Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Will we stay up after today's result ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 316 Guests

Will we stay up ?
Yes
No
Not sure
  View Results 162 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Will we stay up after today's result ?

This thread currently has 8,065 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
March 17, 2018, 3:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197

Will we stay up after today's result......2 of the 3 teams below us have 3 games in hand !

Squeaky bum time.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jimbob
March 17, 2018, 4:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
barnet and chesterfield are worse than us,we will be ok.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
March 17, 2018, 4:35pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Yes.... I I firmly believe we will beat Barnet & and Chesterfield at home.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
ginnywings
March 17, 2018, 4:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
I first thought we had a chance of going down after the Morecambe defeat and i've seen nothing to change my mind so far. In fact, we are possibly worse now. We cannot keep a clean sheet and when we do create a meagre chance or two, we rarely take them. 5 points from 51 says it all. The only chance we have is if the others keep losing and we manage to take something from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
March 17, 2018, 4:49pm
Pontoonite
There are some teams on worse runs than us... Cowdenbeath and haven't won since August 12th!!!! Alhough they are winning 3-1 today!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
ex-merseymariner
March 17, 2018, 5:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
There are some teams on worse runs than us... Cowdenbeath and haven't won since August 12th!!!! Alhough they are winning 3-1 today!

Awesome post.
In trying to find a team on a worse run than us, you have to ignore English football totally, and look at Scotland,  and the team u choose promptly win.  Brilliant 😆

Any other examples please 😉

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
March 17, 2018, 5:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Jimbob
barnet and chesterfield are worse than us,we will be ok.  

Not on the form guide they aren't.

Chesterfield are slowly closing the gap, inch by inch and have 2 games in hand.

We don't look like scoring, we don't create hardly any clear cut chances and when we do we haven't got any strikers.

I suppose we will take it to the last day, but go down anyway.

Of course there will be only one man responsible - take a bow Mr. Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
ginnywings
March 17, 2018, 5:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Not on the form guide they aren't.

Chesterfield are slowly closing the gap, inch by inch and have 2 games in hand.

We don't look like scoring, we don't create hardly any clear cut chances and when we do we haven't got any strikers.

I suppose we will take it to the last day, but go down anyway.

Of course there will be only one man responsible - take a bow Mr. Fenty.

Yeah, FGR have dropped back in and it seems fate that it will be decided on the last day at their place. Could be a Burton Mk 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
March 17, 2018, 5:22pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Awesome post.
In trying to find a team on a worse run than us, you have to ignore English football totally, and look at Scotland,  and the team u choose promptly win.  Brilliant 😆

Any other examples please 😉

To be fair it was only because Jeff Stelling mentioned it on Soccer Saturday after they'd scored their 3rd goal!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
RonMariner
March 17, 2018, 5:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
In the last week Barnet have dropped 8 points, Chesterfield 5 and us 5. So really our position has not worsened. In fact, because there are now two games fewer for those teams to catch up, we are in a slightly better position.

However, I now think it is a three horse race. If either Barnet or Chesterfield get a run going we are down.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
Gaffer58
March 17, 2018, 5:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I think it's all down to the Barnet and Chesterfield games at home, win them then we'll be ok, draw it's gonna be tight but, lose either and we're down. Looking at us and those two the games between us will not be a footballing extravaganza.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Mariner Ronnie
March 17, 2018, 5:53pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Ask me when if we get in the bottom 2.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
GrimRob
March 17, 2018, 6:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
We are slightly better off at the end of today than we were at the beginning. Park the bus and play for a point at Coventry. Repeat for every game this season. Our strikers cannot score so we may as well replace them with more defensive players.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 42
Mikey_345
March 17, 2018, 6:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,380
Gold Stars: 105
No real change over the last week in terms of been closer to the relegation places but 2 less games to be caught.

We just have to match Chesterfields results, yes they have two in hand but they are also in terrible form like ourselves.

Hopeful Wilks and Jackson can have an impact when they come back into side.

Despite an awful 10 minutes I think we showed improvement from where we were. Doesn’t make a bit of difference to the outcome or the result been any more acceptable because it simply isn’t, I get that, but going forward we looked to be more of a threat than in the past, just couldn’t get the goals. Hit bar twice before they took lead.

We have to try and take positives and move on - the alternative isn’t worth thinking about.

Think Vale, Crewe and FGR still very much involved.

So answer to the question - yes I think we can and will still stay up.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
March 17, 2018, 6:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
We are slightly better off at the end of today than we were at the beginning. Park the bus and play for a point at Coventry. Repeat for every game this season. Our strikers cannot score so we may as well replace them with more defensive players.

We are slightly worse off surely? Chesterfield gained a point as did some others.

I agree on your substantive point though. We only need a few draws in reality so lets make ourselves incredibly difficult to beat.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
limerickfan
March 17, 2018, 6:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +26
Think we was always going to loose at Lincolne never had much of a team to pick from through one reason or another, need to get injuries sorted the 2 or 3 better players in the team and i think we will see better results under new manager, have hope, never give up we are town
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 42
ginnywings
March 17, 2018, 6:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic

We are slightly worse off surely? Chesterfield gained a point as did some others.

I agree on your substantive point though. We only need a few draws in reality so lets make ourselves incredibly difficult to beat.

Was going to say the same thing.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Mikey_345
March 17, 2018, 6:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,380
Gold Stars: 105

One less game left though and only one point closer. (We gained a point over them last week so sort of cancels that out)

Depends how you look at it I suppose.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
March 17, 2018, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345

One less game left though and only one point closer. (We gained a point over them last week so sort of cancels that out)

Depends how you look at it I suppose.

Rob said after today we were better off which isn't true because we got "nil points" when others got one or 3 points.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Grimbiggs
March 17, 2018, 6:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I think Barnet looked doomed, but the other place is up for grabs, Chesterfield have been decimated by injuries, but are getting one or two players back now, so could pick up the odd result......we are leaking goals in for fun, have a powder-puff attack and are struggling to pick up points. If we lose to Chesterfield I think there's a good chance we'll get relegated. Realistically I had to say not sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
Bigdog
March 17, 2018, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I don't think there's any evidence to even contemplate that we're staying up. It's pretty much got to the point when we have to match Chesterfield game by game and I can't see us doing that at all. Final nail in the coffin for me was the team selection today. I know it's only two games in but I thought MJ was really going to shake things up. It just seems more of the same with Matt and Clarke book-ending a very unadventurous and slow side. I had really hoped that he'd build a side around creative talents like Dembele and DJ and looked beyond the fragile bodies and minds of players like Clarke but it seems like our training ground is in some parallel universe compared to matchdays.

If we go down we are royally fooked. If we stay up, we're relatively fooked with JF in charge. Nothing's going to change too much compared to the last two seasons and they've been two of the worst in my living memory. Fifteen years of shite football, fifteen years of false promises, fifteen years of "competitive" budgets and fifteen years of pointing in random fields on the outskirts of Grimsby promising spades will be breaking ground in the near future.

I used to love being a Grimsby fan, loved it, had a right laugh along the years. Hate being a Grimsby fan now, fooking hate it. It really depresses me to know what we've become and I can't do anything about it because my love for the club will never die. The biggest crying shame is that there's thousands of others feeling exactly the same as me. Grimsby as a town needs something to hold on to and the only thing left is the football club and I can see it losing that too.

It has been said on this thread that the current talentless Town team make everything look like hard work, the board make running a Football League club look even harder. If we go down, it is they who gambled with our league status, they should be the ones to pay with their positions and in JF's case also in pounds, shillings and pence for devaluing the product for such a long and sustained period. None of that crapp about them vetting who is fit and proper to run the club in the future, their record means they're in no position to make that judgement at all. They can just leave a void and it will get filled and in all honesty the chances are anyone who steps up could do better.

Whether we stay up or not, barring one or two, every player should go. Whether we stay up or not, barring one or two, every official at the club should go too. The level of incompetence on and off the field is breathtaking and it needs to change. I'm a Town fan so I don't expect too much, but this is just fooking dire..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Ipswin
March 17, 2018, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GrimRob

Trouble is Rob clean sheets are as rare as goals scored. We can park the bus but we always leave the doors open!

I think its all down to one game If we lose to Chesterfield we are down. Not bothered about beating Barnet, Chesterfield will do that on the last day, we just have to beat them (hope Fenty pays for police inside BP)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
Marinerz93
March 17, 2018, 7:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Anyone who saw how easily they scored with a pot shot for the 1st, anyone who saw how easily Clarke was beaten for their 2nd and anyone who saw how useless Woolford, Berrett, Matt were, could see that we were playing with at least 8 - 7 players .

We rarely cleared the ball to our players, so we came under unnecessary pressure, we are also not composed in front of goal as some golden chances went flying over the bar.

Has Jolley got any more players he could bring in.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
Not again.
March 17, 2018, 7:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: -2
The irony of Lincoln fans singing about us going down whilst the week before when they virtually secured our survival by beating Chesterfield was sadly lost on them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
RonMariner
March 18, 2018, 1:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Not again.
The irony of Lincoln fans singing about us going down whilst the week before when they virtually secured our survival by beating Chesterfield was sadly lost on them.

If only that were true.

We are far from secure.

There is no evidence that we can win another game.

We have got three points so far this year.

This is without doubt the worst Town team I have seen in almost fifty years.

I can see Chesterfield beating us at Blundell Park. All they need to do is score one goal and we are sunk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
cannylad68
March 18, 2018, 8:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Just to mention, that statistically, few teams win away first, and then complete the double with the home fixture.
Watch this space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
darren9
March 18, 2018, 9:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
I can’t wait to carry John Fenty on my shoulders at FGR after we stay up. Gonna be dead good that.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Davec
March 18, 2018, 9:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I actually wouldn't mind John fenty being hosied aloft on people's shoulders, that way we can all throw rotten fruit and vegetables at him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
devs
March 18, 2018, 9:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Heart says we'll stay up
Head says we'll go down

After yesterday I cannot see any glimmer of hope in terms of creativity, goal threat, keeping a clean sheet with that team

I understand the logic about going for experience in a local derby but it was awful - especially second half when the next goal was so important and we didn't have any threat at all

I'd go really left field for Coventry and drop six players and change formation

OUT Davies, Clarke, Berret, Woolford, Matt, Cardwell

IN RHJ, Mills (centre back cos Suliman not available), Summers, McSheffrey, Jackson, Wilks (assuming three of those are fit)

Force us to play it on the ground and get more pace in the team; plus Harry would play in his best position

Can't be any worse??

But I fear it's all too late and the squad is so lacking that a miracle worker couldn't get us out of this

Three big matches Tuesday - of they go badly it gets ever more a three horse race for the drop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
March 18, 2018, 11:54am
Guest User
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

That has cheered me up and filled me with optimism
Reply: 29 - 42
Not again.
March 18, 2018, 6:54pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

If only that were true.

We are far from secure.

There is no evidence that we can win another game.

We have got three points so far this year.

This is without doubt the worst Town team I have seen in almost fifty years.

I can see Chesterfield beating us at Blundell Park. All they need to do is score one goal and we are sunk.

What shall we do then just "give up" ?
We are 6 points clear with only a few games left, yes they have games in hand but points on the board are better surely?
I don't understand the hysteria and panic coming out of the fans, stay cool, we will be fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
March 18, 2018, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Not again.

What shall we do then just "give up" ?
We are 6 points clear with only a few games left, yes they have games in hand but points on the board are better surely?
I don't understand the hysteria and panic coming out of the fans, stay cool, we will be fine.

We cannot score, we cannot create, we leak goals and are the worst performing team in the country, and have lost 4 out of the last 5 and haven't won in something like 18 games.

On what basis do you say it will all be ok?

Like you I hope it is ok, but I just cannot see it myself.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Not again.
March 18, 2018, 7:11pm
Coke Drinker

We cannot score, we cannot create, we leak goals and are the worst performing team in the country, and have lost 4 out of the last 5 and haven't won in something like 18 games.

On what basis do you say it will all be ok?

Like you I hope it is ok, but I just cannot see it myself.

Chesterfield and Barnet aren't going to turn into Barcelona overnight are they? Ask their supporters if they would swap positions with us they would bite your hands off.
Yes,we are dire for sure, but we are above them and will e when the last ball is kicked, then next season we get rid of the rubbish and build a team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 7:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Yeah, next season. It's always about next season at this club. One day Rodders, i'll be a millionaire,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Not again.
March 18, 2018, 7:26pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Yeah, next season. It's always about next season at this club. One day Rodders, i'll be a millionaire,

Maybe your correct, but there's those who fight until the end, then there's those who roll over and die, don't expect the players to battle and die for the cause if the fans can't be arsed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 7:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Not again.

Maybe your correct, but there's those who fight until the end, then there's those who roll over and die, don't expect the players to battle and die for the cause if the fans can't be arsed.

You really think the fans can motivate this lot into a recognisable football team? It won't make a jot of difference what we do. The fans have backed the club to the hilt and nothing ever changes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Not again.
March 18, 2018, 7:35pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You really think the fans can motivate this lot into a recognisable football team? It won't make a jot of difference what we do. The fans have backed the club to the hilt and nothing ever changes.

I think the fans have little effect, the chairman chose to wait until after the transfer window had closed before finally bowing to pressure and sacking his monkey idiot manager. Obviously, now the new guy cannot spend money ,let's hope he has the guile to cobble together a few decent results, I personally like the guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 7:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Now you have confused me by contradicting your own post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
Not again.
March 18, 2018, 7:45pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Now you have confused me by contradicting your own post.

What I'm trying to say is whilst the fans care about what happens and turn out in great numbers , everything we do is undermined by the idiots running the club, but giving up on the players won't help , despite this the chairman seems to be doing his best to get us relegated, all we can do is get behind the team, it helps massively ,especially at home, despite the gloom I'm not at all worried about going down we will not get relegated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Fair enough. I always support the team, no matter what, and will do until the end of the season. Next season....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
RoboCod
March 18, 2018, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
There's still a few rolls of the dice left, I can see just why the doom has spread amongst us but we have a few more team permutations left yet, not least when we get Jackson, Wilks and Summerfield back, then somehow get Dembele to play like the free spirit we saw earlier in the season.

A point at Coventry will be tough but doable with those players back, then get that first win and we'll be buzzing. There's also the two bottom teams who have aided us so far and continue to do so, so much depends on Chesterfields 2 games in hand.
I'm far from throwing the towel in but there needs to be a huge change in the team setup, yesterdays team is relegation fodder I've no doubt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
March 18, 2018, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Fair enough. I always support the team, no matter what, and will do until the end of the season. Next season....

...is another matter  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 7:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic

...is another matter  

Quite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Will we stay up after today's result ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.