Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 142 Guests

Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?

This thread currently has 8,393 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 21, 2018, 10:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,892
Gold Stars: 225
So lets think about this,

One candidate - Intelligent, hungry self starter who has had a successful career to date and has been brave enough to educate himself to diversify his career and work his apprenticeship at one o the best run premier league clubs. This candidate also took the time to understand what the club is all about before his interview.

The other - Good career in one sector with 2 promotions but it did not end well with both clubs, Managed at the highest level but has recently pursued work at the lowest EFL level, maybe just to stay in the game? Apparently turned down the job due to money/terms.  

Regardless of what league we play in next season I'm glad we got Michael as where GTFC is concerned "he gets it" and will work really hard to take us forward.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
MarinerRob
April 21, 2018, 10:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
Michael Jolley is likely to be here for the long term whereas Phil Brown would have used Town as a stop gap. In the Swindon program today he said he was his aim was to manage into the Premier League again (some hope there!) Not exactly commited to Swindon then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
promotion plaice
April 21, 2018, 10:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,002
Gold Stars: 192
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, our PR has improved in the last fortnight due to it being 'on the pitch'.

Who ever told JF to disappear off the scene in this time of crisis was a genius....the protests...JF himself....the rest of the board.....even Jolley........give who ever it was a medal.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Tommy
April 21, 2018, 10:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MarinerRob
Michael Jolley is likely to be here for the long term whereas Phil Brown would have used Town as a stop gap. In the Swindon program today he said he was his aim was to manage into the Premier League again (some hope there!) Not exactly commited to Swindon then!

I hope Jolley's ambition is to manage in the Premier League too.

Not that he'd say it publicly, but I'd have thought it is.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
MarinerRob
April 21, 2018, 10:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
Yes I would think that he would. But, hopefully, he will want to build a reputation and legacy at Grimsby on the way. He 'gets' it about what Town is all about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
The Grim Reaper
April 21, 2018, 11:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
Has anyone actually said that Brown was offered the job?

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2018, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

What makes you say Jolley doesn't have a proper contract right now? I thought it was announced as a 6 month rolling contract. I can't see how he'd get sacked even if we did go down, and he says he wants to stay. I would imagine there's a clause in his contract dictating the salary based on what level we're at. That's normal in any contract in football, unless you're bonkers like Sunderland

Where was it announced he was on a six month rolling contract?

Good if he is, and it'd be a  volte face by 'the club' since Fenty refused to answer Pete's question about Slade's length of contract.  

And if it is normal practice in football to have clauses dictating the salary based on what level we're at, why the intercourse did we mess around with all those 1 year contracts on the basis that 'we don't know what division we'll be in next season'? If it's normal practice, are you saying we've been running against the tide all these years PP? I dare say you're right and you've made a damning indictment of the way the club has been run.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
Tommy
April 21, 2018, 11:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
It was announced as an "undisclosed rolling contract" if I remember rightly this time. Rather than the 6-month rolling contract that it was publicly announced Hurst and Bignot were on.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
promotion plaice
April 21, 2018, 11:44pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,002
Gold Stars: 192
Quoted from grimsby pete
Michael was a Jolley good appointment,

Well done Fenty ( did I really say that ) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUt_2zGfPk4

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
pen penfras
April 22, 2018, 6:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Where was it announced he was on a six month rolling contract?

Good if he is, and it'd be a  volte face by 'the club' since Fenty refused to answer Pete's question about Slade's length of contract.  

And if it is normal practice in football to have clauses dictating the salary based on what level we're at, why the intercourse did we mess around with all those 1 year contracts on the basis that 'we don't know what division we'll be in next season'? If it's normal practice, are you saying we've been running against the tide all these years PP? I dare say you're right and you've made a damning indictment of the way the club has been run.

I'm certain I remember it being announced as a rolling contract, I thought it was PD when he announced it, but maybe I read it on the internet. I think the reason they didn't talk about Slade's contract length is because certain people in the press use it as a stick to beat the club with and if they don't know, then they can't stir up more shite. In reality, I don't see why any manager would have a problem with a 6 month rolling contract. It offers both parties a degree of protection and any manager who backs himself to succeed wouldn't care how much of a pay off they get if they get sacked.

As for the normal practice, it is widely known that contracts have clauses based on promotion and relegation in general. But that's not the only reason you wouldn't give a long term contract when you don't know what level you'll be at. If you are fighting for promotion like we were, then you don't want players tied down to 3 year contracts when you don't know if they can cut it at the levels above. Also, I'd say 50% of signings for a good manager turn out to be dogs, you don't want those players staying for 3 years (2 is bad enough for some that we have). On the other side of the fence, players aren't going to sign a long deal if they want to move up quickly and put themselves in the shop window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown or Michael Jolley?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.