Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC as a fan-owned club?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 339 Guests

Would you like to see GTFC as a fan-owned club?
No
Yes
  View Results 111 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

GTFC as a fan-owned club?

This thread currently has 7,812 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
April 10, 2018, 9:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

The "gifting" of the shares was done as the result of a democratic decision taken by a majority most politicians can only dream of, of members of the Trust.

The decision was made very shortly after the Trust was given the shares. Membership was very low and people were very scared by the terms of a vote not to hand the shares over.

It's been covered many times but surely you will agree that threats to remove funding and sell Liam Hearn did not allow any other outcome?
It was democratic in the fact that their was a vote, everything else about it stank of ruthless bullying of a small supporters trust that was no threat to anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
1mickylyons
April 10, 2018, 9:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from headingly_mariner

The decision was made very shortly after the Trust was given the shares. Membership was very low and people were very scared by the terms of a vote not to hand the shares over.

It's been covered many times but surely you will agree that threats to remove funding and sell Liam Hearn did not allow any other outcome?
It was democratic in the fact that their was a vote, everything else about it stank of ruthless bullying of a small supporters trust that was no threat to anyone.

Not just me then after all .Thanks hm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
TheRealJohnLewis
April 10, 2018, 10:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from diehardmariner

Fenty goes, there's a short-term bounce and gates swell.  Income increases so you're sensible and reinvest that.  You adopt a policy where you maximise your profits and in football the best way of doing that is keeping a community feeling to the club so the next generation keeps coming through year after year after year and you make sure your customer, i.e you and me as the paying fan feel valued and appreciated
You develop your own players to sell them, which in turn helps continue the infrastructure development.  You also buy cheap, develop and sell for a profit.   Because you're developing players who are wanted by bigger clubs, there's a natural improvement on the field so you progress up the league, as a result more people come through the gates = more income.

Excellent post and I'd just add, that we would also get a name for giving youngsters a chance, a progressing them in their careers, which means we get better youngsters in through the door in the first place, meaning better future income.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
Limerick Mariner
April 10, 2018, 10:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Town should seriously strive to have a packed BP every single home game we are talking about 6500-7000 home supporters and personally with a bit of thought and some proper marketing it should not be that difficult? At present Town have 5k regular home supporters which drops to just under 4k when things are not great so they have a good base to start from.After we beat FGR this opportunity should have been seized it wasn`t Lincoln have shown the way.GTFC need to get their backsides in gear off the field with MT involvement and Target 5k for next August the support is out there they just need to grab it,respect it and embrace it. Employees in the ticket office were quick to accuse the fans of bullying and knocking down checkatrade attendances but what innovative thinking in the last 25 years of employment in said ticket office have we seen to boost gates? Do we have anyone at GTFC who is willing to sit down with the fans and look at ticketing for next Season before this one ends with a view to boosting gates or as normal are they preparing to lick a load of envelopes in June and beg us to renew? Wake up GTFC we could easily have a go at winning a Championship for the first time since 1980. League 2 is a poor League in my opinion and never mind surviving in it we should be looking to win it outright that`s how you get the fans onside.UTM

Lincoln have a better ground in a better location - easily accessible from the south where I expect alot of their growth in support has come from - there is big population in that Hykeham Newark Grantham Sleaford arc which may have been Nottm Forest dominated in their heyday. We have a excrement ground in a excrement location and I expect we've lost alot of our support in the wider county - if my dad wasnt going to the game I used to get a bus from Brigg that ran to every home game in the late 70s. There were others - nothing now. Gy and Clee has a falling ageing population, the county has growing population. The best we can hope for a Blundell Park is an average of 5 - 6k home fans, with max 2k away fans. We usually have one of the lowest averages for away fans at BP - the away end is crap and we have a hooligan reputation. We dont have good corporate facilities. Our playing budget will never be competitive above bottom half League 1 at best.

If Lincoln get a new ground before us they will clean up in the county - they'll become a mini-Norwich. In a nutshell - we have to get a new stadium...that is Fenty's biggest failure IMHO - he hasn't delivered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
barralad
April 10, 2018, 11:12am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I'm trying not to be flippant but what do you suggest should have happened? The Trust had to react to a situation. Mike Parker knew exactly what he was doing when he gifted the shares. From JF's point of view the man who, at that time was putting in the dosh was in a position where he could be outvoted. I'm not saying I agree with what he did but it is somewhat disingenuous for anyone to say they wouldn't have done the same in his position. What we will never know is whether he was bluffing. The membership weren't sure enough to call his bluff.  As regard membership and size of it-the period of the vote was one month which should have given people who felt strongly enough about the issue time to have joined the Trust and registered their feelings. I remember being surprised at the time that we didn't see a spike in membership.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
barralad
April 10, 2018, 11:18am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Bignic69

everything gets put to a vote and majority wins, simples.
a forum site where people can vent their opinions has absolutely no reflection on whether a group of supporters could run a football club

I'll assume you are talking about a vote amongst the Board of Management of the club? If not good luck with the admin. work that goes into organising just one vote. For all the Trust vote on the shares is continually ridiculed on here it cost the best part of 1K to organise once you factor in hard copy postal votes for members who don't use on line facilities.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
headingly_mariner
April 10, 2018, 11:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

I'm trying not to be flippant but what do you suggest should have happened? The Trust had to react to a situation. Mike Parker knew exactly what he was doing when he gifted the shares. From JF's point of view the man who, at that time was putting in the dosh was in a position where he could be outvoted. I'm not saying I agree with what he did but it is somewhat disingenuous for anyone to say they wouldn't have done the same in his position. What we will never know is whether he was bluffing. The membership weren't sure enough to call his bluff.  As regard membership and size of it-the period of the vote was one month which should have given people who felt strongly enough about the issue time to have joined the Trust and registered their feelings. I remember being surprised at the time that we didn't see a spike in membership.

I don’t for one minute blame the Trust, I also don’t blame those who voted for it.

The MP share issue has been done to death and it could’ve been avoided if public promises were kept. The situation Parker was put in was no accident.

That stuff about being outvoted was nonsense and the Trust were in no position to do that. It was a ruthless grab of power that was not in the best interests of the club, but the individual.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
Grimsby2012
April 10, 2018, 12:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from ginnywings

There are no assurances that can be made. Everything is a risk but the current board are not the only people in N.E.Lincs capable of running a small football club. No wonder the club is so parochial, if the fans are anything to judge by.

Hence why I said "if". The whole point inmy statement was that its unlikely we would ever have such assurances.......

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
TheRealJohnLewis
April 10, 2018, 2:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I find it quite amusing that the majority of the Town voted BREXIT, which could have a humongous impact on the country on the promises of getting "Are Cuntry Bac"! and "put the Great back in Britain", with very little evidence of it actually doing any good in the short to medium term future. Yet when it comes to taking over a fairly stable club (accounts wise) over the last 15 years it's too risky!
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC as a fan-owned club?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.