players with the skill base required to win the World Cup. A sprinkling of flair yes but if you think players at this level are going to play interchangeable sexy football you are living in dreamland. IMO of course
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
Townee82
May 9, 2018, 10:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
The player alongside him is not meant to make up deficiencies more to compliment his industriousness .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
sam gy
May 9, 2018, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Hes  improved definitely but good enough to be in a promotion winning midfield I have my doubts and as for notts county is that the same notts county who chesterfield tore apart in a local derby only a couple of weeks earlier a very up and down team .

Say what you want about Notts County, but the fact of the matter is that they are a play off side, whether you think they're any good or not. They are where we want to be.

Just goes to show that League 2 isn't full of amazing teams and if you can get a decent run together you can be in and amongst it.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
sam gy
May 9, 2018, 10:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I think Summers has been the most consistent player this season - and we definitely missed him when injured. He's got energy, passion and can pick a pass. Gotta be worth another deal.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield Awards.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.