Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First ever Town game?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 338 Guests

First ever Town game?

This thread currently has 13,386 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
February 5, 2018, 8:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
Can't remember - but my memory of watching Grimsby beat Scunthorpe 7-1 in a night match does remain and apart from Tees scoring the first and Green scoring 3 - Brian Hill's strikes cutting in from the left remain etched - and all of this through the front palings of the Barratt Stand - with Bedford scoring a consolation goal for Scunthorpe.

Ironically, my first ever match was at the Old Show Ground, Scunthorpe - can't remember who they played but Frank Barton and Bobby Smith were in their team and they later played for us. I preferred it there at the time, as my dad was able to sit me on a parapet wall at the front so I could see - but his ultimate plan was to in doctrine me to Grimsby Town.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 142
livosnose
February 5, 2018, 8:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,167
Gold Stars: 15
1984 last game of the season versus Chelsea.  Kerry Dixon 1 nil.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 142
Nelly GTFC
February 5, 2018, 8:41pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Teestogreen
Can't remember - but my memory of watching Grimsby beat Scunthorpe 7-1 in a night match does remain and apart from Tees scoring the first and Green scoring 3 - Brian Hill's strikes cutting in from the left remain etched - and all of this through the front palings of the Barratt Stand - with Bedford scoring a consolation goal for Scunthorpe.

Ironically, my first ever match was at the Old Show Ground, Scunthorpe - can't remember who they played but Frank Barton and Bobby Smith were in their team and they later played for us. I preferred it there at the time, as my dad was able to sit me on a parapet wall at the front so I could see - but his ultimate plan was to in doctrine me to Grimsby Town.
My dad told me about that game. Ray Clemence was in goal for Scunthorpe as I recall lol.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 142
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 5, 2018, 8:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Brighton October 1965 night game only wanted to go see Bobby Smith play for Brighton. Had seen Spurs win the cup in 1962 and they were my team until that night with Tees, Green, Foster in Barratt Stand that fantastic night atmosphere we used to have and the smell of piped tobacco etc.

Still go watch Spurs but town is first love proven when I went crazy after JP’s goal back in 2005.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 142
Tommy
February 5, 2018, 8:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Town 3-2 Watford (August 1992)

We went on to finish 9th in what is now the Championship.

Although that was my first league game. I remember a preseason friendly in 92, against Gainsborough at BP. For no reason other than this:

Dave Gilbert scored a free kick but the ref made him retake it. Put it top corner again. But the ref made him take it again. Keeper saved the 3rd one.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 142
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 5, 2018, 8:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Teestogreen

Think that game was played in early September as were on a family holiday in Mablethorpe, those were the days when life was so simple, and can remember seeing the score in the next days Daily Mirror. 10/11 years later played with Brian Hill for Market Rosen in the Lincs League, great bloke and still see him at club reunions and funerals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 142
ginnywings
February 5, 2018, 8:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
I'm not certain as supporting GTFC sort of creeped up on me. Lived not far from the ground and had a mate who lived in Blundell Ave. His garden backed onto the Pontoon Stand. We would get his Dad's ladder and sneak over the fence when no-one was looking. Sometimes a big gang of us and it was late 60's early 70's. We didn't really sneak in to watch the footy, it was more because it was a laugh and a bit daring. We'd probably sneaked into the ABC cinema in the morning too and on Sunday, we would walk down to the old zoo and sneak in there too. Times were hard and we didn't have Playstations.   In those days, they used to open the gates quite early and you could just walk in and catch the last part of the game for free, so we sometimes did that, if we weren't down Sidney Park playing footy ourselves for hours on end.

At the start of the 71/72 season, i got a job selling the Sports Telegraph and we used to get let into the ground for free at half time with our bag of newspapers, and then go to a little shack in Phelps Street to tally up and get our halfpenny or penny (can't remember) commission for each paper sold. Now that was a special season as any Town fan will tell you and as it wore on, i got more and more interested in the events on the pitch, the atmosphere was electric and when we scored, which we did often, the noise was incredible. I swear the Barratt Stand would shake when it happened. The Barratt was my patch and it was a fantastic place to be. People would buy papers and say "keep the change lad". One said i was a lucky omen as we were shite the season before with the other paper seller before me. I loved it and soon found myself watching the football more than i was trying to sell papers. The guy who we tallied up with said i wasn't selling enough and sacked me, so from then on i started going just as a fan, so i don't know which game that happened. If my Mam was skint (Dad was a fisherman, sometimes we were loaded, sometimes skint) and couldn't give me the entry money, over the fence we went, or got in some other way. Sometimes we would hang around in Harrington Street and the players would let us in with them. Sometimes we would just hang around the Barratt Stand and someone we knew would pay us in. Sometimes the turnstile guys would let us through for nothing if we badgered them enough, but we always got in somehow. What a great season that was and what a great finish to it. Me and my brother ran alongside the victory parade bus all the way from Park Street to the Town hall.

That is why i am a Town fan. Got the bug and never lost it. Sorry for the long ramble, but i started and the memories just came flooding back. Can hardly remember a game in recent times. I guess not many stick in the memory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 142
LH
February 5, 2018, 8:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,513
Gold Stars: 173
Vs Leeds, John McDermott’s first testimonial, Aug 1996. In my first season watching Town we beat Southend 4-0 on the last day and still went down. It was an early insight into just how disappointing it can be following Town.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 142
lee65
February 5, 2018, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Boxing Day 1977, Halifax 0-0, not a great game if I recall  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 142
denni266
February 5, 2018, 8:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
First game on my own was Sunderland April 65  drew 22  think we went down that year ,,went to a few before that  with family but cant realy remember much  was 13 then  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 142
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First ever Town game?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.