4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
April 17, 2018, 11:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Apparently not good enough for Grimsby Town but now knocking them in for the likely champions of L2.

Discuss!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
wigworld
April 17, 2018, 11:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Who let him go? Bignot? Slade? I've lost track. These last two seasons have been like Dante's 9 circles of Hell.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 38
ginnywings
April 18, 2018, 12:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Brought him in, knocked off a few rough edges, then sent him on his way to star for someone else. We seem to do that a lot. Think it was Bignot that ended his loan spell early, so we can't lay that one at Slade's feet. Hurst played him out wide for some reason, though he looked to be a wide striker when he played here.

This is a club that allowed a 37 goal striker to leave for Hartlepool. Mind you, he only scored against poor sides apparently. Imagine only being able to score against the poor sides. Imagine a striker that can score a goal full stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
denni266
April 18, 2018, 3:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
We have a bad habbit of playing people out of position , and them wondering why they dont perform well,,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
Cloudy
April 18, 2018, 6:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Most posted on here that Jackson was light weight and crap. Rarely selected in suggested line ups by many posters.

Hurst signed him on a season long loan but he was sent back to Barnsley in Feb by Bignot.

It started so well when he scored his only goal in The return to the league v. Morecambe
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
Rick12
April 18, 2018, 7:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
This does not surprise me.I saw Kayden first home game of the season  for us  when we played Morecambe first season back in the league.

Thought he looked lively and dangerous especially with that pace of his and on that showing one of our best players on the day.

Maybe a confident thing. Eg get your mind right and everything follows

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
Abdul19
April 18, 2018, 7:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I thought he was raw and had little end product. I can't remember anyone being upset when his loan was cancelled at the start of the window.

His brilliant form this season shows how little I know and also shows how good John Coleman is!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 18, 2018, 7:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Abdul19
I thought he was raw and had little end product. I can't remember anyone being upset when his loan was cancelled at the start of the window.

His brilliant form this season shows how little I know and also shows how good John Coleman is!

Completely agree, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but despite that first game where he looked excellent he never really looked the part and particularly remember most of us were not too surprised when he was sent back to Barnsley.

Happens sometimes what did Morecambe fans make of Almonds 37 goals for town or further back Sheff Utd on how Mendonca turned out. Up the road you have had Billy Sharp, Gary Hooper and others who have “failed” at their first club only to go on to have excellent goal scoring careers.

Despite all our problems not a decision that was controversial at the time so we move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
wiggers
April 18, 2018, 7:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
It didn’t work for him at Town, it’s as simple as that. He’s gone to Accy and it’s clicked for him. We’ve had players in the past which have struggled at other clubs, come in and done well for us. He was a Hurst signing that if Hurst had stayed it would have probably been a different story for him. Not many Hurst signings turned out to rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
kamakazebear
April 18, 2018, 7:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
Quoted from Cloudy
Most posted on here that Jackson was light weight and crap. Rarely selected in suggested line ups by many posters.

Hurst signed him on a season long loan but he was sent back to Barnsley in Feb by Bignot.

It started so well when he scored his only goal in The return to the league v. Morecambe

This exactly. We've profited from other teams doing this in the past, Podge was exactly massively prolific before us. We can't keep hold of every average looking player just in case they turn out better playing for a club with a completely different set up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
Maringer
April 18, 2018, 8:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
You could argue that his loan spell with us gave him some important experience and being sent back early might have made him knuckle down and work harder (not saying he didn't work hard when with us).

Young strikers can develop a heck of a lot in a year so good for him. The way Accy are set up obviously suits him and, if he ends up playing at a higher level, you'd imagine he will be played in a similar role, something which might not have been possible when we tried to fit him into our team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Maringer
April 18, 2018, 8:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Oh, not to mention that our midfield was pretty rubbish last season as well as this. He obviously thrives in front of a good midfield. Fancy that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
diehardmariner
April 18, 2018, 8:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,429
Gold Stars: 532
Yeah, not sure we can use this as a stick to beat the club with really.  Apart from that opening game where he was very impressive, he showed nothing to suggest he could be a force at this level.

I think the last time I saw him play was away at Donny just before Christmas and he looked dreadful.  Granted, he was playing in one of Bignot's bizarre systems where he was the target man to Scott Vernon dropping off him!  But he still looked lightweight, lacking the pace he had shown a few months before and with a terrible touch.

Could be coaching, could be confidence, could just be a change of scenery or a manager who plays to his style.  Whatever it is, he's found something that works at Accrington under an excellent manager.  When they came here, Jackson gave our defence an absolute torrid time with his movement and pace.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
toontown
April 18, 2018, 8:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Agree with most on here - when he left few were surprised and nobody thought it was a terrible decision. Apart from the first game he looked lightweight and raw and soon appeared lacking in confidence. Just shows how important confidence can be I guess. Looked a different player when he returned with Accy this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
grimsby pete
April 18, 2018, 9:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
He was still maturing and gaining strength and just needed time to reach where he is now,

Sadly we did not give him the time.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
ska face
April 18, 2018, 9:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from grimsby pete
He was still maturing and gaining strength and just needed time to reach where he is now,

Sadly we did not give him the time.

He was here from July to February and was going back regardless about 10 weeks late - how much more time would you have liked him to have? I thought the lad from Everton showed more in his short spell with us that Jackson had all year.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
Bignic69
April 18, 2018, 10:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Rick12
This does not surprise me.I saw Kayden first home game of the season  for us  when we played Morecambe first season back in the league.

Thought he looked lively and dangerous especially with that pace of his and on that showing one of our best players on the day.

Maybe a confident thing. Eg get your mind right and everything follows

Same here, that day I remember thinking we had a diamond, ran the channels brilliantly, his work rate was superb and looked a constant threat. Hurst started playing him out wide which I think bled his confidence and by the time Bignot got him he was shot.
What a long way we've fallen since the jubilation of that game, perfect return to the football league really.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
forza ivano
April 18, 2018, 10:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,132
Gold Stars: 265
Just goes to show what a lottery it is .Who was the other loanee (Shaun Tuton or summat like that?) seem to remember him looking really good at Notts County and then showing nothing more. he hasn't exactly set the world alight has he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
Garth
April 18, 2018, 10:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Maybe our new Jackson will do the same for us on Saturday by getting a hattrick, UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Davec
April 18, 2018, 11:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from forza ivano
Just goes to show what a lottery it is .Who was the other loanee (Shaun Tuton or summat like that?) seem to remember him looking really good at Notts County and then showing nothing more. he hasn't exactly set the world alight has he?

Yes I remember Tuton's debut away at Notts County he looked very lively and although he missed a sitter the general feeling was that he would score goals for us, that never happened.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
horsforthmariner
April 18, 2018, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
To be fair when he was here we had Bogle. He was never going to get into the side before him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
RichMariner
April 18, 2018, 12:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
According to Wikipedia, Jackson played 20 times for us and only scored that one goal - our first back in the FL.

I must admit, 20 appearances is far more than I remember. He just seemed to be another player I had no opinion on because I never saw him often enough.

Did he ever get a good run in the side? Seemed to me like he was in and out, and played out wide.

Someone tweeted a few weeks back that Oxlade-Chamberlain has made 150+ appearances in the Prem and they still didn't know whether he's any good or not.

I kind of feel the same about Jackson (from his time with us). Obviously he's proven that he has something about him from his time at Accy.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
moosey_club
April 18, 2018, 4:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
a mixture of things for me for his lack of effectiveness here....

first game...linked well with Vernon when he was running onto the ball into spaces beyond defenders....pace looked a proper threat...
after that we seemed to use a mixture of partners for him none of whom really gelled and then he drifted in and out of the side...midfield lacking and the quality of partners led to alot of high balls in his general direction but none really turning the opposition and he was never going to win a physical battle for the first ball so we didnt play to his strengths in a nutshell for my money.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
tanga_the_indestructible
April 18, 2018, 4:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
I didn't see him play much, but I thought he was really effective in this one, in particular, and a great raking cross for our second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWvMk_3wAig
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
Rick12
April 18, 2018, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Bignic69

Same here, that day I remember thinking we had a diamond, ran the channels brilliantly, his work rate was superb and looked a constant threat. Hurst started playing him out wide which I think bled his confidence and by the time Bignot got him he was shot.
Good on him though.Hope he doesnt dip. Football is as much mental(probably more) as its physical.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Bigdog
April 18, 2018, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I remember in the Colchester Just Back thread early last season, while slaughtering our midfield and Boyce, I said I was really impressed with the movement of the Bogle and Jackson partnership up front. I liked the mix of the two and after that game was surprised that both of them didn't play as a two as the season progressed. He hardly played up front the rest of the time he was here and then he hardly played at all. Who knows what goes on behind the dressing room door, on the training ground or in manager's heads? Or maybe it was down to Jackson not blossoming in the GTFC environment? Hard to say, but seeing how he played at Colchester, it hasn't surprised me, there was always a player in there, maybe it needed a certain kind of manager to have patience and confidence in him? Or maybe he's matured rapidly a year on after Barnsley had decided he wasn't for them and Championship football?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
ginnywings
April 18, 2018, 6:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I didn't see him play much, but I thought he was really effective in this one, in particular, and a great raking cross for our second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWvMk_3wAig

Wow! Look- strikers having shots and that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
grimsby pete
April 18, 2018, 7:37pm

Exile
Quoted from ska face

He was here from July to February and was going back regardless about 10 weeks late - how much more time would you have liked him to have? I thought the lad from Everton showed more in his short spell with us that Jackson had all year.

Maybe we got him a season too soon but if we had got him for longer ie  another seasons loan we would not be in the trouble we are in now would we ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
gytone
April 18, 2018, 7:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,019
Gold Stars: 7
I thought he was decent but hardly ever got a chance in his favoured position, why do we always get players then play them out of position, also what the hell happened to that team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
mariner91
April 18, 2018, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from grimsby pete

Maybe we got him a season too soon but if we had got him for longer ie  another seasons loan we would not be in the trouble we are in now would we ?

Yeah it would be a sensible transfer policy to give every loanee who hasn't set the place on fire another year just in case they come good elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
LongEatonMariner
April 18, 2018, 8:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I didn’t think Scott Brown was all that good either and he’s got a promotion too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2018, 8:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
Brought him in, knocked off a few rough edges, then sent him on his way to star for someone else. We seem to do that a lot. Think it was Bignot that ended his loan spell early, so we can't lay that one at Slade's feet. Hurst played him out wide for some reason, though he looked to be a wide striker when he played here.

This is a club that allowed a 37 goal striker to leave for Hartlepool. Mind you, he only scored against poor sides apparently. Imagine only being able to score against the poor sides. Imagine a striker that can score a goal full stop.

That can't have helped one bit, so Hurst t blame. On the other hand, Hurst played Podge where he should be played unlike his previous employers who used him out wide.

There were quite a few on here using that to justify Hurst's decision not to offer him an attractive enough contract (as I'm sure you're alluding to). We might not have been so bereft when we lost Bogle the following January. To lose one 20+ goal striker is unfortunate, to lose two.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Mendonca1995
April 18, 2018, 9:02pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah, not sure we can use this as a stick to beat the club with really.  Apart from that opening game where he was very impressive, he showed nothing to suggest he could be a force at this level.

I think the last time I saw him play was away at Donny just before Christmas and he looked dreadful.  Granted, he was playing in one of Bignot's bizarre systems where he was the target man to Scott Vernon dropping off him!  But he still looked lightweight, lacking the pace he had shown a few months before and with a terrible touch.

Could be coaching, could be confidence, could just be a change of scenery or a manager who plays to his style.  Whatever it is, he's found something that works at Accrington under an excellent manager.  When they came here, Jackson gave our defence an absolute torrid time with his movement and pace.

Fully agree not once this season have I seen a striker run in behind or in the channels with any sort of pace 😔

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
HertsGTFC
April 18, 2018, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Scored versus Morecombe on the opening day, put in an excellent cross for Omar to score the winner at Luton, apart from that did little else.

Based upon performance at that time I'm not sure anyone at GTFC could be blamed.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
Kris2
April 19, 2018, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Don't think he did very well when he was with us tbh. Showed raw attributes with great pace when he chased some balls down, but don't remember him doing much of note as far as shots on goal. I guess he did better than the other lad from Barnsley for us.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Maringer
April 19, 2018, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Main thing I remember about him was that he was very lightweight and didn't seem to know how to use his pace effectively.

He's probably got a bit stronger since then, possibly filling out a little and must have learned a lot about when and where to attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
grimsby pete
April 19, 2018, 11:02am

Exile
Quoted from Maringer
Main thing I remember about him was that he was very lightweight and didn't seem to know how to use his pace effectively.

He's probably got a bit stronger since then, possibly filling out a little and must have learned a lot about when and where to attack.

That's what some young players do mature,

Not all but he did that's why I said maybe we got him a year too soon,

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
m4riners
April 19, 2018, 12:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +26
Confidence must play a huge part for strikers at our level. Yes, in the Prem you will see players go a game or two without scoring but most proven goal scorers at that level will be consistently scoring. Step down a few tiers and so much seems to be about confidence, which must come from playing regularly in a team that has good morale and is winning.

When we had Amond we were on the rise and had a close knit team that had developed for a few years. All the right ingredients.

I just cannot believe that ALL the strikers we have this season are as technically poor as they look, but confidence is low and systems have been uncertain week to week.

Agree with other comments though, we have missed the pacy / fox in the box type of striker this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
oldun
April 19, 2018, 3:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from ginnywings

Wow! Look- strikers having shots and that.

That lad Bogle looks useful, whatever happened to him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kayden Jackson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.