Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The squad?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 262 Guests

The squad?

This thread currently has 8,114 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
kingster72
March 6, 2018, 1:06pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
With a new boss that we can now get behind and excited about, how does he deal with a squad ruined by Russell Slade, he has no transfer window to bring in new recruits, so how can Michael Jolley get the best out of the large squad of 32?
Slade let Sam Jones and Jamey Osbourne go in the window, two players who had quality and will be missed, he should have got rid of others before these!

For me it is time to be ruthless and get some of those out of contract in the summer and a couple beyond that, get them out of the club now to give a smaller, tight knit squad more togetherness (and quality), I would do the following:

Goalkeepers           
Jake Kean*     Cancel loan
Ben Killip     
James McKeown     

Defenders                 
Danny Collins     
Nathan Clarke      Pay up & release now!
Ben Davies     
Paul Dixon     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Reece Hall-Johnson†     
Jack Keeble     
Zak Mills          
Karleigh Osborne     
Easah Suliman*     

Midfielders                 
James Berrett     Pay up & release now!
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton     
Sean McAllister  Possible pay up & release, unless he can show something to the new boss that he could offer something in the remaining games?
Mitch Rose     
Tom Sawyer     
Luke Summerfield     

Wingers
Siriki Dembele     
Diallang Jaiyesimi*     
Sam Kelly     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Martyn Woolford     Pay up & release now!
Max Wright†     On loan, bring back if able?

Forwards                 
Harry Cardwell     
Jonathan Hooper  Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)     
Simeon Jackson*     
Jamille Matt*     
Ahkeem Rose     
Charles Vernam*     
Scott Vernon     Pay up & release now!
Mallik Wilks*     

Logged Offline
Private Message
Tommy
March 6, 2018, 1:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
This sort of thing might as well be left until the end of the season now IMO.

Doesn't help when some of those you suggest paying off immediately might be guys we're relying on to perform and keep us up. And we also don't know how everyone will react to different coaching, managing and playing styles that the new manager might employ.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 1:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
That list is well off...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
forza ivano
March 6, 2018, 1:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
keeping to the squad idea, jolley seems to emphasise ability and pace, and will certainly require work ethic. therefore i've used the same list to give y for yes, x for no & ? for possibly. feel free to amend. ps i 've given berrett y for ability as he played 100+ games in ahigher league so has to have something about him

ABILITY                   PACE                  WORK ETHIC

Danny Collins                        Y                            N                            Y
Nathan Clarke                       Y                            N                             ?
Ben Davies                            Y                            ?                              Y
Paul Dixon                             ?                             N                             N
Reece Hall-Johnson†            ?                             Y                             Y    
Zak Mills                                 ?                            Y                              Y
Karleigh Osborne                   ?                            N                              ?
Easah Suliman*                     Y                            Y                              ?

Midfielders                  
James Berrett                        Y                            N                            Y
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton                           ?                           Y                                Y
Sean McAllister                      Y                           N                               ?
Mitch Rose                             N                           N                               Y  
Luke Summerfield                  Y                            N                               Y

Wingers
Siriki Dembele                        Y                            Y                               Y
Diallang Jaiyesimi*                   Y                          Y                               Y
Sam Kelly                                N                            N                             N
Martyn Woolford                      Y                            N                              ?
Max Wright†                           ?                              Y                              Y

Forwards                  
Harry Cardwell                         N                           N                                Y
Jonathan Hooper                     Y                            ?                                N    
Simeon Jackson*                      Y                          Y                                  ?
Jamille Matt*                            ?                             N                               Y
Charles Vernam*                      Y                            Y                               Y
Scott Vernon                            Y                            N                               Y
Mallik Wilks*                             Y                            Y                              Y
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
Heisenberg
March 6, 2018, 1:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,046
Gold Stars: 93
No point in paying up, we might as well keep them until the summer at least.  I agree they're not much cop, on this seasons showings, but if Clarke were to leave we'd be very, very low on defensive options.  Having said that, for me, what have we got to lose by putting Suliman in the team right now?  Very little, he deserves a chance to show what he's got.

Maybe Berrett would be useful in a midfield 3?  He's not completely useless, just limited.  If he's given a specific, pragmatic, task to perform (man-marking?), he could probably do it.

Hooper must have something to offer?  That penalty miss was abysmal, but is he any worse than the others?  Possibly, but he's a big lump who must have more to give.  Maybe I'm kidding myself there.....

I agree about Jake Kean though, he's surplus and showed no more than Killip, but maybe we're paying zero towards his wage?  Who knows, but I'm sure he'll leave soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 1:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from kingster72
With a new boss that we can now get behind and excited about, how does he deal with a squad ruined by Russell Slade, he has no transfer window to bring in new recruits, so how can Michael Jolley get the best out of the large squad of 32?
Slade let Sam Jones and Jamey Osbourne go in the window, two players who had quality and will be missed, he should have got rid of others before these!

For me it is time to be ruthless and get some of those out of contract in the summer and a couple beyond that, get them out of the club now to give a smaller, tight knit squad more togetherness (and quality), I would do the following:

Goalkeepers           
Jake Kean*     Cancel loan
Ben Killip     
James McKeown     

Defenders                 
Danny Collins     
Nathan Clarke      Pay up & release now!
Ben Davies     
Paul Dixon     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Reece Hall-Johnson†     
Jack Keeble     
Zak Mills          
Karleigh Osborne     
Easah Suliman*     

Midfielders                 
James Berrett     Pay up & release now!
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton     
Sean McAllister  Possible pay up & release, unless he can show something to the new boss that he could offer something in the remaining games?
Mitch Rose     
Tom Sawyer     
Luke Summerfield     

Wingers
Siriki Dembele     
Diallang Jaiyesimi*     
Sam Kelly     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Martyn Woolford     Pay up & release now!
Max Wright†     On loan, bring back if able?

Forwards                 
Harry Cardwell     
Jonathan Hooper  Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)     
Simeon Jackson*     
Jamille Matt*     
Ahkeem Rose     
Charles Vernam*     
Scott Vernon     Pay up & release now!
Mallik Wilks*     

I would only look at keeping:

McKeown
Mills
Hall-Johnson
Maybe Clifton, i think this manager could be a big boost for him
Dembele

Loan players that looked to improve us and would be interested in:
Wilks
Vernam
Jackson maybe

Thats it, scary isnt it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
Kris2
March 6, 2018, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
This is just who we have to work with for the rest of the season. The new manager will have to try to convince them that working their asses off to keep us up is worth their time and effort. Won't be easy with most out of contract in the summer  I feel like some are already on their summer holiday.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
livosnose
March 6, 2018, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,167
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Heisenberg
No point in paying up, we might as well keep them until the summer at least.  I agree they're not much cop, on this seasons showings, but if Clarke were to leave we'd be very, very low on defensive options.  Having said that, for me, what have we got to lose by putting Suliman in the team right now?  Very little, he deserves a chance to show what he's got.

Maybe Berrett would be useful in a midfield 3?  He's not completely useless, just limited.  If he's given a specific, pragmatic, task to perform (man-marking?), he could probably do it.

Hooper must have something to offer?  That penalty miss was abysmal, but is he any worse than the others?  Possibly, but he's a big lump who must have more to give.  Maybe I'm kidding myself there.....

I agree about Jake Kean though, he's surplus and showed no more than Killip, but maybe we're paying zero towards his wage?  Who knows, but I'm sure he'll leave soon.

I have heard from a very unreliable source he is on 3k a week ( Kean)

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
Posh Harry
March 6, 2018, 1:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from forza ivano
keeping to the squad idea, jolley seems to emphasise ability and pace, and will certainly require work ethic. therefore i've used the same list to give y for yes, x for no & ? for possibly. feel free to amend. ps i 've given berrett y for ability as he played 100+ games in ahigher league so has to have something about him

ABILITY                   PACE                  WORK ETHIC

Danny Collins                        Y                            N                            Y
Nathan Clarke                       Y                            N                             ?
Ben Davies                            Y                            ?                              Y
Paul Dixon                             ?                             N                             N
Reece Hall-Johnson†            ?                             Y                             Y    
Zak Mills                                 ?                            Y                              Y
Karleigh Osborne                   ?                            N                              ?
Easah Suliman*                     Y                            Y                              ?

Midfielders                  
James Berrett                        Y                            N                            Y
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton                           ?                           Y                                Y
Sean McAllister                      Y                           N                               ?
Mitch Rose                             N                           N                               Y  
Luke Summerfield                  Y                            N                               Y

Wingers
Siriki Dembele                        Y                            Y                               Y
Diallang Jaiyesimi*                   Y                          Y                               Y
Sam Kelly                                N                            N                             N
Martyn Woolford                      Y                            N                              ?
Max Wright†                           ?                              Y                              Y

Forwards                  
Harry Cardwell                         N                           N                                Y
Jonathan Hooper                     Y                            ?                                N    
Simeon Jackson*                      Y                          Y                                  ?
Jamille Matt*                            ?                             N                               Y
Charles Vernam*                      Y                            Y                               Y
Scott Vernon                            Y                            N                               Y
Mallik Wilks*                             Y                            Y                              Y

Not sure I agree with all of these Forza.

Suliman get 2 Y’s and no one has seen him play.

Berrett gets a Y for work ethic. I have not seen as many games as others but from what I have seen no way does he put enough effort in.

Summerfield a Y for ability. He might be either the best or one of the best players this season but imho that is more due to how poor others are around him. A double Y for work ethic, but not a Y in the ability column for me.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 6, 2018, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from livosnose

Bentley?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
Heisenberg
March 6, 2018, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,046
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from livosnose

For throwing the ball into his own net?!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Maringer
March 6, 2018, 2:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Way, way too many 'Y's in the pace column there, though we don't really have many players with anything in the way of pace.

From the current bunch, I reckon Hall-Johnson (or possibly Wilks) will be the quickest of the bunch. Kelly is quicker than our other wingers for me, but so powder-puff weak that he's still useless. Dembele and Jaiyesimi aren't slow, but they certainly aren't quick and they won't run away from many defenders. We just need to get them further up the field when they receive the ball so they can attack players with their skill in more dangerous positions.

Central midfield, I think Summerfield is probably quicker than Clifton, though there's not much in it.

I think Matt and Hooper are actually probably relatively quick once they get going - problem with Matt is that it takes him ages to get up a head of steam and Hooper doesn't seem willing to back himself to sprint. Either way, neither is a threat to opposition defence with pace.

If we can survive this season, I'd hope Jolley will see what we're lacking and then get one or two very athletic players in. I don't mind it too much if they aren't capable of total football themselves, just as long as they can help win the ball and make space for those who can play a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
forza ivano
March 6, 2018, 3:16pm

Exile
Quoted from Posh Harry

Not sure I agree with all of these Forza.

Suliman get 2 Y’s and no one has seen him play.

Berrett gets a Y for work ethic. I have not seen as many games as others but from what I have seen no way does he put enough effort in.

Summerfield a Y for ability. He might be either the best or one of the best players this season but imho that is more due to how poor others are around him. A double Y for work ethic, but not a Y in the ability column for me.

UTFM

obviously there's a certain amount of guesswork, but given suliman for example capatained england under 19s i think its a pretty safe bet he has a bit more ability than mills or hall-johnson!. as i said amendments are welcomed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
MuddyWaters
March 6, 2018, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,241
Gold Stars: 235
If Carlsberg did pointless original posts...

Unless you've been on Planet Zog, we have a new manager who will make his mind up who to pick out of the squad he's been left with.

Might I also suggest that, rather than berate every player who doesn't come up to your expectation that you get behind them to try and reach the points target that we need to survive. I'm sure there will be a squad cull in the summer, can't you wait till then...please!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
grimsby pete
March 6, 2018, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
Why would we release and pay up now to players that have under performed and or could not be arsed,

I would give them double training sessions every day and make them work for their money until we can get rid.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Garth
March 6, 2018, 3:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I would only look at keeping:

McKeown
Mills
Hall-Johnson
Maybe Clifton, i think this manager could be a big boost for him
Dembele

Loan players that looked to improve us and would be interested in:
Wilks
Vernam
Jackson maybe

Thats it, scary isnt it

Not much for the last few matches
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
forza ivano
March 6, 2018, 3:50pm

Exile
Quoted from Garth

that's was sort of my point in doing an alternative rating - just counted up and there are 12 players that ticked 2 or 3 of my boxes (if you'll pardon the expression! )  so maybe he has got  alimited amount to work with.
i'd also add that i think we may see 1 or 2 'left field' picks / formations. we should remember that he's repeatedly said that his experience has made him look at situations from a different perspective.
for example i think most would agree that woolford, berrett and hooper have got some ability, it just needs a miracle worker to tease it out of them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
MuddyWaters
March 6, 2018, 3:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Especially now Wilks is back at Leeds.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
HertsGTFC
March 6, 2018, 4:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
To be honest I’d not worry about it till the end of season, the absolute priority is to stay up why waste energy and time on anything else?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
devs
March 6, 2018, 4:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,987
Gold Stars: 30
Jarmo is God is not too far where I am with this squad

Macca
Mills
RHJ
Dembele
DJ
Clifton

Not sure about Davies, Summerfield, McAllister, Cardwell

Of the loanees Suliman (might not see him), Vernam (poss yes), Jackson and Wilks (not fussed)

New era
New manager
Get the broom out in the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
devs
March 6, 2018, 4:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Related to the squad...sort of... possibly been dealt with before...

Last 10 years in L2 these are relegation points totals for team finishing second bottom

Highest - 51
Lowest - 34
Average - 43.6 (44!)

So based on 'history average' we need another 8 points

Not sure if that makes me feel happier?

I think it does... but does we have the squad (the goals to enable us to do this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Limerick Mariner
March 6, 2018, 4:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
When you look at the squad in the cold light of day, after the mini-euphoria of getting rid of Slade and appointment of someone who apparently has a good brain (whether its a good football brain remains to be seen), it is fecking scary. Undoubtedly the shitest ever GTFC squad. And letting Osborne, Jones and Clements go is the biggest acts of squad vandalism I can think of, given the total lack of quality in the rest of the squad (although letting Amond, Toto and Arnold go without paying what was needed to keep them perhaps runs it close).

I would play

Jimmy Mck

Davies
Osbourne
Collins
Mills

Clifton
Summerfield
Rose
Dembele

DJ / Vernam
Matt

At least Matt works hard, I wouldn't have Hooper anywhere near and Cardwell is just a poor footballer. Put the best footballers in the team with a scattering of nuisance players (Summerfield / Rose / Matt) to work hard and disrupt. Then get them to play to a shape and system that suits their limited abilities closets, bound to be a few square pegs with a squad this thin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 4:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Probably an unpopular comment, but i'm not so sure DJ is what people believe he is?

Had a good couple of games when he first joined, but never managed to make the position his own when hes got the chance, and scored 1? in that trophy, and 0 assists?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 4:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Probably an unpopular comment, but i'm not so sure DJ is what people believe he is?

Had a good couple of games when he first joined, but never managed to make the position his own when hes got the chance, and scored 1? in that trophy, and 0 assists?

Same with Osbourne at the back, he's no good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Maringer
March 6, 2018, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Osborne looks like a player who has barely played for a couple of years. Might be quite capable when up to speed if he could get a run of games (he's certainly more athletic than Collins and Clarke), but he's been too error-prone in his few appearances for us this season.

Jaiyesimi is a young player who has barely played any first team football before this season and is basically taking his first steps in the professional game. Shown some good things at times, but he's been playing in front of a slow full-back who has been in poor form, behind forwards who are doing little up front and alongside a very unimpressive midfield. I think he's got something, but doesn't have the experience or teammates to show it yet! I think he'll do OK in the game, though whether he'll prove good enough for the Championship or higher remains to be seen.

I'd say much the same about Dembele though he's been awful after a good start to the season, possibly down in part to a fitness problem as well as the other factors i.e. poor forwards and midfield. However, I do wonder if he's been found out to some degree? If you're defending against him, don't lunge into the challenge, stand off him and let him try to get past you and you can invariably get back at him to muscle him off the ball even if he does beat you as he's not got the pace to get away from players. Half of the problem is that he's been receiving the ball near the half-way line too much - he needs to be get the ball facing the defenders near the opposition box so he has the chance to do something with it after beating the first man (as he often does). Another one who will no doubt improve with experience/fitness but I wouldn't have him in the team at present, given that he's done nothing but lose the ball for months.

Matt has a decent record at other clubs and has been a handful in some games but in general it hasn't worked out very well for him, possibly due to the injury to his child we heard about before Christmas?

Hooper has some ability, but lacks grit. Played off a decent target man, he'd probably score a few goals but he can't do that job himself so you can see why he's not played much.

Ultimately, lots of players mentioned there but not too much indication that they are going to put in the performances to win the points we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
jonnyboy82
March 6, 2018, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Jolley out.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
devs
March 6, 2018, 5:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
My only saving grace is that this group got us to within 1 or 2pts of the play offs - sorry to sound like Fenty but it is a fact
That being the case can a fresh pair of eyes, fresh voice get them back to at least some sort of competitive level where we are far more ruthless at both ends?

Regarding squad - and a few have mentioned this before - the likes of Summerfield and Dembele have been way over-praised but that's only because we have so little to cling on to with this squad

In the whole scheme of things Summerfield is hard working but bang average and Dembele has been poor for weeks (still learning his trade).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
MuddyWaters
March 6, 2018, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from devs
My only saving grace is that this group got us to within 1 or 2pts of the play offs - sorry to sound like Fenty but it is a fact
That being the case can a fresh pair of eyes, fresh voice get them back to at least some sort of competitive level where we are far more ruthless at both ends?

Regarding squad - and a few have mentioned this before - the likes of Summerfield and Dembele have been way over-praised but that's only because we have so little to cling on to with this squad

In the whole scheme of things Summerfield is hard working but bang average and Dembele has been poor for weeks (still learning his trade).

In the whole scheme of things, most players look bang average when they're short of confidence. Pogba has looked bang average for weeks - it's difficult to be confident when your supporters are on your back.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2018, 7:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Jolley out.

Yeah. The muppet hasn't won a single game yet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Bigdog
March 6, 2018, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Is it Saturday yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
Tommy
March 6, 2018, 7:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Not sure "assist" stats are the best stat to use this season (I'd argue in general anyway but that's another matter) with strikers who aren't scoring.

You could lay on chance after chance but if you don't have someone on the end of them to finish them off then you're struggling to get assists.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
Limerick Mariner
March 6, 2018, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Same with Osbourne at the back, he's no good.

Maybe swap DJ for Ford and Osborne for Handyside then, that should help a bit...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
toontown
March 6, 2018, 10:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from devs

they had jones knocking in the odd goal then - he isnt available now the board have sold him.
they had an on form dembele who was utterly uknown to the opposition early season - hes now badly out of form (understandable at this stage of his career) and oppo are aware of his abilities, how to counter etc i guess
i think they were literally our only creative threat and thats gone now.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 6, 2018, 11:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Why cant people get it into their heads that it isn't the second bottom's number of points we need, but the third

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 7, 2018, 8:44am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

Not sure "assist" stats are the best stat to use this season (I'd argue in general anyway but that's another matter) with strikers who aren't scoring.

You could lay on chance after chance but if you don't have someone on the end of them to finish them off then you're struggling to get assists.

I take that as a valid point tbf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
Les Brechin
March 7, 2018, 10:24am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from devs

We were only goal difference off the play-offs after we won our last game v Forest Green.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42205492

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 7, 2018, 11:42am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

We were only goal difference off the play-offs after we won our last game v Forest Green.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42205492

That was a horrible game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
Mariner93er
March 7, 2018, 12:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
intercourse me that shows how much we've declined. We were on a record of 9 wins 5 draws 7 losses at that point. Now I believe we're on 9 wins 9 draws 18 losses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
devs
March 7, 2018, 3:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Good win Saturday and Chesterfield and Barnet lose we are 9pts clear - suddenly everything will be a lot calmer

If it goes badly....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Les Brechin
March 7, 2018, 3:51pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

That was a horrible game.

I'll take that game again on Saturday!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
Pouton4ever
March 7, 2018, 6:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -244
There's a strong rumour on twitter that Jernade Meade is currently training with the squad. He's a left back that played under Jolley in Sweden
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
Maringer
March 7, 2018, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Interesting. Starting at Arsenal and then moving on to Swansea, you'd think he might have some decent pedigree, but the fact that he then dropped down 8 steps of the pyramid to get a game somewhere before ending up in the Swedish top division a year or so later is pretty unusual.

I'd imagine he's a good bit pacier than Dixon or Davies if Premiership clubs kept him on for a while.

Perhaps just an example of a young player whose career was ruined by the Premier League academies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Pouton4ever
March 7, 2018, 6:40pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Interesting. Starting at Arsenal and then moving on to Swansea, you'd think he might have some decent pedigree, but the fact that he then dropped down 8 steps of the pyramid to get a game somewhere before ending up in the Swedish top division a year or so later is pretty unusual.

I'd imagine he's a good bit pacier than Dixon or Davies if Premiership clubs kept him on for a while.

Perhaps just an example of a young player whose career was ruined by the Premier League academies.

Must say I wondered exactly this when I read his Bio. There must be a lot of talented young players who's opportunities go begging from academies when the lifestyle and offer of the golden carrot are removed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
H19P1
March 7, 2018, 7:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Probably just keeping fit ready for pre season training in Sweden as he knows MJ well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Pouton4ever
March 7, 2018, 7:12pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from H19P1
Probably just keeping fit ready for pre season training in Sweden as he knows MJ well?

Probably - but we do need a left back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
H19P1
March 7, 2018, 7:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from Pouton4ever

Probably - but we do need a left back!

Absolutely you can say that again 😊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
Meza
March 7, 2018, 7:16pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
What's everyone's thoughts on the GET article about MJ saying every player starts a fresh.  Maybe its a motivational thing (and he may know who to release \ keep) but i'm sure a few wont be happy if Berrett gets another deal lol.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
newarkmariner
March 7, 2018, 7:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
At a time when everyone is calling for unity, a time when we need everyone singing off the same hymn sheet and encouraging each other, at a time when we are facing the most important 10 games for many a year, what do we get on the fishy? sharp objects pulling the very same people  we need to encourage to pieces, if you was a player and sat reading the crap spouted on here would you give a damn, because I bloody wouldn't ,how about if you cant say something positive for the next few months say nothing, Christ this does my bloody nut in. Call yourself fans ,don't make me laugh, know bring on the red crosses coz I don't give a f@&k,all I care about is the team and survival UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
toontown
March 7, 2018, 7:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Meza I interpreted it more as being an opportunity for players previously overlooked (excluded?) such as Mcallister
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
forza ivano
March 7, 2018, 7:36pm

Exile
Quoted from H19P1

So jolley on his first full day just says to one of his old players. Yeah ! Come straight over and train with us. I haven't got too much on at the moment.    Jolleys a cute cookie. he does things for a reason n he will know the weakest point we have is left back. I'd thought it'd be fox but I suspect you're going to see a younger more athletic and enterprising left back within the next couple of weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
forza ivano
March 7, 2018, 8:39pm

Exile
PS just checked and Eskilstuna play their first league match in 3 weeks time and are I. The middle of per season friendlies so that makes it most unlikely that Meade is here just to keep fit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
Maringer
March 7, 2018, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Perhaps he's just got a bit bored of blondes and fancies a change?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Meza
March 7, 2018, 9:09pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from toontown
Meza I interpreted it more as being an opportunity for players previously overlooked (excluded?) such as Mcallister

Yeah good shout.  Hopefully we'll see something different on Saturday.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
mariner91
March 7, 2018, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Maringer
Perhaps he's just got a bit bored of blondes and fancies a change?

Don't think I'd ever get bored of Swedish women.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
Maringer
March 7, 2018, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
To be fair, during my one visit to Sweden, a weekend in Gothenburg some years back, I noticed that there were plenty of attractive brunettes as well as attractive blondes. The Swedes are equal-opportunity attractive!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
bluebottle
March 8, 2018, 11:47am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +459
The Swedish women do seem to be an attractive lot. Not a lot of good to me though, what with being coyote ugly.  😟
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The squad?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.