This thread currently has 24,627 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
June 13, 2016, 1:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I cannot hide my utter contempt for the person(s) who voted on behalf of GTFC.

We have a board of Directors who we are told discuss and, if appropriate, vote on matters to form the clubs opinion. Each board member has equal voting strengths i.e. one man one vote.

I understand that not only were other board members not consulted, the majority didn't even know the meeting was taking place ( Don't get me started on having it in Portugal FFS).

That smacks to me of deliberately trying to keep board members in the dark , that is a very slippery slope and destroys any working relationship in one swoop.

When there was talk a year or so ago about 'B' teams joining the new structure that WAS discussed at board level and the position was made very clear that The Trust were against it. Was that the reason why nobody mentioned it this time?

The decision may have been made from a financial point of view (?) but to balance that I will not be renewing my season ticket (if at all) until the fans get a proper answer from those who voted on behalf of GTFC.

There should be a huge feel good factor about the return to the FL but, once again someone comes along with ill thought out and ill timed remarks or decisions which scupper that.

So, so sad that the hierarchy are so far out of touch with the fans and despite having fans on the board their views weren't even asked for. Shocking treatment of the Trust and fans in general.

It really is making me consider whether I can be bothered anymore after holding season ticket(s) for many decades.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 140
chelseacity
June 13, 2016, 1:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I am not sure we actually need to get that bothered about this, we have all the games back in league 2 to look forward towards, we are back in the League cup round 1, and we go into round 1 of the FA Cup, these 3 i have mentioned are so important to all of us, in reality how many of us are really that bothered about going to pay & watch the Football league Trophy, in my mind it is just as bad as the F A Trophy, it gets in the way, in my mind lets get knocked out in round 1 & focus on the most important games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 140
Cloudy
June 13, 2016, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from chelseacity
I am not sure we actually need to get that bothered about this, we have all the games back in league 2 to look forward towards, we are back in the League cup round 1, and we go into round 1 of the FA Cup, these 3 i have mentioned are so important to all of us, in reality how many of us are really that bothered about going to pay & watch the Football league Trophy, in my mind it is just as bad as the F A Trophy, it gets in the way, in my mind lets get knocked out in round 1 & focus on the most important games.

In my view it is a HUGE issue.

The Trust and the fans have been sidestepped at best and treated as idiots.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 140
Trawler
June 13, 2016, 1:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Petition signed and have emailed Trust.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 140
GrimRob
June 13, 2016, 1:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
It's a one-year trial so if there is a large-scale boycott then fans can vote with their feet. Some people might even picket games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 94 - 140
Trawler
June 13, 2016, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from chelseacity

The reason you should be bothered about it is because it is the thin end of the wedge.

Allowing Premier League B teams to enter the Football League Trophy is a step closer towards implementing the flawed 'League 3' proposals and the effective dismantling of the English football pyramid.

What next - B Teams in League 2? How would you feel if they were admitted and we got relegated from the league again because we lost too many games to Chelsea B, Arsenal B etc?  Would you be bothered  if that happens?   How about B Teams in the FA Cup as well as A teams?  Where does it stop?

But it's not just the vote to allow it that is a disgrace - it's the way the vote was held.

The League lowered the threshold for acceptance in the ballot to 75 per cent. At least seven of the 48 clubs voted against, the proposal would not have passed using the League's normal voting threshold of 90 per cent.

The whole thing is a disgraceful fait accomplis and if GTFC signed up to it then the club has let its fans down and should be ashamed because it did not necessarily represent the majority view.

You should probabaly be bothered about the way GTFC decided how it's going to vote as well.  But until we hear from the club how the decision was reached there's no point speculating about that.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 140
GrimRob
June 13, 2016, 1:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chelseacity

You can't get knocked our in Round 1 as they are groups of 4 at the start. That's either 3 or 6 games. We don't know the details yet, like what time of years the games are, will postponed games be replayed.

The club could just use it as a replacement for the reserves.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 140
June 13, 2016, 1:45pm
Guest User
I can honestly say that this bothers me in the slightest. In fact it is quite a refreshing change to what was otherwise a really rank and meaningless competition.

It will be quite nice to see some of the young talent play from Premier League clubs.

As for the club's vote. Couldn't care less about that either. If we voted against it, we would still have had to accept the overall vote and we would still be playing in the competition anyway.

If I would have asked you at Wembley "would you like to win today and get promoted and play in the Football League, Football League Cup, FA Cup and the new Football League Trophy format - or would you rather remain as a National League Club?", then what do you think your answer would have been.

We are what we are, a powerless lower league club and we have to play in whatever competitions that we have to. It's still football and it is still Grimsby Town Football Club, and that is all that matters to me.
Reply: 97 - 140
Chrisblor
June 13, 2016, 1:48pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
You're literally wrong about everything you post on here though, so no surprises there.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 140
FFS
June 13, 2016, 1:51pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +38 / -2
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 120790
I can honestly say that this bothers me in the slightest. In fact it is quite a refreshing change to what was otherwise a really rank and meaningless competition.

It will be quite nice to see some of the young talent play from Premier League clubs.

As for the club's vote. Couldn't care less about that either. If we voted against it, we would still have had to accept the overall vote and we would still be playing in the competition anyway.

If I would have asked you at Wembley "would you like to win today and get promoted and play in the Football League, Football League Cup, FA Cup and the new Football League Trophy format - or would you rather remain as a National League Club?", then what do you think your answer would have been.

We are what we are, a powerless lower league club and we have to play in whatever competitions that we have to. It's still football and it is still Grimsby Town Football Club, and that is all that matters to me.

FFS

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others."
-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football League Trophy

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.