Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › well I never..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 231 Guests

well I never..

This thread currently has 7,021 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 11, 2015, 8:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The reason there is so much frustration today is that automatic promotion was not only possible but going for it offered our best chance of getting out of this league. There are quite a few people, me included, who don't fancy our chances in the play offs.

Why did today happen? Of course it is down to the players. But you also have to ask if they were prepared properly or whether the talk on the training ground this week has been more about play offs than about going out today with a must win mentality.

I know Hurst said in the media this week about being in with a chance of top spot still, but we have also learned to take what he says with a pinch of salt. I really do wonder what he has said or implied to the players.

If the side bottles a play off game like they bottled it today then we are in this league again in August. It's the last chance saloon for the manager and players and supporters now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
fishheadphil
April 11, 2015, 9:03pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from barrattstandman
The problem is the team seem to have as much passion as PH shows in the dug out . This must surely transfer out to the players.

This says it all for me, Paul Hurst reminds me of Marvin the paranoid android out of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy with his monotone negative mental ramblings, its hardly Winston Churchill type inspirational speaking is it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
grimsby pete
April 11, 2015, 9:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
The one positive to come out of todays game was Hurst's use of the subs,

Robertson went off at HT after taking a heavy tackle,

Hurst put Jack back to full back and brought on another winger ( Chapell )

Later he change Ollie for another striker ( Hannah )

Then he took off Jack from full back and brought on Pittman,

All positive moves,

They did not make any difference,

BUT

They were all positive moves.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
maxfox44
April 11, 2015, 10:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Before today's game I had settled for POs and unfortunately that had turned out to be the position.
I'm not a fan of PH or the negativity and caution that seems to surround him. But I don't think any extra blame can be laid at his door today.
Wrexham like us and other ex league clubs seem to raise their game against similar teams. Today they had no pressure on them at all. Stepped up their game in a bid to prevent us getting out of this tinpot affair.  It's a shame we couldn't have scored first.

All in all, it would have nice to have taken the chance of the title to the last day, but now we have that awful period of waiting for the play off matches. Let's all stick together give PH our support and win at Wembley in May.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Maringer
April 11, 2015, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
The way that basically all the players performed today, I doubt that any substitutions would really have made enough of a difference.

I suppose that Hannah improved things (very) slightly as he was running around chasing the opposition defenders down whereas Palmer was having one of those do-nothing games again. Pittman ran around a bit as well but couldn't really achieve much as the defenders and McKeown had been reduced to punting it long every time due to the ineptitude of the midfield today.

From my viewpoint, the only thing which could have made a difference would have been sticking Pearson up front to try and win some flick-ons - you know you're struggling when you start looking to Mike Lyons for tactical changes!  

Ultimately, when the forwards are playing rubbish individually, the midfielders are playing rubbish individually and the defenders look as though they couldn't pick an accurate pass if you paid them (which we do), you're in trouble!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
ackomariner
April 11, 2015, 11:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer
The way that basically all the players performed today, I doubt that any substitutions would really have made enough of a difference.

I suppose that Hannah improved things (very) slightly as he was running around chasing the opposition defenders down whereas Palmer was having one of those do-nothing games again. Pittman ran around a bit as well but couldn't really achieve much as the defenders and McKeown had been reduced to punting it long every time due to the ineptitude of the midfield today.

From my viewpoint, the only thing which could have made a difference would have been sticking Pearson up front to try and win some flick-ons - you know you're struggling when you start looking to Mike Lyons for tactical changes!  

Ultimately, when the forwards are playing rubbish individually, the midfielders are playing rubbish individually and the defenders look as though they couldn't pick an accurate pass if you paid them (which we do), you're in trouble!

You've mentioned every forward today on how they did, all except the worse one.
If you can criticise the players please add Lewis to your list

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
nightrider
April 11, 2015, 11:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I think PH and the team have had a big let off with the other  teams winning their last 2 games.
I couldnt care less if theyd just gone 1000 games unbeaten, to mess up against two teams who lets be honest were make shift with little to play for, is not good enough. It doesnt say much for all the positivity going on a week or so ago. The team-s we play in the playoffs will be better than Gateshead and Wrexham. We had a real chance to win the league, even at 3pm today.
Yes, we've done well recently, rode our luck in afew games and beat afew 'sunday league' teams but it will count for nothing if we dont win at Wembley.
Looking forward to Southport....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Maringer
April 12, 2015, 12:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ackomariner

You've mentioned every forward today on how they did, all except the worse one.
If you can criticise the players please add Lewis to your list

OK, then. Palmer was worse than LJL.

Tell me one thing that Palmer did other than pathetically chip well over the bar from LJL's knock down in the first half because he didn't want to shoot with his left foot? It was about the only decent bit of play from Lenny!

After a performance like that, nobody deserves any credit. Which was why my post didn't give credit to anybody.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2015, 9:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Maringer

OK, then. Palmer was worse than LJL.

Tell me one thing that Palmer did other than pathetically chip well over the bar from LJL's knock down in the first half because he didn't want to shoot with his left foot? It was about the only decent bit of play from Lenny!

After a performance like that, nobody deserves any credit. Which was why my post didn't give credit to anybody.

I think yesterday they where all poor and lacked any kind of desire .............. The worrying thing is that we have 6 strikers if you include  Hamish who Palmer looks like he is counting down the days, Lenny WTF is going on there? Pitman is just running around when he plays and looks nothing like the player he is. Ross he's o.k. as long as the lino is asleep (they usually are) and Jolley who on paper is possibly the one with the most pedigree has a ham string injury so who know when he'll be back? Hamish well realistically not the answer but probabaly deserves a go in what will be 2 meaningless games.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
arryarryarry
April 12, 2015, 11:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from maxfox44
Before today's game I had settled for POs and unfortunately that had turned out to be the position.
I'm not a fan of PH or the negativity and caution that seems to surround him. But I don't think any extra blame can be laid at his door today.

Wrexham like us and other ex league clubs seem to raise their game against similar teams. Today they had no pressure on them at all. Stepped up their game in a bid to prevent us getting out of this tinpot affair.  It's a shame we couldn't have scored first.

All in all, it would have nice to have taken the chance of the title to the last day, but now we have that awful period of waiting for the play off matches. Let's all stick together give PH our support and win at Wembley in May.

I'm sorry but that is a bullshit excuse, they are undefeated since Wilkin was sacked.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › well I never..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.