4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
LongEatonMariner
April 18, 2018, 8:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I didn’t think Scott Brown was all that good either and he’s got a promotion too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2018, 8:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
Brought him in, knocked off a few rough edges, then sent him on his way to star for someone else. We seem to do that a lot. Think it was Bignot that ended his loan spell early, so we can't lay that one at Slade's feet. Hurst played him out wide for some reason, though he looked to be a wide striker when he played here.

This is a club that allowed a 37 goal striker to leave for Hartlepool. Mind you, he only scored against poor sides apparently. Imagine only being able to score against the poor sides. Imagine a striker that can score a goal full stop.

That can't have helped one bit, so Hurst t blame. On the other hand, Hurst played Podge where he should be played unlike his previous employers who used him out wide.

There were quite a few on here using that to justify Hurst's decision not to offer him an attractive enough contract (as I'm sure you're alluding to). We might not have been so bereft when we lost Bogle the following January. To lose one 20+ goal striker is unfortunate, to lose two.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Mendonca1995
April 18, 2018, 9:02pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah, not sure we can use this as a stick to beat the club with really.  Apart from that opening game where he was very impressive, he showed nothing to suggest he could be a force at this level.

I think the last time I saw him play was away at Donny just before Christmas and he looked dreadful.  Granted, he was playing in one of Bignot's bizarre systems where he was the target man to Scott Vernon dropping off him!  But he still looked lightweight, lacking the pace he had shown a few months before and with a terrible touch.

Could be coaching, could be confidence, could just be a change of scenery or a manager who plays to his style.  Whatever it is, he's found something that works at Accrington under an excellent manager.  When they came here, Jackson gave our defence an absolute torrid time with his movement and pace.

Fully agree not once this season have I seen a striker run in behind or in the channels with any sort of pace 😔

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
HertsGTFC
April 18, 2018, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Scored versus Morecombe on the opening day, put in an excellent cross for Omar to score the winner at Luton, apart from that did little else.

Based upon performance at that time I'm not sure anyone at GTFC could be blamed.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
Kris2
April 19, 2018, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Don't think he did very well when he was with us tbh. Showed raw attributes with great pace when he chased some balls down, but don't remember him doing much of note as far as shots on goal. I guess he did better than the other lad from Barnsley for us.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Maringer
April 19, 2018, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Main thing I remember about him was that he was very lightweight and didn't seem to know how to use his pace effectively.

He's probably got a bit stronger since then, possibly filling out a little and must have learned a lot about when and where to attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
grimsby pete
April 19, 2018, 11:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer
Main thing I remember about him was that he was very lightweight and didn't seem to know how to use his pace effectively.

He's probably got a bit stronger since then, possibly filling out a little and must have learned a lot about when and where to attack.

That's what some young players do mature,

Not all but he did that's why I said maybe we got him a year too soon,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
m4riners
April 19, 2018, 12:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +26
Confidence must play a huge part for strikers at our level. Yes, in the Prem you will see players go a game or two without scoring but most proven goal scorers at that level will be consistently scoring. Step down a few tiers and so much seems to be about confidence, which must come from playing regularly in a team that has good morale and is winning.

When we had Amond we were on the rise and had a close knit team that had developed for a few years. All the right ingredients.

I just cannot believe that ALL the strikers we have this season are as technically poor as they look, but confidence is low and systems have been uncertain week to week.

Agree with other comments though, we have missed the pacy / fox in the box type of striker this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
oldun
April 19, 2018, 3:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from ginnywings

Wow! Look- strikers having shots and that.

That lad Bogle looks useful, whatever happened to him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kayden Jackson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.