Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The squad?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 147 Guests

The squad?

This thread currently has 8,073 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
kingster72
March 6, 2018, 1:06pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
With a new boss that we can now get behind and excited about, how does he deal with a squad ruined by Russell Slade, he has no transfer window to bring in new recruits, so how can Michael Jolley get the best out of the large squad of 32?
Slade let Sam Jones and Jamey Osbourne go in the window, two players who had quality and will be missed, he should have got rid of others before these!

For me it is time to be ruthless and get some of those out of contract in the summer and a couple beyond that, get them out of the club now to give a smaller, tight knit squad more togetherness (and quality), I would do the following:

Goalkeepers           
Jake Kean*     Cancel loan
Ben Killip     
James McKeown     

Defenders                 
Danny Collins     
Nathan Clarke      Pay up & release now!
Ben Davies     
Paul Dixon     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Reece Hall-Johnson†     
Jack Keeble     
Zak Mills          
Karleigh Osborne     
Easah Suliman*     

Midfielders                 
James Berrett     Pay up & release now!
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton     
Sean McAllister  Possible pay up & release, unless he can show something to the new boss that he could offer something in the remaining games?
Mitch Rose     
Tom Sawyer     
Luke Summerfield     

Wingers
Siriki Dembele     
Diallang Jaiyesimi*     
Sam Kelly     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Martyn Woolford     Pay up & release now!
Max Wright†     On loan, bring back if able?

Forwards                 
Harry Cardwell     
Jonathan Hooper  Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)     
Simeon Jackson*     
Jamille Matt*     
Ahkeem Rose     
Charles Vernam*     
Scott Vernon     Pay up & release now!
Mallik Wilks*     

Logged Offline
Private Message
Tommy
March 6, 2018, 1:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
This sort of thing might as well be left until the end of the season now IMO.

Doesn't help when some of those you suggest paying off immediately might be guys we're relying on to perform and keep us up. And we also don't know how everyone will react to different coaching, managing and playing styles that the new manager might employ.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 1:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
That list is well off...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
forza ivano
March 6, 2018, 1:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
keeping to the squad idea, jolley seems to emphasise ability and pace, and will certainly require work ethic. therefore i've used the same list to give y for yes, x for no & ? for possibly. feel free to amend. ps i 've given berrett y for ability as he played 100+ games in ahigher league so has to have something about him

ABILITY                   PACE                  WORK ETHIC

Danny Collins                        Y                            N                            Y
Nathan Clarke                       Y                            N                             ?
Ben Davies                            Y                            ?                              Y
Paul Dixon                             ?                             N                             N
Reece Hall-Johnson†            ?                             Y                             Y    
Zak Mills                                 ?                            Y                              Y
Karleigh Osborne                   ?                            N                              ?
Easah Suliman*                     Y                            Y                              ?

Midfielders                  
James Berrett                        Y                            N                            Y
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton                           ?                           Y                                Y
Sean McAllister                      Y                           N                               ?
Mitch Rose                             N                           N                               Y  
Luke Summerfield                  Y                            N                               Y

Wingers
Siriki Dembele                        Y                            Y                               Y
Diallang Jaiyesimi*                   Y                          Y                               Y
Sam Kelly                                N                            N                             N
Martyn Woolford                      Y                            N                              ?
Max Wright†                           ?                              Y                              Y

Forwards                  
Harry Cardwell                         N                           N                                Y
Jonathan Hooper                     Y                            ?                                N    
Simeon Jackson*                      Y                          Y                                  ?
Jamille Matt*                            ?                             N                               Y
Charles Vernam*                      Y                            Y                               Y
Scott Vernon                            Y                            N                               Y
Mallik Wilks*                             Y                            Y                              Y
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
Heisenberg
March 6, 2018, 1:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,809
Gold Stars: 89
No point in paying up, we might as well keep them until the summer at least.  I agree they're not much cop, on this seasons showings, but if Clarke were to leave we'd be very, very low on defensive options.  Having said that, for me, what have we got to lose by putting Suliman in the team right now?  Very little, he deserves a chance to show what he's got.

Maybe Berrett would be useful in a midfield 3?  He's not completely useless, just limited.  If he's given a specific, pragmatic, task to perform (man-marking?), he could probably do it.

Hooper must have something to offer?  That penalty miss was abysmal, but is he any worse than the others?  Possibly, but he's a big lump who must have more to give.  Maybe I'm kidding myself there.....

I agree about Jake Kean though, he's surplus and showed no more than Killip, but maybe we're paying zero towards his wage?  Who knows, but I'm sure he'll leave soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 1:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from kingster72
With a new boss that we can now get behind and excited about, how does he deal with a squad ruined by Russell Slade, he has no transfer window to bring in new recruits, so how can Michael Jolley get the best out of the large squad of 32?
Slade let Sam Jones and Jamey Osbourne go in the window, two players who had quality and will be missed, he should have got rid of others before these!

For me it is time to be ruthless and get some of those out of contract in the summer and a couple beyond that, get them out of the club now to give a smaller, tight knit squad more togetherness (and quality), I would do the following:

Goalkeepers           
Jake Kean*     Cancel loan
Ben Killip     
James McKeown     

Defenders                 
Danny Collins     
Nathan Clarke      Pay up & release now!
Ben Davies     
Paul Dixon     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Reece Hall-Johnson†     
Jack Keeble     
Zak Mills          
Karleigh Osborne     
Easah Suliman*     

Midfielders                 
James Berrett     Pay up & release now!
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton     
Sean McAllister  Possible pay up & release, unless he can show something to the new boss that he could offer something in the remaining games?
Mitch Rose     
Tom Sawyer     
Luke Summerfield     

Wingers
Siriki Dembele     
Diallang Jaiyesimi*     
Sam Kelly     Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)
Martyn Woolford     Pay up & release now!
Max Wright†     On loan, bring back if able?

Forwards                 
Harry Cardwell     
Jonathan Hooper  Pay up & release now! (despite contract until June 2019)     
Simeon Jackson*     
Jamille Matt*     
Ahkeem Rose     
Charles Vernam*     
Scott Vernon     Pay up & release now!
Mallik Wilks*     

I would only look at keeping:

McKeown
Mills
Hall-Johnson
Maybe Clifton, i think this manager could be a big boost for him
Dembele

Loan players that looked to improve us and would be interested in:
Wilks
Vernam
Jackson maybe

Thats it, scary isnt it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
Kris2
March 6, 2018, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
This is just who we have to work with for the rest of the season. The new manager will have to try to convince them that working their asses off to keep us up is worth their time and effort. Won't be easy with most out of contract in the summer  I feel like some are already on their summer holiday.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
livosnose
March 6, 2018, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Heisenberg
No point in paying up, we might as well keep them until the summer at least.  I agree they're not much cop, on this seasons showings, but if Clarke were to leave we'd be very, very low on defensive options.  Having said that, for me, what have we got to lose by putting Suliman in the team right now?  Very little, he deserves a chance to show what he's got.

Maybe Berrett would be useful in a midfield 3?  He's not completely useless, just limited.  If he's given a specific, pragmatic, task to perform (man-marking?), he could probably do it.

Hooper must have something to offer?  That penalty miss was abysmal, but is he any worse than the others?  Possibly, but he's a big lump who must have more to give.  Maybe I'm kidding myself there.....

I agree about Jake Kean though, he's surplus and showed no more than Killip, but maybe we're paying zero towards his wage?  Who knows, but I'm sure he'll leave soon.

I have heard from a very unreliable source he is on 3k a week ( Kean)

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
Posh Harry
March 6, 2018, 1:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
keeping to the squad idea, jolley seems to emphasise ability and pace, and will certainly require work ethic. therefore i've used the same list to give y for yes, x for no & ? for possibly. feel free to amend. ps i 've given berrett y for ability as he played 100+ games in ahigher league so has to have something about him

ABILITY                   PACE                  WORK ETHIC

Danny Collins                        Y                            N                            Y
Nathan Clarke                       Y                            N                             ?
Ben Davies                            Y                            ?                              Y
Paul Dixon                             ?                             N                             N
Reece Hall-Johnson†            ?                             Y                             Y    
Zak Mills                                 ?                            Y                              Y
Karleigh Osborne                   ?                            N                              ?
Easah Suliman*                     Y                            Y                              ?

Midfielders                  
James Berrett                        Y                            N                            Y
Chris Clements†     Out on loan and probably unable to bring back?
Harry Clifton                           ?                           Y                                Y
Sean McAllister                      Y                           N                               ?
Mitch Rose                             N                           N                               Y  
Luke Summerfield                  Y                            N                               Y

Wingers
Siriki Dembele                        Y                            Y                               Y
Diallang Jaiyesimi*                   Y                          Y                               Y
Sam Kelly                                N                            N                             N
Martyn Woolford                      Y                            N                              ?
Max Wright†                           ?                              Y                              Y

Forwards                  
Harry Cardwell                         N                           N                                Y
Jonathan Hooper                     Y                            ?                                N    
Simeon Jackson*                      Y                          Y                                  ?
Jamille Matt*                            ?                             N                               Y
Charles Vernam*                      Y                            Y                               Y
Scott Vernon                            Y                            N                               Y
Mallik Wilks*                             Y                            Y                              Y

Not sure I agree with all of these Forza.

Suliman get 2 Y’s and no one has seen him play.

Berrett gets a Y for work ethic. I have not seen as many games as others but from what I have seen no way does he put enough effort in.

Summerfield a Y for ability. He might be either the best or one of the best players this season but imho that is more due to how poor others are around him. A double Y for work ethic, but not a Y in the ability column for me.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 6, 2018, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from livosnose

I have heard from a very unreliable source he is on 3k a week ( Kean)

Bentley?

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The squad?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.