Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield Awards.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 222 Guests

Luke Summerfield Awards.

This thread currently has 7,343 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
May 9, 2018, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

Partnerships is an outmoded British concept. If you look at the best teams that have played this game - Brazil 1970, Holland's 'total football' which followed, Spain's dominance a few years ago, the title winning teams of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City - none of them relied heavily on so-called 'partnerships' as it was the concept of the whole team interacting and interchanging with one another.

I get the feeling that Michael Jolley will want a more flexible approach from his team next season rather than rely on any outdated approach such as 'partnerships'.

Of the four English teams you've listed, all have benefited from having a player who did the dirty work or have since suffered in their absence.  The Arsenal Invincible team had Gilberto, Man Utd have had a massive upsurge in results this season since bringing in Matic, Chelsea practically transformed themselves from a mid-table side to title winners by signing Kante (prior to that Makelele was key to their title successes in the early Mourinho years), Man City this season wouldn't be the same without Fernandinho.

At this level, you're simply not going to get two midfielders who can do everything.  If you're lucky enough to get one who can do a bit of everything, you're going to want to concentrate his efforts on further upfield.  The most likely scenario is that you get a guy who can create/score but isn't as hard working or effective at the dirty side of the game, so you compliment him with someone who can do that role.  In our case and in my opinion, Summerfield would be far, far more effective than Rose.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Kris2
May 9, 2018, 12:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Rose has a couple of good games and scores a couple of goals and suddenly everyone loves him. Did everyone forget that he was pretty rubbish for much of the season? It doesn't feel like long ago that the same faces praising him were calling for him to never pull on the black and white stripes again.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
moosey_club
May 9, 2018, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Not technically good enough I’m afraid much improved but if he’s your main man in midfield next year expect more of the same. The lower end of the table is were he’s familiar with not by chance, we simply need better. Having said that unlike some he worked his socks off most games and looked really committed to the cause that I can’t fault.

With you there Dapperz....while it seems harsh it is realistic....could he be utilised by Jolley in a different squad with additional quality ? Maybe,  as one thing for certain he has a fantastic engine and his in game fitness levels have been outstanding....him Rose and Woolford in the centre has given us a slightly better dynamic in the middle but we would need a better option than Woolford in there if we were to use Summerfield as a disruptor i think.

Credit to him though as from a dead man walking to multi player of the year is some turnaround.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
TownSNAFU5
May 9, 2018, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,850
Gold Stars: 42
Summerfield deserves praise.  

Jolley got the players and the team playing a lot better;  good enough to finish the season on top form and stay up.  A lot of the improvement happened when Summerfield came back in the midfield after injury. He worked his socks off, driving the team on with strong leadership and leading by example.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
KingstonMariner
May 9, 2018, 10:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Summerfield has been much improved for most of the season compared to last. Not quite a Jones the Stick transformation, but improved.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Zmariner
May 9, 2018, 11:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
We improved at the end of the season when he came back in from injury. Well worth a new contract, brave, hard working. Lacks confidence in front of goal as 2 good headed chances went begging at the end of the season . Huge credit and I remember Lincoln at home where we were poor and he worked his guts out to compete for us. Well done Luke and will be really pleased to see you in next year utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
Tommy
May 10, 2018, 12:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Well deserved awards for Summerfield last night IMO.

He got my vote for POTY because, whilst McKeown was excellent in the last 10 games, Summerfield showed consistency throughout the season for me.

Both worthy of taking home trophies so well done to them both.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
arryarryarry
May 10, 2018, 2:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Zmariner
We improved at the end of the season when he came back in from injury. Well worth a new contract, brave, hard working. Lacks confidence in front of goal as 2 good headed chances went begging at the end of the season . Huge credit and I remember Lincoln at home where we were poor and he worked his guts out to compete for us. Well done Luke and will be really pleased to see you in next year utm

I heard at the POY awards that he has been offered a reduced contract.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Garth
May 10, 2018, 3:19pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Zmariner

This,    ten others with the same attitude and some skill would see us in Europe

Well done Luke, but for understandably sentiment, would have been POY
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
Mrs Doyle
May 10, 2018, 3:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Summerfield's work rate is phenomenal he has been a bit unlucky with shots saved etc but he still can deliver a cracking corner or free kick if he had a John Nolan type player alongside him who knows certainly Woolford seems to play better in midfield. Summerfield was starting to play well with Dembele looking to feed the ball to him. Unfortunately, Dembele's form/confidence dipped quite a bit but could be something to build on if they both stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield Awards.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.