Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Apparently..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 386 Guests

Apparently..

This thread currently has 8,362 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
January 2, 2018, 5:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
If he's not going to sack him now it doesn't really make sense to wait a week. Either Slade gets the whole window or someone else does.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 42
geir
January 2, 2018, 5:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

Which was his second season, so history suggests, as with most managers that it takes more than one season to get where you want to be with a squad and it has to be said that some of his signings back then were pretty damned good ones. It also took Sir Alan until his second season, so based on that, who is to say that Slade won't deliver if given time? He has been in charge for 30 odd games, so is that enough time to decide he aint up to it?

I say all this as someone who is not a fan of his, but think that any manager has to be given more time than he's had so far, however unpopular he is right now.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above. Any manager needs time to build a successful team. As i recall we used to be in the conference for quite a lot of years with Hurst. The fact that some people here didn`t like his last tenure with Grimsby shouldn`t be held against him at this time. Considering all those players that were here on longer contracts when he arrived makes me think that the REAL clearout will happen in the summer. After that and into the next season we can judge him on what is mostly his team. We all want success, but so do 23 other teams in League Two. Patience is needed at this time.
And by the way - best player overall this season is Summerfield. We were all critical of him a while ago - but look at him now!!

Happy New Year! Up the Mariners!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2018, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from geir

Agree wholeheartedly with the above. Any manager needs time to build a successful team. As i recall we used to be in the conference for quite a lot of years with Hurst. The fact that some people here didn`t like his last tenure with Grimsby shouldn`t be held against him at this time. Considering all those players that were here on longer contracts when he arrived makes me think that the REAL clearout will happen in the summer. After that and into the next season we can judge him on what is mostly his team. We all want success, but so do 23 other teams in League Two. Patience is needed at this time.
And by the way - best player overall this season is Summerfield. We were all critical of him a while ago - but look at him now!!

Happy New Year! Up the Mariners!

With that in mind, please explain why we signed Hooper, Dixon and Kelly!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
Theimperialcoroner
January 2, 2018, 5:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,201
Gold Stars: 102
I pretty certain he won’t get the sack, nor will he get us relegated. He will though lose us loads of fans and serve up utter dross.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
ginnywings
January 2, 2018, 5:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

With that in mind, please explain why we signed Hooper, Dixon and Kelly!

We were saying the same of Summerfield this time last season. Rob Jones in his last spell was referred to as Bambi on ice at first and he turned out to be a great signing. Not saying any of the above will emulate that, but you never know. I'm baffled too at the signings of Kelly and Hooper, given that neither seems to be considered good enough to start, even when we had a raft of injuries yesterday.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Welwynmariner
January 2, 2018, 6:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

[/b]
I still maintain that Bignot should have been kept and allowed to put his squad together over the summer. .

Think the point is that Bignot has lost the established figures in the dressing room and if he had stayed then players we seemed to want to keep made it clear they would leave. He had to go and rightly so.

The Slade had time to see what the problems were and I agree that they made some bad decisions in terms of signings. But we know that it's difficult to get people to come to live in or around Grimsby.

I thought Wilkinson was a very good Assistant Manager when we were in the Championship, admittedly a long time ago. Right now I think we have to stick with it on the basis that we won't go down, but things do have to get better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
mariner91
January 2, 2018, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Well Fenty must have provided the funds to allow RS to make all the signings ( 11 new players ) in the summer. Surely he could have used those funds to get the 2 or 3 quality players you say we need. It's been mentioned on here that he said he couldn't get the players he wanted in the summer but if that was the case then why should things be different now. I still maintain that Bignot should have been kept and allowed to put his squad together over the summer. As much as a lot of fans couldn't agree with what he was doing, lets face it things couldn't be any worse than they are now. I may be wrong but I don't recall MB going 4 games in a row and only getting 1 point.

Absolutely not. Slade was a poor appointment and we should never have brought him back. But Bignot was a car crash and we would have been in serious trouble had he remained.

For anyone questioning how bad he actually might have been, look at how well he's doing at Chester. His team has a worse defensive record, a worse goal scoring record and a worse points per game record than the man he was hired to replace. In 17 games there he's managed to win 3. If you read twitter and the Chester forums you will see them questioning his ability to organise a defence, using weird and random formations and team selections which they also call Bignot Bingo and questioning his recruitment. Most of them want him sacked.

Of the 8 signings he made 4 are struggling in the Conference, 1 is Gavin Gunning, 1 is still here, 1 seems to have fallen out of football and Jamey Osborne doesn't seem to have much desire to be a professional footballer. Slade's recruitment has been shocking but it's a fallacy that Bignot recruited well. He didn't. Slightly better than Slade has arguably but still pretty terrible. Coupled with the fact that the established players we seemed to have wanted to keep would have all left (including Davies and Summerfield who have been two of our very few consistently decent players this season). I think we'd have been in real, real trouble.

That isn't to say it was the right decision to bring Slade back. It wasn't. But just because your subsequent replacement wasn't good, doesn't mean the initial decision to get rid was wrong. It was one of the very few things Fenty has actually got right in the last 15 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Biccys
January 2, 2018, 7:08pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I pretty certain he won’t get the sack, nor will he get us relegated. He will though lose us loads of fans and serve up utter dross.

Sadly this. The longer this terrible product is being devalued the fewer fans are gonna come into the building. You feel there has to be an economic as well as footballing decision. I don't think there's any appetite to get shut of Slade yet but there may be soon if gates continue to plummet. Hence I'm not going any more....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 42
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2018, 7:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Think the point is that Bignot has lost the established figures in the dressing room and if he had stayed then players we seemed to want to keep made it clear they would leave. He had to go and rightly so.

The Slade had time to see what the problems were and I agree that they made some bad decisions in terms of signings. But we know that it's difficult to get people to come to live in or around Grimsby.

I thought Wilkinson was a very good Assistant Manager when we were in the Championship, admittedly a long time ago. Right now I think we have to stick with it on the basis that we won't go down, but things do have to get better.

Which players specifically and who decided they were the ones we should keep, if not the manager?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
TAGG
January 2, 2018, 8:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124

I find that difficult to believe.

It would be better to give Slade some real money to improve the squad with an eye to next season.

2 or 3 quality players would make all the difference, and if Fenty cannot or will not fund those signings then he deserves all he gets.

So what evidence do to have to say Slade will ever sign any quality players????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Apparently..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.