Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First ever Town game?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 272 Guests

First ever Town game?

This thread currently has 13,374 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 6, 2018, 1:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from supertown

Glory hunter ! 😉

To be honest, I'd not really been interested in football much before then but as my Mum had 3 jobs to look after us 3 kids (my Dad sadly passed away when I was 3) and was working that evening, my sister who, at the time was going out with a lad who used to go regularly, was made to take me to the game with her or stop at home to look after me. She did the former and although I hardly saw a thing that game, I was hooked.

As the lad my sister was going out with finished with her not long after (I don't think he was too impressed that she had to drag along her 7-year old kid brother to the game) I didn't get much more opportunity to go for the next few years, until I was old enough to start going with a mate of mine.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 142
gary_elton
February 6, 2018, 1:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
It was in 1960.... we won 3-1... not got a clue who it was against.... been hookd ever since... through thick and thin... UTM

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 142
Reverendmariner
February 6, 2018, 1:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
1-1 against Gillingham, March 1964. My grandfather took me regularly and I was hooked from an early age. I still sit within 10 yards of where I always sat then in the Main Stand. As for a goalkeeper picking up a back-pass, I remember Nigel Batch doing that at Leicester.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 142
Jackie Lewis
February 6, 2018, 1:56pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
1972 at home to Bournemouth. Stood on the Harrington Street corner and we lost 0-1. Had the choice to go to the ABC Cleethorpes with my sister to see Dougal  and the blue cat or go to the footie with my next door neighbour. Chose Town and have been stuck with them ever since.
First away game was Man City in the league cup in 1978. Stood on the Kippax and gave Willy Donachie dogs abuse. That's when I realised I needed glasses as it was Kenny Clements playing full back that night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 142
St. Pauli
February 6, 2018, 3:23pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Wed     Aug     19, 1992          Grimsby Town     1     -     1          Barnsley   (Coca Cola Cup first round)

Have only been over from Germany a few days before in order to start working in Immingham Dock. Stayed in a guest house at Isaac's Hill and was very happy to find out there is a professional football club just down the road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 142
Mariner1980
February 6, 2018, 4:08pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
87 - 88 I think. My Dad has some old tickets knocking around somewhere. I seem to vaguely recall Fulham?
Maybe..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 142
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 6, 2018, 4:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
Was that a Saturday night game? Think I was at that game we signed Keith Cockburn left winger from Bradford PA and he scored that night on his debut. Do not believe his career with us lasted too long.

That was it, Cockburn did score for Town. Its amazing what you can recall when prompted !!!!

I went to an abysmal away game in August 1969 at Bradford Park Avenue as I was living over there at the time. I must have been the only Town fan there and it finished 1-1 with a Bobby Ross penalty. Cockburn was playing for Bradford and he was by far their best player. Later on in the season the club went bust and had to sell assets which is how we came to get the lad for a knockdown price. I always thought he was a fair player but he never seemed to settle or get many opportunities.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 142
FishOutOfWater
February 6, 2018, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
The first time I ever recall being take to a game at BP was I believe February 64 stood with my dad in the Imperial Corner

I can't say which game it was with 100% certainty but I think it was a 2-2 draw with Huddersfield

The very first game I ever went to on my own was Easter Saturday, April 1965

A 1-0 home defeat to Workington.... went in the Pontoon because it seemed such an attraction for a young boy and I'm still there in the Pontoon 50 odd years later

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 107 - 142
BottesfordMariner
February 6, 2018, 5:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Town v York City 77-78 season. Mariners won (3-2 I think).  I was 10 and lived down Barcroft St at the time.  I must have nagged my mum and dad for ages before my mum finally relented.  I think she had thought there was too much trouble at football matches. I already had a Town shirt though I think. Black collar and cuffs and white sleeves. Stood in the Imperial Corner. But by the end of the season we had found our place at the back of the Pontoon. My dad and I didnt miss a home game after that for a few seasons. I think my dad enjoyed it but by the time i was about 14/15 i wanted to go with my mates as you do and he stopped going.

My dad wasnt a Town fan or I am sure I would have gone sooner. It wasnt my first football match I had already been to Blackpool and Fleetwood Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 142
Les Brechin
February 6, 2018, 5:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
Town v York City 77-78 season. Mariners won (3-2 I think).  I was 10 and lived down Barcroft St at the time.  I must have nagged my mum and dad for ages before my mum finally relented.  I think she had thought there was too much trouble at football matches. I already had a Town shirt though I think. Black collar and cuffs and white sleeves.

My dad wasnt a Town fan or I am sure I would have gone sooner. It wasnt my first football match I had already been to Blackpool and Fleetwood Town.

Was a young Nathan Pond playing for them?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 142
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First ever Town game?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.