Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 296 Guests

Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?

This thread currently has 8,403 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
April 21, 2018, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Personally I'm looking forward to next season. Jolley has shown that he has something in my opinion. He's taken over a squad devoid of any talent or pace that was in complete free fall. He's instilled a better work rate, some much needed confidence and found a system that makes us competitive. He doesn't just do like for like substitutions, he thinks about the game. He's also clearly very bright, you can tell that just from his interviews.

If we're in League 2 next season, and I think we will be now, then we need a huge rebuild. We don't know what his recruitment will be like but we do know that he's interested in the psychology of the game so hopefully he'll get the right characters in that will give us a team spirit like we had in 2015/16. He also strikes me as the sort who will do his homework thoroughly and I have no doubt that he'll have a very good knowledge of players who we could feasibly sign and who would improve us. Unlike Slade who's recruitment was lazy to say the least.

He's managed to get something out of this squad in a short time frame, imagine what he could do with a decent group of players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 7:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91
Personally I'm looking forward to next season. Jolley has shown that he has something in my opinion. He's taken over a squad devoid of any talent or pace that was in complete free fall. He's instilled a better work rate, some much needed confidence and found a system that makes us competitive. He doesn't just do like for like substitutions, he thinks about the game. He's also clearly very bright, you can tell that just from his interviews.

If we're in League 2 next season, and I think we will be now, then we need a huge rebuild. We don't know what his recruitment will be like but we do know that he's interested in the psychology of the game so hopefully he'll get the right characters in that will give us a team spirit like we had in 2015/16. He also strikes me as the sort who will do his homework thoroughly and I have no doubt that he'll have a very good knowledge of players who we could feasibly sign and who would improve us. Unlike Slade who's recruitment was lazy to say the least.

He's managed to get something out of this squad in a short time frame, imagine what he could do with a decent group of players.

We will probably still have the same board regardless.

Fair play to Jolley in getting a tune out of a really struggling side, but do you honestly think the board will provide the required backing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
TheGoalKipper
April 21, 2018, 7:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
I think Brown would have done a good job but we shouldnt take a risk now. We know what Jolley is capable of and im confident he will push us up the table and away from relegation. Whether he can take us further we will just have to see but he's the best of the managers since we came up for sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
AussieMariner
April 21, 2018, 7:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Even if he only has the same budget that Slade has I think he will build a competitive squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
mariner91
April 21, 2018, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Fair play to Jolley in getting a tune out of a really struggling side, but do you honestly think the board will provide the required backing?

The fact that we'll have most of the squad leaving is a positive. Same budget in the hands of someone with more of an idea and fewer players with greater quality could go a long way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
Grim74
April 21, 2018, 7:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ska face

Fenty offered Brown the job but got turned down! Yet another example of how clueless the bloke is.

Once/if we are safe, then the ceasefire is over and hostilities must resume - FENTY OUT.

Hang on slow down a minute! Brown kind of did us a favour today by playing an under strength team, it's now all about assessing his full squad whilst throwing a few kids, like you would expect from any new manager with a team and nothing to play for.

End of the day Jolley was a huge gamble that fortunately seems to be paying off, but it was only a few weeks ago we had muppets on here screaming he's out of his depth!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
The Yard Dog
April 21, 2018, 7:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,498
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Macclesfield and Accrington have found you do not need the biggest budget to achieve success, with the right recruitment and the right manager, we can move in the right direction.
I believe we have the right chef and with the right ingredients, we have the recipe for a brighter future.
I still believe come on UTM.

I for one will be at the first home season next season regards of the league we are in or who is in control of GTFC, WHY? beacuse its in my blood.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 8:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

The fact that we'll have most of the squad leaving is a positive. Same budget in the hands of someone with more of an idea and fewer players with greater quality could go a long way.

I’m absolutely thrilled Jolley is steering us to safety, it’s certainly most welcome. I am just concious that it’s not a huge slice of bad luck or an unexplainable decline that has led us to have a shite season. We don’t invest in the squad, we sell key players at key moments and we don’t move quickly to keep those that are successful. Add that to all the other totally chaotic shite that goes on and you’ll understand my skepticism about possible success next season. We’ve been here before look at the seasons before we got relegated last time, huge warnings that weren’t heeded. What makes you think it will be any different this time?

It’s pleasing that he’ll be able to build pretty much from scratch. He’s won 2 games and I’m thrilled, but It’s way too early to know whether he’ll be a success in the long run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 8:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Macclesfield and Accrington have found you do not need the biggest budget to achieve success, with the right recruitment and the right manager, we can move in the right direction.
I believe we have the right chef and with the right ingredients, we have the recipe for a brighter future.
I still believe come on UTM.

I for one will be at the first home season next season regards of the league we are in or who is in control of GTFC, WHY? beacuse its in my blood.  

Askey has been manager at Macc since 2013 and he’s performed absolute miracles with them.

Accrington have an excellent owner and are a superbly run club. They have a cracking manager.

These are the extraordinary cases. Pinning our hopes on being lucky and appointing the right manager is not the best route to success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

Any bright star will be called that because of what they have achieved. They wont come to us in our league position as its a high risk job if they fail to recruit well. Look what Slades recruitment got us. It will be Jolley job now. Fenty will see he can certainly organise the team properly and motivate them to achieve what they are capable of. He just neeeds to recruit the quality to move us up the table. Anyone else is an unecessary risk

That was my point. Unless there is a bright star out there, that we can land right now, we should stick with Jolley and offer him a proper contract now.

I don't think the current board have got the sense to see that though. All they'll think is 'we don't know what league we'll be in yet' and not consider they could offer Jolley the job at £x if we go down, and £x+ if we stay up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.