13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
January 8, 2018, 9:31pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10

That has lit the blue touch paper with me! It is the owners responsibility to find the money. That is his job. If he cannot find the money, then what exactly is the point of his tenure? We are not talking millions are we? This is the problem - there is no desire to actually go out and do something positive to get us believing again. There is only one man who can do something about trying to put right the endless series of mistakes and mismanagement so he had better get a move on.

This is exactly what happened prior to our relegation out of the league altogether - cheap signings, journeyman pros and a club mired in despair. We (he) has got to have a positive influence on things otherwise, I repeat, what is he there for???

I do agree with you but to coin a phrase I usually hate "We have to cut out cloth accordingly". Budgets are there for a reason... History is littered with clubs that have 'gone all out' in the hope of achieving success but it's failed miserable and they've been left in a far worse position. There are of course been success stories too but I know I wouldn't want to risk the financial stability of the club on 'marquee' signings that may only be here for the payday.

IMO the way to go is young, hungry players on the way up, maybe looking for a first shot at league football (Dembele anyone?), with a splattering of young players who have a passion for the club. Much easier said than done but give me those over expensive prima donna's any day!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 129
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2018, 10:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Let's give the lad a chance and keep behind him. Sometimes we are too quick to turn on new recruits.

No ones turning on the new recruits. it's the manager we're criticising.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 129
Mrs Doyle
January 9, 2018, 4:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Let's give the kid a chance Derby must rate him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 129
Mikoo
January 9, 2018, 5:18am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
He had trials at AC Milan before signing for Derby and scored a lot for the u23s so he must have something about him. Wait to see how he plays before critising, especially with him being a town fan originally from here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 129
H19P1
January 9, 2018, 6:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Good luck fella 🍀 enjoy yourself, have fun and go make a name for yourself young man 💪👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 129
1mickylyons
January 9, 2018, 7:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

Hopefully they will be squad players, only to be used as and when.

I know it`s more money but you pay them up and get rid by mutual consent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 129
oldun
January 9, 2018, 9:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I must say I think Harry Cardwell has had a raw deal. He may not be the total answer to our goal drought but we will never know. Coming on with 10 mins to go tells us nothing. If e is not going to get a start why is he here? He cannot do any worse than our so called first choice strikers. Hope the same doesn't happen to this lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 129
Croxton
January 9, 2018, 9:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
The whole Cardwell scenario is so puzzling. He has a bit of pace, looks after the ball and works the keeper rather than blasting wide. He was right to request more game time. Perhaps one for next season.
If the new lad is given a start against the hefty brutes of Newport it could be like the Coliseum. Need some sawdust to mop up the blood at half time. Or he is our Coutinho?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 129
oldun
January 9, 2018, 10:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
This player has not played much football of late, has had a series of injuries, is young and inexperienced at league level, why on earth can we expect him to start on Sat and score a couple of goals? Surely he will be on the bench and get about 15mins. Based on that he will be judged. Not very fair is it really, but remember Slade has signed him. Perhaps he is building for the future having written off this season and the players know it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 129
Jarmo.Is.God
January 9, 2018, 12:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from oldun
This player has not played much football of late, has had a series of injuries, is young and inexperienced at league level, why on earth can we expect him to start on Sat and score a couple of goals? Surely he will be on the bench and get about 15mins. Based on that he will be judged. Not very fair is it really, but remember Slade has signed him. Perhaps he is building for the future having written off this season and the players know it.

I hope he hasn't written the season off!

we have 1 point out of the last 15

we are only 13 points above the relegation zone

with 19 games to go, on that form, we will get approx, 4 points.....

The season is not over yet, and for the wrong reasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 129
13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signing number 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.