arryarryarry
January 28, 2018, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

My eyes along with most others must need checking then it was clearly their player who headed the ball the third official must have also seen it that is why the ref changed it from corner to a goal kick.

We must be thinking about different incidents, I was referring to the one after about 20 minutes, a corner that was headed towards goal via Rose and cleared off the line by Davies, it was then blasted over via what appeared to be the back of a Luton player.

To be honest I cannot think of another effort they had cleared off the line.  
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 76
Tommy
January 28, 2018, 9:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I don't think we were awful yesterday by any means, but we weren't that good either. A bit similar to when we played Portsmouth (h) and Doncaster (a) last season , teams who were flying high and who we contained during the game but lost to a set piece.

I think if we looked at yesterday's game as an isolated game, it wasn't too bad. It's made worse by the facts of the run we're currently on.i thought we tried to play football generally and just lacked any pace in the final third. This resulted in our "chances" being shots from 20+ yards out as none of our players had the pace to break beyond their defence or get away from a recovering defender.

Some tidy bits of play particularly when it was 11v11. Summerfield's effort that hit the bar must have been 35 yards out and would've been a belter had it gone in. Vernam had a few efforts including one where a recovering defender was gaining ground on him so he had to take it earlier than he would've liked.

Dixon and Davies had reasonable games at wing back and played quite high up the pitch. The problem was, again, their lack of pace. Loads of times we overloaded one side, switched it across to the opposite flank to get the other wingback 1v1 against their full back. But they were having to deliver crosses early because they just aren't players who can beat a player 1v1 or go round the outside then deliver. No fault of theirs, they're just not that player. Mills 2nd half gave us that option but his delivery as ever was poor several times.

Rose appeared to be the midfielder sitting deep in front of the 3 centre backs. Maybe a strange one when he's the midfielder who has popped up with a few goals. Summerfield was probably our only player who puts some zip on his passes and he looks to play forward more often than not. But he came out for the first few minutes of the 2nd half too excited and gave away a daft free kick for their goal. Berrett, I'm sorry, is a passenger in and out of possession.

Worst game I've seen Jamille Matt have. Thought he was really poor. Nothing stuck with him all afternoon. Vernam looks like a footballer but when he plays as a #10, we'd be better off with Wilks up top ahead of him and that's a change I'd have made (Wilks on for Matt).

Dembele coming on as an advanced midfielder behind the front 2 was worth trying as I think he could do that role. Sadly yesterday Luton had become content go just sit deep and get compact by the time he came on. So for the first 10 minutes Dembele was on he barely touched the ball because he was playing in the area and trying to find space in the area Luton had all their bodies in the compact shape. To be fair when he did get the ball in his time on the pitch he was poor and his touch was letting him down.

No lack of effort from our lot. Just not the right blend in the XI for me, and we're not bright/inventive enough with movement off the ball when we're in possession.

Massive next 3 games now.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 76
chaos33
January 28, 2018, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Tommy
I don't think we were awful yesterday by any means, but we weren't that good either. A bit similar to when we played Portsmouth (h) and Doncaster (a) last season , teams who were flying high and who we contained during the game but lost to a set piece.

I think if we looked at yesterday's game as an isolated game, it wasn't too bad. It's made worse by the facts of the run we're currently on.i thought we tried to play football generally and just lacked any pace in the final third. This resulted in our "chances" being shots from 20+ yards out as none of our players had the pace to break beyond their defence or get away from a recovering defender.

Some tidy bits of play particularly when it was 11v11. Summerfield's effort that hit the bar must have been 35 yards out and would've been a belter had it gone in. Vernam had a few efforts including one where a recovering defender was gaining ground on him so he had to take it earlier than he would've liked.

Dixon and Davies had reasonable games at wing back and played quite high up the pitch. The problem was, again, their lack of pace. Loads of times we overloaded one side, switched it across to the opposite flank to get the other wingback 1v1 against their full back. But they were having to deliver crosses early because they just aren't players who can beat a player 1v1 or go round the outside then deliver. No fault of theirs, they're just not that player. Mills 2nd half gave us that option but his delivery as ever was poor several times.

Rose appeared to be the midfielder sitting deep in front of the 3 centre backs. Maybe a strange one when he's the midfielder who has popped up with a few goals. Summerfield was probably our only player who puts some zip on his passes and he looks to play forward more often than not. But he came out for the first few minutes of the 2nd half too excited and gave away a daft free kick for their goal. Berrett, I'm sorry, is a passenger in and out of possession.

Worst game I've seen Jamille Matt have. Thought he was really poor. Nothing stuck with him all afternoon. Vernam looks like a footballer but when he plays as a #10, we'd be better off with Wilks up top ahead of him and that's a change I'd have made (Wilks on for Matt).

Dembele coming on as an advanced midfielder behind the front 2 was worth trying as I think he could do that role. Sadly yesterday Luton had become content go just sit deep and get compact by the time he came on. So for the first 10 minutes Dembele was on he barely touched the ball because he was playing in the area and trying to find space in the area Luton had all their bodies in the compact shape. To be fair when he did get the ball in his time on the pitch he was poor and his touch was letting him down.

No lack of effort from our lot. Just not the right blend in the XI for me, and we're not bright/inventive enough with movement off the ball when we're in possession.

Massive next 3 games now.

...is what Russell Slade should have said, post match. Tell it like it is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 76
friskneymariner
January 28, 2018, 9:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
You are joking Dixon did not get one cross past  the first man

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 76
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 28, 2018, 9:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from friskneymariner
You are joking Dixon did not get one cross past  the first man

Certainly not my recollection I recall a very good ball in the first half and at least two in the second which is 3 more than when he has played previously, thought he actually looked a bit better going forward but left for dead by their number 14 when in our defensive third.

Certainly support us getting a new number 3 but I actually felt we were less of a threat going forward yesterday after he went off as we lost our width and a natural left footer. That said I wanted DJ to come on in his place at half time along with a Dembele for Davies as I wanted us to stretch them out and take the game too them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 76
Hagrid
January 28, 2018, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Im not a fan of dixon but i really dont think he had s bad game yesterday at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 76
toontown
January 28, 2018, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Absolutely excellent post Tommy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 76
Maringer
January 29, 2018, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
The idea that Wilks should have been thrown in up front alongside Vernam is a daft one, for me.

Looks like he'll be the sort of player who will be a poacher and a decent finisher, but barely touched the ball after he came on and certainly doesn't have the attributes to lead the line at present. In fact, the only thing I remember him doing was attempting the pass to Mills when I thought he should have shot instead.

Otherwise, the wing-backs did fine, though they obviously don't have the pace to get beyond the last man. At 11 vs 11, we played some decent stuff and actually picked passes through midfield. When they sat back after their goal, we didn't have a clue what to do because the space disappeared and it nullified the threat of Vernam who had been our best player in the first half.

Very poor management indeed to leave all 3 centre-halves on until the end and you know you're struggling when you chuck a central defender up front and attempt to whack it long to him - if we'd put another man in attack or midfield with 30 minutes to go, we might well have been able to put enough pressure on their defence to create some proper chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 76
Mrs Doyle
January 29, 2018, 9:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from arryarryarry

We must be thinking about different incidents, I was referring to the one after about 20 minutes, a corner that was headed towards goal via Rose and cleared off the line by Davies, it was then blasted over via what appeared to be the back of a Luton player.

To be honest I cannot think of another effort they had cleared off the line.  

Maybe right there Arry my incident was when the ref initially gave a corner when it was, in fact, their player that headed the goal-bound shot off the line.

After the outcry from the fans and players, the decision was rightly overturned probably by the third officials say so it's obvious the lino did not have a clue what he was doing.

Without doubt, if that player had ducked his head that was 2-0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 76
Mrs Doyle
January 29, 2018, 9:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
"Dixon and Davies had reasonable games at wing back and played quite high up the pitch. The problem was, again, their lack of pace. Loads of times we overloaded one side, switched it across to the opposite flank to get the other wingback 1v1 against their full back. But they were having to deliver crosses early because they just aren't players who can beat a player 1v1 or go round the outside then deliver. No fault of theirs, they're just not that player. Mills 2nd half gave us that option but his delivery as ever was poor several times."

This by Tommy summed up my views as well. Mills, unlike Davis, can beat his man he as that skill but his crosses never got past the first defender which was disappointing more for Matt than anyone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.