Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 196 Guests

Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?

This thread currently has 8,401 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
April 21, 2018, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Looks like we got a result there then....
Private Message
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 6:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Yesterday's man versus tomorrow's man.

We got the latter.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
Mikey_345
April 21, 2018, 6:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,354
Gold Stars: 100
Said at the time and still stand by it; Jolley all day long.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
grimsby pete
April 21, 2018, 6:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Michael was a Jolley good appointment,

Well done Fenty ( did I really say that ) ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 6:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete

Is it a well done? It’s luck rather than judgement as the job was offered to Brown first.

Let’s not have this as some masterstroke appointment, we’d been turned down by more than one and we had very few options.

This season has still been a total horror show thanks to the board.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 6:32pm
Meths Drinker
If I was the board, I'd have a quick look around at who is likely to be available, and unless there's some bright star that we are likely to afford, I'd offer Jolley the position now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
ska face
April 21, 2018, 6:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from grimsby pete

Fenty offered Brown the job but got turned down! Yet another example of how clueless the bloke is.

Once/if we are safe, then the ceasefire is over and hostilities must resume - FENTY OUT.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
TheGoalKipper
April 21, 2018, 6:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from KingstonMariner
If I was the board, I'd have a quick look around at who is likely to be available, and unless there's some bright star that we are likely to afford, I'd offer Jolley the position now.

Any bright star will be called that because of what they have achieved. They wont come to us in our league position as its a high risk job if they fail to recruit well. Look what Slades recruitment got us. It will be Jolley job now. Fenty will see he can certainly organise the team properly and motivate them to achieve what they are capable of. He just neeeds to recruit the quality to move us up the table. Anyone else is an unecessary risk

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
LongEatonMariner
April 21, 2018, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Do we know for certain Brown was offered the job? It was just a rumour at the time.

Anyway who cares?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
Tommy
April 21, 2018, 6:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
There was clearly a discussion with Brown but that doesn't mean he was offered the job. He ruled himself out of the running but that doesn't necessarily mean he rejected an offer. I don't know either way.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
mariner91
April 21, 2018, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Personally I'm looking forward to next season. Jolley has shown that he has something in my opinion. He's taken over a squad devoid of any talent or pace that was in complete free fall. He's instilled a better work rate, some much needed confidence and found a system that makes us competitive. He doesn't just do like for like substitutions, he thinks about the game. He's also clearly very bright, you can tell that just from his interviews.

If we're in League 2 next season, and I think we will be now, then we need a huge rebuild. We don't know what his recruitment will be like but we do know that he's interested in the psychology of the game so hopefully he'll get the right characters in that will give us a team spirit like we had in 2015/16. He also strikes me as the sort who will do his homework thoroughly and I have no doubt that he'll have a very good knowledge of players who we could feasibly sign and who would improve us. Unlike Slade who's recruitment was lazy to say the least.

He's managed to get something out of this squad in a short time frame, imagine what he could do with a decent group of players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 7:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Personally I'm looking forward to next season. Jolley has shown that he has something in my opinion. He's taken over a squad devoid of any talent or pace that was in complete free fall. He's instilled a better work rate, some much needed confidence and found a system that makes us competitive. He doesn't just do like for like substitutions, he thinks about the game. He's also clearly very bright, you can tell that just from his interviews.

If we're in League 2 next season, and I think we will be now, then we need a huge rebuild. We don't know what his recruitment will be like but we do know that he's interested in the psychology of the game so hopefully he'll get the right characters in that will give us a team spirit like we had in 2015/16. He also strikes me as the sort who will do his homework thoroughly and I have no doubt that he'll have a very good knowledge of players who we could feasibly sign and who would improve us. Unlike Slade who's recruitment was lazy to say the least.

He's managed to get something out of this squad in a short time frame, imagine what he could do with a decent group of players.

We will probably still have the same board regardless.

Fair play to Jolley in getting a tune out of a really struggling side, but do you honestly think the board will provide the required backing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
TheGoalKipper
April 21, 2018, 7:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
I think Brown would have done a good job but we shouldnt take a risk now. We know what Jolley is capable of and im confident he will push us up the table and away from relegation. Whether he can take us further we will just have to see but he's the best of the managers since we came up for sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
AussieMariner
April 21, 2018, 7:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Even if he only has the same budget that Slade has I think he will build a competitive squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
mariner91
April 21, 2018, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Fair play to Jolley in getting a tune out of a really struggling side, but do you honestly think the board will provide the required backing?

The fact that we'll have most of the squad leaving is a positive. Same budget in the hands of someone with more of an idea and fewer players with greater quality could go a long way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
Grim74
April 21, 2018, 7:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from ska face

Fenty offered Brown the job but got turned down! Yet another example of how clueless the bloke is.

Once/if we are safe, then the ceasefire is over and hostilities must resume - FENTY OUT.

Hang on slow down a minute! Brown kind of did us a favour today by playing an under strength team, it's now all about assessing his full squad whilst throwing a few kids, like you would expect from any new manager with a team and nothing to play for.

End of the day Jolley was a huge gamble that fortunately seems to be paying off, but it was only a few weeks ago we had muppets on here screaming he's out of his depth!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
The Yard Dog
April 21, 2018, 7:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74

Macclesfield and Accrington have found you do not need the biggest budget to achieve success, with the right recruitment and the right manager, we can move in the right direction.
I believe we have the right chef and with the right ingredients, we have the recipe for a brighter future.
I still believe come on UTM.

I for one will be at the first home season next season regards of the league we are in or who is in control of GTFC, WHY? beacuse its in my blood.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 8:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

The fact that we'll have most of the squad leaving is a positive. Same budget in the hands of someone with more of an idea and fewer players with greater quality could go a long way.

I’m absolutely thrilled Jolley is steering us to safety, it’s certainly most welcome. I am just concious that it’s not a huge slice of bad luck or an unexplainable decline that has led us to have a shite season. We don’t invest in the squad, we sell key players at key moments and we don’t move quickly to keep those that are successful. Add that to all the other totally chaotic shite that goes on and you’ll understand my skepticism about possible success next season. We’ve been here before look at the seasons before we got relegated last time, huge warnings that weren’t heeded. What makes you think it will be any different this time?

It’s pleasing that he’ll be able to build pretty much from scratch. He’s won 2 games and I’m thrilled, but It’s way too early to know whether he’ll be a success in the long run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 8:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Macclesfield and Accrington have found you do not need the biggest budget to achieve success, with the right recruitment and the right manager, we can move in the right direction.
I believe we have the right chef and with the right ingredients, we have the recipe for a brighter future.
I still believe come on UTM.

I for one will be at the first home season next season regards of the league we are in or who is in control of GTFC, WHY? beacuse its in my blood.  

Askey has been manager at Macc since 2013 and he’s performed absolute miracles with them.

Accrington have an excellent owner and are a superbly run club. They have a cracking manager.

These are the extraordinary cases. Pinning our hopes on being lucky and appointing the right manager is not the best route to success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

Any bright star will be called that because of what they have achieved. They wont come to us in our league position as its a high risk job if they fail to recruit well. Look what Slades recruitment got us. It will be Jolley job now. Fenty will see he can certainly organise the team properly and motivate them to achieve what they are capable of. He just neeeds to recruit the quality to move us up the table. Anyone else is an unecessary risk

That was my point. Unless there is a bright star out there, that we can land right now, we should stick with Jolley and offer him a proper contract now.

I don't think the current board have got the sense to see that though. All they'll think is 'we don't know what league we'll be in yet' and not consider they could offer Jolley the job at £x if we go down, and £x+ if we stay up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
barralad
April 21, 2018, 8:51pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
Do we know for certain Brown was offered the job? It was just a rumour at the time.

Anyway who cares?!

No we dont...pure speculation...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
MuddyWaters
April 21, 2018, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43129069

At least it was BBC speculation!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 8:59pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43129069

At least it was BBC speculation!

They must have put someone in fear of his job then. Isn't that what usually happens when the BBC speculate?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
Cambs Mariner
April 21, 2018, 9:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
I think Jolley is our bright star for the future not only in managing GTFC but being involved in the running of the club. The future is Jolley well  Black and White.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

It’s hardly “pure speculation” when both parties agree they’d met and the manager in question has said he was offered it.
The club said they didn’t make him a “formal” offer, that doesn’t mean they didn’t ask him if he’d do it till the end of the season as Brown has suggested.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
pen penfras
April 21, 2018, 9:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71

That was my point. Unless there is a bright star out there, that we can land right now, we should stick with Jolley and offer him a proper contract now.

I don't think the current board have got the sense to see that though. All they'll think is 'we don't know what league we'll be in yet' and not consider they could offer Jolley the job at £x if we go down, and £x+ if we stay up.

What makes you say Jolley doesn't have a proper contract right now? I thought it was announced as a 6 month rolling contract. I can't see how he'd get sacked even if we did go down, and he says he wants to stay. I would imagine there's a clause in his contract dictating the salary based on what level we're at. That's normal in any contract in football, unless you're bonkers like Sunderland
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
rancido
April 21, 2018, 9:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96

Well Accrington have proved you don't need a big budget, just an astute manager and I think Jolley might just be that kind of manager.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2018, 9:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Well Accrington have proved you don't need a big budget, just an astute manager and I think Jolley might just be that kind of manager.

They also have an excellent owner and are exceptionally well run. Can we say that about Town?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
rancido
April 21, 2018, 9:32pm

Special Brew Drinker

They also have an excellent owner and are exceptionally well run. Can we say that about Town?

I was alluding to the subject of backing , which I think is there. We find ourselves in our current position because Slade misused his budget but I do admit that there are many parts of the running of the club that are poor.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
MuddyWaters
April 21, 2018, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Well, our PR has improved in the last fortnight due to it being 'on the pitch'.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
HertsGTFC
April 21, 2018, 10:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
So lets think about this,

One candidate - Intelligent, hungry self starter who has had a successful career to date and has been brave enough to educate himself to diversify his career and work his apprenticeship at one o the best run premier league clubs. This candidate also took the time to understand what the club is all about before his interview.

The other - Good career in one sector with 2 promotions but it did not end well with both clubs, Managed at the highest level but has recently pursued work at the lowest EFL level, maybe just to stay in the game? Apparently turned down the job due to money/terms.  

Regardless of what league we play in next season I'm glad we got Michael as where GTFC is concerned "he gets it" and will work really hard to take us forward.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
MarinerRob
April 21, 2018, 10:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Michael Jolley is likely to be here for the long term whereas Phil Brown would have used Town as a stop gap. In the Swindon program today he said he was his aim was to manage into the Premier League again (some hope there!) Not exactly commited to Swindon then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
promotion plaice
April 21, 2018, 10:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, our PR has improved in the last fortnight due to it being 'on the pitch'.

Who ever told JF to disappear off the scene in this time of crisis was a genius....the protests...JF himself....the rest of the board.....even Jolley........give who ever it was a medal.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Tommy
April 21, 2018, 10:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MarinerRob
Michael Jolley is likely to be here for the long term whereas Phil Brown would have used Town as a stop gap. In the Swindon program today he said he was his aim was to manage into the Premier League again (some hope there!) Not exactly commited to Swindon then!

I hope Jolley's ambition is to manage in the Premier League too.

Not that he'd say it publicly, but I'd have thought it is.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
MarinerRob
April 21, 2018, 10:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Yes I would think that he would. But, hopefully, he will want to build a reputation and legacy at Grimsby on the way. He 'gets' it about what Town is all about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
The Grim Reaper
April 21, 2018, 11:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Has anyone actually said that Brown was offered the job?

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

What makes you say Jolley doesn't have a proper contract right now? I thought it was announced as a 6 month rolling contract. I can't see how he'd get sacked even if we did go down, and he says he wants to stay. I would imagine there's a clause in his contract dictating the salary based on what level we're at. That's normal in any contract in football, unless you're bonkers like Sunderland

Where was it announced he was on a six month rolling contract?

Good if he is, and it'd be a  volte face by 'the club' since Fenty refused to answer Pete's question about Slade's length of contract.  

And if it is normal practice in football to have clauses dictating the salary based on what level we're at, why the intercourse did we mess around with all those 1 year contracts on the basis that 'we don't know what division we'll be in next season'? If it's normal practice, are you saying we've been running against the tide all these years PP? I dare say you're right and you've made a damning indictment of the way the club has been run.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
Tommy
April 21, 2018, 11:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
It was announced as an "undisclosed rolling contract" if I remember rightly this time. Rather than the 6-month rolling contract that it was publicly announced Hurst and Bignot were on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
promotion plaice
April 21, 2018, 11:44pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from grimsby pete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUt_2zGfPk4

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
pen penfras
April 22, 2018, 6:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71

Where was it announced he was on a six month rolling contract?

Good if he is, and it'd be a  volte face by 'the club' since Fenty refused to answer Pete's question about Slade's length of contract.  

And if it is normal practice in football to have clauses dictating the salary based on what level we're at, why the intercourse did we mess around with all those 1 year contracts on the basis that 'we don't know what division we'll be in next season'? If it's normal practice, are you saying we've been running against the tide all these years PP? I dare say you're right and you've made a damning indictment of the way the club has been run.

I'm certain I remember it being announced as a rolling contract, I thought it was PD when he announced it, but maybe I read it on the internet. I think the reason they didn't talk about Slade's contract length is because certain people in the press use it as a stick to beat the club with and if they don't know, then they can't stir up more shite. In reality, I don't see why any manager would have a problem with a 6 month rolling contract. It offers both parties a degree of protection and any manager who backs himself to succeed wouldn't care how much of a pay off they get if they get sacked.

As for the normal practice, it is widely known that contracts have clauses based on promotion and relegation in general. But that's not the only reason you wouldn't give a long term contract when you don't know what level you'll be at. If you are fighting for promotion like we were, then you don't want players tied down to 3 year contracts when you don't know if they can cut it at the levels above. Also, I'd say 50% of signings for a good manager turn out to be dogs, you don't want those players staying for 3 years (2 is bad enough for some that we have). On the other side of the fence, players aren't going to sign a long deal if they want to move up quickly and put themselves in the shop window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
cannylad68
April 22, 2018, 7:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Way too early to make a comparison.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
Bigdog
April 22, 2018, 8:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm certain I remember it being announced as a rolling contract, I thought it was PD when he announced it, but maybe I read it on the internet. I think the reason they didn't talk about Slade's contract length is because certain people in the press use it as a stick to beat the club with and if they don't know, then they can't stir up more shite. In reality, I don't see why any manager would have a problem with a 6 month rolling contract. It offers both parties a degree of protection and any manager who backs himself to succeed wouldn't care how much of a pay off they get if they get sacked.

As for the normal practice, it is widely known that contracts have clauses based on promotion and relegation in general. But that's not the only reason you wouldn't give a long term contract when you don't know what level you'll be at. If you are fighting for promotion like we were, then you don't want players tied down to 3 year contracts when you don't know if they can cut it at the levels above. Also, I'd say 50% of signings for a good manager turn out to be dogs, you don't want those players staying for 3 years (2 is bad enough for some that we have). On the other side of the fence, players aren't going to sign a long deal if they want to move up quickly and put themselves in the shop window.

Contradictory nonsense. You need people at the top of the club who have the foresight and footballing nous to know which coaches and which players are the ones to properly invest in. It puts a realisable market price on the club's assets and it will bring to an end to what seems to be like a perpetually revolving door every transfer window..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
ska face
April 22, 2018, 9:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from Grim74

Hang on slow down a minute! Brown kind of did us a favour today by playing an under strength team, it's now all about assessing his full squad whilst throwing a few kids, like you would expect from any new manager with a team and nothing to play for.

He might’ve done us a favour, but that’s not his job. His job was to push Swindon on from the healthy position they were in when he took over - playoff challengers and best home record in the division (or thereabouts) if I remember correctly.

He’s masterminded their plummet to the foot of the form table and consigned them to another year in this division. Not much point in him trying out youth team players when his contract only runs to the end of this season.

Looks like we’ve dodged another bullet of Fenty’s, Christ knows what position we’d be in if Brown had taken up the post. Always the danger with appointments like Brown who feel they’ve done it all and have nothing to prove.

Forgive me for not wanting everyone to forget how close we still are to being dragged out of the football league AGAIN under Honest John’s leadership. We can save the mutual fellatio for when we’re safe.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
MuddyWaters
April 22, 2018, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Contradictory nonsense. You need people at the top of the club who have the foresight and footballing nous to know which coaches and which players are the ones to properly invest in. It puts a realisable market price on the club's assets and it will bring to an end to what seems to be like a perpetually revolving door every transfer window..

You would have thought that the previous poster would have known that...oh, wait a minute...
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
rancido
April 22, 2018, 12:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

It may be contradictory but it certainly isn't nonsense. The football league is full of managers who were successes at one club but failures at another. The same goes for players , who for varying reasons, can flourish at one club and seem mediocre at another. It is always a gamble and certainly very hard for the " people at the top " to really know who to put their faith in. You only have to look at AB's career. He worked wonders with us twice but was very mediocre at WBA and did nothing at all at Rochdale or Lincoln.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Cloudy
April 22, 2018, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from pen penfras

Sums up the approach under our esteemed leader.

I would rather we were truthful and upfront than secretive just in case someone says something nasty. Not the way to live your life or run a business imo.

Dont be frightened or fearful, be open and honest. Gain far more respect and trust.

This is another reason why i desperately want change at the top
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Bigdog
April 22, 2018, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

It may be contradictory but it certainly isn't nonsense. The football league is full of managers who were successes at one club but failures at another. The same goes for players , who for varying reasons, can flourish at one club and seem mediocre at another. It is always a gamble and certainly very hard for the " people at the top " to really know who to put their faith in. You only have to look at AB's career. He worked wonders with us twice but was very mediocre at WBA and did nothing at all at Rochdale or Lincoln.

GTFC, foundations built on one year player contract gambles and hedging our bet six month rolling contracts while waiting for football fortune..

The actions of decision makers not having the ability to make solid, researched and calculated footballing decisions. No wonder we are where we are..

If the powers that be think every acquisition is a gamble, they shouldn't be in that position to make those decisions..

And if there's no-one else to fill their shoes, they should engage with the fans a whole lot better to boost income which will help to insure against any bad decisions through poor judgement..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
MuddyWaters
April 22, 2018, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

GTFC, foundations built on one year player contract gambles and hedging our bet six month rolling contracts while waiting for football fortune..

The actions of decision makers not having the ability to make solid, researched and calculated footballing decisions. No wonder we are where we are..

If the powers that be think every acquisition is a gamble, they shouldn't be in that position to make those decisions..

And if there's no-one else to fill their shoes, they should engage with the fans a whole lot better to boost income which will help to insure against any bad decisions through poor judgement..

Sums it up really.

Having a business plan that's based on 'football fortune' is about as sensible as backing a three-legged horse.

Hopefully there's a change in this mentality in the GTFC boardroom by way of new ownership because I can't see the current incumbents having the foresight to see that 15 years of poor leadership hasn't worked.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 22, 2018, 9:31pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

So why was he happy to give people in the press a stick to beat him with every other manager, before and after Slade? Absolute poppycock.

By your logic we'd only give 2 or 3 year contracts to players if we expect to be mid-table. As others have said, if decisions are taken on the basis of solid information then you should have the courage of your convictions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
RonMariner
April 23, 2018, 6:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
Based on what we have seen so far Jolley looks very capable. The board now need to support him with a good budget.

Bringing in journeymen that no one else wants is a false economy. Players are usually cheap for good reason. Yes, you may get the occasional gem like Paul Futcher, but more likely you end up with the likes of Kelly and Beret.

Whatever league we are in next year will require a core of good players. Whether it's the conference or league 2 we want to be at the top end of the table.

With Jolley we have a guy with more tactical nous than any Town manager since Buckley, and I include Hurst in that. But he needs the raw material to work with.  It will mean investment. But I think it's a risk worth taking under Jolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
Meza
April 23, 2018, 7:03pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
I have absolute fairh that JM will be here next season welli hope so anyway.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
Mighty_Mariner
April 23, 2018, 7:27pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
If Fenty decided not to allow Jolley to continue on his role surely that would surpass Any ridiculous decision he's ever made!! Anyone with half a brain cell can see MJ is a manager on the up and we're lucky to have him.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Tommy
April 23, 2018, 10:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Anyone else get the feeling MJ would be prepared to sacrifice some of the playing budget to use it on either more backroom staff or improvements to training facilities?

Wouldn't surprise me to see him do this as he's mentioned in interviews about developing the infrastructure and getting everything right off the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
Cloudy
April 23, 2018, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Tommy
Anyone else get the feeling MJ would be prepared to sacrifice some of the playing budget to use it on either more backroom staff or improvements to training facilities?

Wouldn't surprise me to see him do this as he's mentioned in interviews about developing the infrastructure and getting everything right off the pitch.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I would add that I wouldn't expect any marquee signings. Think he will be after attitude and willingness to buy in to his methods above ability.
Organisation and fitness can go a long way but although I would love to be Promotion challengers, if we can get in the top third and challenge for a play off spot that will be a significant step forward from this season!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2018, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Aye, agree with that. Smaller squad, better infrastructure. Build for the future. A proper build. Not like that Bertie the Bodger we had in charge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.