pen penfras
January 8, 2018, 2:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 1mickylyons

This.Also when we actually took a gamble and paid a fee Bogle look what we got back firstly in terms of his goals then his sell on fee.Must speculate to accumalate

We also spent fees on Berrett, Mills, Osborne, Assante, Jones and Clements. Speculating doesn't always lead to accumulating.

The last thing I think we should do at this stage is shell out more money, building up more debt and adding players to an already too large squad. Lets face it, we aren't getting in the play offs this season and very unlikely to go down. I'd be trying to get rid of as much deadwood as possible, try and get some talent in on loan and re-evaluate at the end of the season when contracts are up and the squad isn't so large.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 129
1mickylyons
January 8, 2018, 2:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from pen penfras

We also spent fees on Berrett, Mills, Osborne, Assante, Jones and Clements. Speculating doesn't always lead to accumulating.

The last thing I think we should do at this stage is shell out more money, building up more debt and adding players to an already too large squad. Lets face it, we aren't getting in the play offs this season and very unlikely to go down. I'd be trying to get rid of as much deadwood as possible, try and get some talent in on loan and re-evaluate at the end of the season when contracts are up and the squad isn't so large.

Mills and Jones are money in the bank in my opinion and Town should recoup their outlay on Osborne £ in vs £ out massive profit to Town so not getting your argument.Bogle alone via his goals fired us into the League which was worth £1M extra a year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 129
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2018, 2:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Unless he is a replacement for someone who is moving out, this is a waste of time and money. To expect a kid like this with so little experience to hit the ground running with goals is like urinating against a hurricane. As part of a package he might be OK but so far it looks as if we are just collecting non-scoring strikers like homosexual cards.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 129
ginnywings
January 8, 2018, 2:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
You can argue all day about who and what we should be signing but the fact is, we can't score goals, and if you can't score goals, you can't win games. If you can't win games, there is only one way you are going. I think we will probably be safe this season, but nothing is guaranteed. Hartlepool couldn't stop the rot once it started and we should learn from past experience that relegation out of the league structure is not beyond even a club of our size.

For me, it shouldn't be a case of we can't afford to bring in a decent striker. It should be a case of we can't afford not to. How much does it cost to get one in, against how much it costs the club in falling attendances, or more scarily, relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 129
mariner91
January 8, 2018, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm fairly certain we didn't pay a fee for Mills.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 129
pen penfras
January 8, 2018, 2:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Mills and Jones are money in the bank in my opinion and Town should recoup their outlay on Osborne £ in vs £ out massive profit to Town so not getting your argument.Bogle alone via his goals fired us into the League which was worth £1M extra a year.

You aren't serious? You think they'll pay what they paid us for a player that doesn't want to be here and wants to be there? GrimReaper said £20k for him, we paid much more. Add to that his wages for being injured almost the entire time he's been here. Massive loss to Town.

I'm not getting your argument. We all know what Bogle did, but we don't have another Bogle at the club and spending money isn't going to guarantee you get one. At almost all clubs, more signings are bad or indifferent than good. Spending money now is just a bigger hole in a budget that's already gone mammaries up.

Mills and Jones have sell on value, but they need to up their game. Neither have played consistently well this season. Mills is out of contract at the end of the season, so hardly money in the bank.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 129
pen penfras
January 8, 2018, 2:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

I'm fairly certain we didn't pay a fee for Mills.

I thought he was under 24 when we signed him. You're right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 129
Perkins
January 8, 2018, 2:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I posted on another thread yesterday that i had spoken to a friend who's a Derby fan about Mason Bennett when he was the rumoured signing and he said he was good and would do a good job for us. i rang him today when this new signing was announced and he said Charles Vernam? who's that? never heard of him.
Good luck kid, you're gonna need it, in spades.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 129
headingly_mariner
January 8, 2018, 3:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Chrisblor

Not particularly, but I'd hoped maybe we could sign someone who'd been finding the net with some regularity from a lower level. We've had far more success recently with players signing for us from smaller clubs than we've had signing past it journeymen and youngsters from bigger clubs on loan.

Absolutely, I just feel for him a bit because he is probably buzzing to get a chance in the league and he's a local boy. It's not a signing that would be an issue for anyone had we signed any proven quality already. I completely agree that we have done our best when taking players from lower level for a fee.
It's often the same with unproven young players though, if they are a success we don't move quickly enough or are not committed enough to sign them. I look at failures to sign Kabba, Oster, Paterson and Sam Hird who all had promising loans spells and were lost to other clubs.

It shows a lack of ambition if we don't add the required quality in January. If we make some signings that the club have clearly spent money and beaten competition for, it would show some intent.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 129
January 8, 2018, 3:50pm
Guest User
From all accounts, this kid is very well thought of at Derby and has been very unlucky with injuries.
His time at Coventry was ended with a dislocated shoulder. Following which he has also suffered with a nasty chipped thigh bone which required surgery. And I believe a knee injury

So his road to recovery has been difficult, but Derby now want him playing football and getting up and running.

He is well thought of to have progressed from their Academy and won a contract, and at his age to have remained on their books through the youth system as a young pro, with a number of managers there during that time. Now pardon me if I am mistaken, but none of our other strikers in the building have been in that position recently at a Championship club.

This kids has scored goals at Under 23 level against impressive opposition. For all that we know he could be a diamond of a kid that is ready to break onto the scene, and may be coming in at a level that will be great to get him up and running.

Lets wait and see shall we. I am not going to condemn him until we see how he gets on. Good luck kid, I hope you do well
Reply: 89 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signing number 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.