January 28, 2018, 9:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33
How many Luton fans at BP yesterday?

550 ish. For a side in their position, their fans were rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
ginnywings
January 28, 2018, 9:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
If we were on a good run in all honesty would have accepted we were unlucky to lose. That is based on the fact that Luton had one cleared off the line and had one other effort, so agree with RS on that one point and before commenting on town I will say if Luton are well clear at the top this has to be a very ordinary league as I thought they had a better side last year.

Despite the lack of pace defence were fine and keeper had nothing to do.

Whilst we regularly comment on our failure to score I think we are overlooking how poor our midfield is and how we totally lack any creativity from any of the players we have available which makes allowing Osbourne to leave even more crazy. Basically they stand in a pretty straight line and when one is beaten all three are regularly out the game. How was their centre half allowed to advance 40 yards without a challenge. Berrett was left for dead on more than one occasion and whilst tidy on the ball is not dynamic enough. Summerfield remains the pick but his woefully stupid challenge cost us the game today, fair play.he does not hide but we need a bit more guile if we are to create chances.

As for the front players they are far too static and from the Upper Findus you see there are many occasions when the player on the ball has no options for a simple forward pass into space as the movement is poor and players tend to just stand wanting it played to their feet even with opposition players in between them and the man with the ball, nobody basically takes responsibility. Dixon actually put in a couple of really good crosses early in the second half but we have no “Fox in the box”, in fact we regularly have nobody in the box,  just a few sheep in wolves clothing. On the other side Mills crosses were atrocious never beating the first man.

Down to ten RS should have reverted to a 4-4-2 and put Dembele & DJ wide to stretch Luton out but we played into their hands with just the one real chance created which the new guy decided to square rather then shoot which was unbelievable. Why was Dembele put down the middle?played into Luton’s hands, that said his first touch today was abysmal.

Will go next Saturday via Cheltenham but another blank will see me not bothering in the future.

This is pretty much what i would have said if i could have been ar$ed yesterday. We weren't terrible and Luton weren't great, but our midfield is just so vanilla. They don't do anything unexpected and they create/score very little. Summerfield basically wins MOM every week for not being terrible. He doesn't create much at all and he never scores.

Berrett is just a nothing player. At one point yesterday he got the ball and i couldn't help but shout "just fooking do something". He never does. None of them make it difficult for defenders. Nobody drives at defences like Nolan did when he was here. It's all too easy for teams to keep their shape against us and let's not forget, we have the relegated York City midfield pair regularly starting together for us. Says it all really.

As for the Wilks chance; if you watch his goals for Accy, they are all left footed strikes. The chance yesterday was on his right, so i suspect that's why he didn't have a shot, and tried to play someone in with the outside of his left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 28, 2018, 9:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from ginnywings

This is pretty much what i would have said if i could have been ar$ed yesterday. We weren't terrible and Luton weren't great, but our midfield is just so vanilla. They don't do anything unexpected and they create/score very little. Summerfield basically wins MOM every week for not being terrible. He doesn't create much at all and he never scores.

Berrett is just a nothing player. At one point yesterday he got the ball and i couldn't help but shout "just fooking do something". He never does. None of them make it difficult for defenders. Nobody drives at defences like Nolan did when he was here. It's all too easy for teams to keep their shape against us and let's not forget, we have the relegated York City midfield pair regularly starting together for us. Says it all really.

As for the Wilks chance; if you watch his goals for Accy, they are all left footed strikes. The chance yesterday was on his right, so i suspect that's why he didn't have a shot, and tried to play someone in with the outside of his left.

Good point about our midfield taking York down so nobody can argue that these guys are not consistent. What disappointed me about the Wicks. Chance is here we have a new guy, debut, clean through and wrong foot or not I would have expected him to pull the trigger. For natural strikers that’s their basic instinct, remember bemoaning Bogle (& Andy Cook) for not passing to a better placed teammate but that’s what you get if you want someone who scores regularly. Early days for him but just want a striker who loves scoring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
Croxton
January 28, 2018, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Yes, just as I saw it from the upper Youngs. Lethargic movement and predictable passing. Somerfield TOO charged up and silly foul. Some refs would have given a yellow for some of his  earlier challenges. He tries hard to make up for Berrett's invisibility.
New lad should have been on earlier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2018, 9:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from ginnywings

550 ish. For a side in their position, their fans were rubbish.

Their attendance was affected by the fact that if you have a tag attached to your leg you can't leave Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
Bigdog
January 28, 2018, 9:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings

Our central midfield is nowhere near good enough. Berrett and Summerfield neat and tidy but we've got what we've bought, a midfield pair from a relegated League Two side. Not quick enough, not strong enough, not disciplined enough when marking without the ball, and not clever or penetrative enough with the ball going forward.

Above is a copy and paste of part of my post from the Colchester away just back thread eighteen months ago. How have we not progressed from all that time ago? Like somebody else said, our board are operating at their maximum capacity in trying to tread water or avert a slide backwards. They are out of their depth in knowledge, ability and cold hard cash that's willing to be invested in the squad, or more accurately, loaned.

Try as he might Summerfield is not the answer and Berrett even more so. Strengthening the midfield with different to what we've got or by playing the departed JO in a three would have far more effect on results than signing forward after forward.

And while we're at it, I keep seeing, "Clarke and Collins played well apart from being slow". Having slow centre halves has a massive effect on how your team sets up. Massive. I said in the summer it was a mistake to sign DC and NC and I've seen nothing this season to convince me that the team would have done any worse with younger quicker players in there and we should have had a proper look at KO as he was one of the signings that did come with positive reports from the fans of teams he played for.

It's criminal what Slade's recruitment and tactics are doing to the team and the club.. It was as obvious last summer as it is now and it infuriates me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
Abdul19
January 28, 2018, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ginnywings

Annoyingly, until a couple of weeks ago, we had a player on the books capable of doing just that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.