promotion plaice
June 13, 2016, 8:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Club statement in the morning. That should calm things down

The other side of the coin, sounds like the competition is in danger of folding.

Notts County Club statement -

Notts County have revealed that they voted in favour of Premier League academy teams taking part in the EFL Trophy next season.

In what will be a one-season trial, 16 tier one academy teams - most of which are in the top flight - will join the competition, formerly known as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, alongside League One and League Two teams.

In a statement on the official Notts website, a statement said: "The discussion at the EFL Conference confirmed the competition is in serious need of innovation to survive and a number of clubs even stated they would consider withdrawing from the competition if it was not boosted.

"Many clubs struggle to break even from EFL Trophy matches, and numerous clubs voiced genuine concerns the competition would fold if it does not improve quickly, as the prize money and TV interest is low.

"Notts County supported the decision to trial a solution to save the competition, which currently does not have a sponsor. This is for a set period of one year and if the proposals do not work, they will not be renewed for the following season. The prize money for the competition will be doubled for next season.

"This is not in any way opening the door to Premier League 'B Teams' entering the league structure and Notts County would be vehemently against any such proposals.

"While some supporters will disagree with the proposed changes, after careful consideration and discussion, we felt that it was important to explore ways to boost the competition and ensure that it could continue."

The changes, which include the introduction of a group stage, were voted for by more than 50 percent of clubs in the bottom two tiers of the Football League and will see the Premier League increase the prize fund by £1m.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 140
headingly_mariner
June 13, 2016, 8:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

Where did you get that from Heads?

Matt dannatt from the tel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 140
ska face
June 13, 2016, 9:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
There's a lot of emotional blackmail coming out of clubs about the competition possibly having to fold - I don't mean to be blunt, but who actually cares?

It's hardly an illustrious, highly-coveted prize. Managers see it as an inconvenience, players aren't arsed about it, it won't pull in any TV viewers and they've even said themselves that many clubs LOSE money just by taking part. So you have to ask yourself, what actually is the point? Is the only benefit to offer lower league clubs the chance to play at Wembley?

Maybe it's better to let the competition die with some dignity than go down the B Team route, and maybe those at the football league should be having a look at themselves for allowing this situation to arise on their watch.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 140
Vance Warner
June 13, 2016, 9:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,807
Gold Stars: 102
If the competition isn't working then scrap it. It's idiotic to support this whilst claiming you would reject B teams entering the league. The two are clearly closely linked together. Either club chairmen are stupid or they think fans are. I suspect town's statement tomorrow will be equally patronising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 140
northbankmariner
June 13, 2016, 9:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Ska face, I can't believe you say you don't care if the competition folds. Whilst I agree in the overall scheme of things the competition isn't for many a highlight and can be a fixture list nuisance, but cast your mind back to 1998 please and reconsider your thoughts. We are so used to wembley over the last few years we have been spoilt.but if like me you were there that day against Bournemouth when Wayne hit that golden goal winner, and you had lived and witnessed a dream of yours like many of us did that day then it really didn't matter what the name if the trophy was or how much money it made the club, it was about being there and ultimately winning something. There are many supporters out there in the lower leagues would love to experience what we did that day, and for that reason plus others the competition needs to continue, but I prefer the current format and would not want to see academy and b team players from top clubs entering.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 140
Grim74
June 13, 2016, 10:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Poor league clubs struggling to break even, how the hell do they manage in non league with the FA trophy.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 140
HackneyHaddock
June 13, 2016, 10:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Hang on a minute, the other week when they were pushing for League3, they argued it was to cut fixture congestion.  Now they're adding extra games to perpetuate a competition they admit isn't viable?

Could it just be that the real motivation lies in the common denominator between the two proposals: Premier League B teams?

If Premier League Clubs need to give their youngsters game time, they can send them on loan to other teams, such as when Beckham went to PNE, or when Appleton came to us. Or the FA could insist Academies teach foreign languages so our young players feel more confident going abroad for a bit of experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 14, 2016, 7:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from northbankmariner
Ska face, I can't believe you say you don't care if the competition folds. Whilst I agree in the overall scheme of things the competition isn't for many a highlight and can be a fixture list nuisance, but cast your mind back to 1998 please and reconsider your thoughts. We are so used to wembley over the last few years we have been spoilt.but if like me you were there that day against Bournemouth when Wayne hit that golden goal winner, and you had lived and witnessed a dream of yours like many of us did that day then it really didn't matter what the name if the trophy was or how much money it made the club, it was about being there and ultimately winning something. There are many supporters out there in the lower leagues would love to experience what we did that day, and for that reason plus others the competition needs to continue, but I prefer the current format and would not want to see academy and b team players from top clubs entering.

That was 1998. Times and monies have moved on
Even so, it's not that the end result to one team isn't worth it to that team, it's all the f@rting about that is being done to the early stages. That's where the inconvenience and pointlessness is and where the money is going down the pan in badly attended early rounds. But trying to fix the early rounds problem with Prem youth sides is a pathetic idea only useful to, er oooh let me think, ah yes, Prem youth sides.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 140
Cloudy
June 14, 2016, 8:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
The competition may well be dying but the waffle to accept this as a positive in the club statement (& other clubs too) shows a complete and utter disregard for the fans (no surprise)

I am not sure I can believe the club statement that the papers weren't available until they arrived in Portugal? If that was the case surely the clubs should have said we need more time? Are GTFC saying it was only available to them upon arrival at the Conference? Maybe because we had only just been promoted they didnt tell us?Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Maybe that was why it was supposedly sprung on them, to get it pushed through by the absurdly named EFL?

We had THREE directors on a jolly in Portugal yet the TWO Trust reps didnt even know the meeting was taking place let alone having any input to items on the agenda. That is a huge slap in the face for the Trust and the fanbase.

I am a supporter of the Trust and were grateful that they were having a big say in the running of the club.  It seems that I was wrong and that Fenty and the rest of the board are simply paying lip service to them and the Trust movement. Would not surprise me if there was fall out from this and resignations follow.

This last point is more important to me than the vote itself. We CAN & must ensure this one year trial is a failure and thrown out in 12 months time but the repercussions for The Mariners Trust and their treatment by JF and others is a bigger concern.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 140
Mariner_09
June 14, 2016, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Yes this idea about young English players getting game time is nonsense, it's been around for years and it's called the loan market.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 140
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football League Trophy

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.