Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The squad?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 268 Guests

The squad?

This thread currently has 8,107 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
devs
March 6, 2018, 4:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Related to the squad...sort of... possibly been dealt with before...

Last 10 years in L2 these are relegation points totals for team finishing second bottom

Highest - 51
Lowest - 34
Average - 43.6 (44!)

So based on 'history average' we need another 8 points

Not sure if that makes me feel happier?

I think it does... but does we have the squad (the goals to enable us to do this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Limerick Mariner
March 6, 2018, 4:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
When you look at the squad in the cold light of day, after the mini-euphoria of getting rid of Slade and appointment of someone who apparently has a good brain (whether its a good football brain remains to be seen), it is fecking scary. Undoubtedly the shitest ever GTFC squad. And letting Osborne, Jones and Clements go is the biggest acts of squad vandalism I can think of, given the total lack of quality in the rest of the squad (although letting Amond, Toto and Arnold go without paying what was needed to keep them perhaps runs it close).

I would play

Jimmy Mck

Davies
Osbourne
Collins
Mills

Clifton
Summerfield
Rose
Dembele

DJ / Vernam
Matt

At least Matt works hard, I wouldn't have Hooper anywhere near and Cardwell is just a poor footballer. Put the best footballers in the team with a scattering of nuisance players (Summerfield / Rose / Matt) to work hard and disrupt. Then get them to play to a shape and system that suits their limited abilities closets, bound to be a few square pegs with a squad this thin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 4:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Probably an unpopular comment, but i'm not so sure DJ is what people believe he is?

Had a good couple of games when he first joined, but never managed to make the position his own when hes got the chance, and scored 1? in that trophy, and 0 assists?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 4:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Probably an unpopular comment, but i'm not so sure DJ is what people believe he is?

Had a good couple of games when he first joined, but never managed to make the position his own when hes got the chance, and scored 1? in that trophy, and 0 assists?

Same with Osbourne at the back, he's no good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Maringer
March 6, 2018, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
Osborne looks like a player who has barely played for a couple of years. Might be quite capable when up to speed if he could get a run of games (he's certainly more athletic than Collins and Clarke), but he's been too error-prone in his few appearances for us this season.

Jaiyesimi is a young player who has barely played any first team football before this season and is basically taking his first steps in the professional game. Shown some good things at times, but he's been playing in front of a slow full-back who has been in poor form, behind forwards who are doing little up front and alongside a very unimpressive midfield. I think he's got something, but doesn't have the experience or teammates to show it yet! I think he'll do OK in the game, though whether he'll prove good enough for the Championship or higher remains to be seen.

I'd say much the same about Dembele though he's been awful after a good start to the season, possibly down in part to a fitness problem as well as the other factors i.e. poor forwards and midfield. However, I do wonder if he's been found out to some degree? If you're defending against him, don't lunge into the challenge, stand off him and let him try to get past you and you can invariably get back at him to muscle him off the ball even if he does beat you as he's not got the pace to get away from players. Half of the problem is that he's been receiving the ball near the half-way line too much - he needs to be get the ball facing the defenders near the opposition box so he has the chance to do something with it after beating the first man (as he often does). Another one who will no doubt improve with experience/fitness but I wouldn't have him in the team at present, given that he's done nothing but lose the ball for months.

Matt has a decent record at other clubs and has been a handful in some games but in general it hasn't worked out very well for him, possibly due to the injury to his child we heard about before Christmas?

Hooper has some ability, but lacks grit. Played off a decent target man, he'd probably score a few goals but he can't do that job himself so you can see why he's not played much.

Ultimately, lots of players mentioned there but not too much indication that they are going to put in the performances to win the points we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
jonnyboy82
March 6, 2018, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Jolley out.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
devs
March 6, 2018, 5:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
My only saving grace is that this group got us to within 1 or 2pts of the play offs - sorry to sound like Fenty but it is a fact
That being the case can a fresh pair of eyes, fresh voice get them back to at least some sort of competitive level where we are far more ruthless at both ends?

Regarding squad - and a few have mentioned this before - the likes of Summerfield and Dembele have been way over-praised but that's only because we have so little to cling on to with this squad

In the whole scheme of things Summerfield is hard working but bang average and Dembele has been poor for weeks (still learning his trade).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
MuddyWaters
March 6, 2018, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from devs
My only saving grace is that this group got us to within 1 or 2pts of the play offs - sorry to sound like Fenty but it is a fact
That being the case can a fresh pair of eyes, fresh voice get them back to at least some sort of competitive level where we are far more ruthless at both ends?

Regarding squad - and a few have mentioned this before - the likes of Summerfield and Dembele have been way over-praised but that's only because we have so little to cling on to with this squad

In the whole scheme of things Summerfield is hard working but bang average and Dembele has been poor for weeks (still learning his trade).

In the whole scheme of things, most players look bang average when they're short of confidence. Pogba has looked bang average for weeks - it's difficult to be confident when your supporters are on your back.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2018, 7:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Jolley out.

Yeah. The muppet hasn't won a single game yet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Bigdog
March 6, 2018, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Is it Saturday yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The squad?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.