Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 11, 2015, 5:44pm
Grimsby town bottle it in a game were the fans live in hope more than expectation..

We just can't cope in a game were the pressure is on us to win with great reward at the end.

Give us a game were we aren't under pressure taking away games as an example we can go to bar net and win go to eastleigh and win yet your telling me we can't beat Gateshead or Wrexham at home in two massive games well I'm sorry that's a mental problem nothing to do with ability.

So copulated off that yet again a Paul hurst team can't do the business when we need to.

Paul you better sort out this seemingly weak mentality problem for the play offs  because you won't get another chance (if anyone has any sense)

Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 11, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 1
Well at least in interview he's admitted they were shite. Seven home defeats is actually relegation form and completely underlines that a negative away-style formation is what he plays. Not good enough and not acceptable.
Posted by: chaos33, April 11, 2015, 5:56pm; Reply: 2
Sadly it's hard to disagree. Doesn't bode well for the play offs does it.
Posted by: Maringer, April 11, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 3
I don't think the formation can really be blamed too much today.

The players were bloody rubbish, pretty much to a man, so I don't think we'd have won regardless of the formation.

I know conditions were difficult but Wrexham dealt with them a good deal better than us. They can't be up to much as they didn't create many chances despite our dreadful performance.

Any team which can perform like that in an important home match can't be trusted to find their way through the play-offs.  :-/
Posted by: Tinymariner, April 11, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think the formation can really be blamed too much today.

The players were bloody rubbish, pretty much to a man, so I don't think we'd have won regardless of the formation.

I know conditions were difficult but Wrexham dealt with them a good deal better than us. They can't be up to much as they didn't create many chances despite our dreadful performance.

Any team which can perform like that in an important home match can't be trusted to find their way through the play-offs.  :-/

Can you expand upon the difficult conditions?
Posted by: friskneymariner, April 11, 2015, 6:16pm; Reply: 5
Its business as usual we cannot play against a physical team who do not give us time on the ball.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, April 11, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Tinymariner

Can you expand upon the difficult conditions?

Windy
Posted by: Rick12, April 11, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 7
Like Paul but you cant change the essence of who  someone is.Had we had a different manager with this squad could we have been in a better position than we are now I tend to think so.However like others have said deserves credit for assembling a decent team and has some good qualities as a person which if I was good enough to play as pro would like to play for him as opposed to say Allen of Barnet.Hence for this reason I hope he proves some people wrong(including me) and gets us the promotion now via the playoffs   UTM
Posted by: Tinymariner, April 11, 2015, 6:22pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Windy

Ok, so play it to feet along the deck? IMO there is not one acceptable excuse for that performance, terrible. However, onwards to next weekend. UTM
Posted by: Maringer, April 11, 2015, 6:28pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Tinymariner

Ok, so play it to feet along the deck? IMO there is not one acceptable excuse for that performance, terrible. However, onwards to next weekend. UTM

One of those swirling winds going different directions all over the pitch, but no doubt that Wrexham dealt with it better. No end of our headers/clearances/passes went straight into touch but fewer of theirs did.

Very disappointing to see us just lumping it long for the last 20 minutes or so. That showed just how poorly the midfield were doing with controlling and passing the ball. Their midfield was much, much better than ours today in every aspect of the game and that is what won it for them.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 11, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 10
They had an academy youth playing in midfield instead of Keates I think.  :o
Posted by: BIGChris, April 11, 2015, 6:48pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Rick12
Don't surprise me as one of theirs Dean Keates is quality for this level

Keates was sat in the stand!

Posted by: jock dock tower, April 11, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 12
First defeat since nineteen o dot and the doom mongers are baying for blood. FFS!
Posted by: GrimRob, April 11, 2015, 7:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Rick12
Like Paul but you cant change the essence of who  someone is.Had we had a different manager with this squad could we have been in a better position than we are now I tend to think so.However like others have said deserves credit for assembling a decent team and has some good qualities as a person which if I was good enough to play as pro would like to play for him as opposed to say Allen of Barnet.Hence for this reason I hope he proves some people wrong(including me) and gets us the promotion now via the playoffs   UTM

True, maybe, but it was PH who built the squad and persuaded the players to either come ot stay. Lots of managers have been given money to build a squad and not come up with something as good as us.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 11, 2015, 7:03pm; Reply: 14
I would imagine fans feel frustrated because we had a chance of the top spot (which would of meant missing out on the lottery of the playoffs) but we have blown that chance now!

We all know our recent form in the playoffs in the last two seasons and the way we played today it looks like our poor form could continue, We seem to bottle it when it really matters so i can understand why fans get frustrated.
Posted by: Rick12, April 11, 2015, 7:05pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from BIGChris

Keates was sat in the stand!

Didn't realize but thanks for telling me Chris  ;)

Posted by: gary_elton, April 11, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 16
Town will win at Wembley simply because I will be in Spain and won't be able to go.....
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 11, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jock dock tower
First defeat since nineteen o dot and the doom mongers are baying for blood. FFS!

I can see where you're coming from if you say it was the first defeat for a couple of months and every unbeaten run ends sometime

Today though at 3 o'clock we were still in with a slight chance of automatic promotion but two hours later we are going in to the end of the season on a low because of the abject failure of a team who had no gumption or desire to give it a go and try to go into the last two games of the season proper still fighting

Other than that I can't say more than that I am disappointed we had not one bit of fight today and that does not augur well.for the playoffs
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 11, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 18
Ah bollix .
Posted by: barrattstandman, April 11, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 19
The problem is the team seem to have as much passion as PH shows in the dug out . This must surely transfer out to the players.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 11, 2015, 8:35pm; Reply: 20
The reason there is so much frustration today is that automatic promotion was not only possible but going for it offered our best chance of getting out of this league. There are quite a few people, me included, who don't fancy our chances in the play offs.

Why did today happen? Of course it is down to the players. But you also have to ask if they were prepared properly or whether the talk on the training ground this week has been more about play offs than about going out today with a must win mentality.

I know Hurst said in the media this week about being in with a chance of top spot still, but we have also learned to take what he says with a pinch of salt. I really do wonder what he has said or implied to the players.

If the side bottles a play off game like they bottled it today then we are in this league again in August. It's the last chance saloon for the manager and players and supporters now.
Posted by: fishheadphil, April 11, 2015, 9:03pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from barrattstandman
The problem is the team seem to have as much passion as PH shows in the dug out . This must surely transfer out to the players.

This says it all for me, Paul Hurst reminds me of Marvin the paranoid android out of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy with his monotone negative mental ramblings, its hardly Winston Churchill type inspirational speaking is it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 11, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 22
The one positive to come out of todays game was Hurst's use of the subs,

Robertson went off at HT after taking a heavy tackle,

Hurst put Jack back to full back and brought on another winger ( Chapell )

Later he change Ollie for another striker ( Hannah )

Then he took off Jack from full back and brought on Pittman,

All positive moves,

They did not make any difference,

BUT

They were all positive moves.
Posted by: maxfox44, April 11, 2015, 10:03pm; Reply: 23
Before today's game I had settled for POs and unfortunately that had turned out to be the position.
I'm not a fan of PH or the negativity and caution that seems to surround him. But I don't think any extra blame can be laid at his door today.
Wrexham like us and other ex league clubs seem to raise their game against similar teams. Today they had no pressure on them at all. Stepped up their game in a bid to prevent us getting out of this tinpot affair.  It's a shame we couldn't have scored first.

All in all, it would have nice to have taken the chance of the title to the last day, but now we have that awful period of waiting for the play off matches. Let's all stick together give PH our support and win at Wembley in May.
Posted by: Maringer, April 11, 2015, 10:06pm; Reply: 24
The way that basically all the players performed today, I doubt that any substitutions would really have made enough of a difference.

I suppose that Hannah improved things (very) slightly as he was running around chasing the opposition defenders down whereas Palmer was having one of those do-nothing games again. Pittman ran around a bit as well but couldn't really achieve much as the defenders and McKeown had been reduced to punting it long every time due to the ineptitude of the midfield today.

From my viewpoint, the only thing which could have made a difference would have been sticking Pearson up front to try and win some flick-ons - you know you're struggling when you start looking to Mike Lyons for tactical changes!  :P

Ultimately, when the forwards are playing rubbish individually, the midfielders are playing rubbish individually and the defenders look as though they couldn't pick an accurate pass if you paid them (which we do), you're in trouble!
Posted by: ackomariner, April 11, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Maringer
The way that basically all the players performed today, I doubt that any substitutions would really have made enough of a difference.

I suppose that Hannah improved things (very) slightly as he was running around chasing the opposition defenders down whereas Palmer was having one of those do-nothing games again. Pittman ran around a bit as well but couldn't really achieve much as the defenders and McKeown had been reduced to punting it long every time due to the ineptitude of the midfield today.

From my viewpoint, the only thing which could have made a difference would have been sticking Pearson up front to try and win some flick-ons - you know you're struggling when you start looking to Mike Lyons for tactical changes!  :P

Ultimately, when the forwards are playing rubbish individually, the midfielders are playing rubbish individually and the defenders look as though they couldn't pick an accurate pass if you paid them (which we do), you're in trouble!

You've mentioned every forward today on how they did, all except the worse one.
If you can criticise the players please add Lewis to your list
Posted by: nightrider, April 11, 2015, 11:39pm; Reply: 26
I think PH and the team have had a big let off with the other  teams winning their last 2 games.
I couldnt care less if theyd just gone 1000 games unbeaten, to mess up against two teams who lets be honest were make shift with little to play for, is not good enough. It doesnt say much for all the positivity going on a week or so ago. The team-s we play in the playoffs will be better than Gateshead and Wrexham. We had a real chance to win the league, even at 3pm today.
Yes, we've done well recently, rode our luck in afew games and beat afew 'sunday league' teams but it will count for nothing if we dont win at Wembley.
Looking forward to Southport....
Posted by: Maringer, April 12, 2015, 12:48am; Reply: 27
Quoted from ackomariner

You've mentioned every forward today on how they did, all except the worse one.
If you can criticise the players please add Lewis to your list

OK, then. Palmer was worse than LJL.

Tell me one thing that Palmer did other than pathetically chip well over the bar from LJL's knock down in the first half because he didn't want to shoot with his left foot? It was about the only decent bit of play from Lenny!

After a performance like that, nobody deserves any credit. Which was why my post didn't give credit to anybody.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 12, 2015, 9:39am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer

OK, then. Palmer was worse than LJL.

Tell me one thing that Palmer did other than pathetically chip well over the bar from LJL's knock down in the first half because he didn't want to shoot with his left foot? It was about the only decent bit of play from Lenny!

After a performance like that, nobody deserves any credit. Which was why my post didn't give credit to anybody.

I think yesterday they where all poor and lacked any kind of desire .............. The worrying thing is that we have 6 strikers if you include  Hamish who Palmer looks like he is counting down the days, Lenny WTF is going on there? Pitman is just running around when he plays and looks nothing like the player he is. Ross he's o.k. as long as the lino is asleep (they usually are) and Jolley who on paper is possibly the one with the most pedigree has a ham string injury so who know when he'll be back? Hamish well realistically not the answer but probabaly deserves a go in what will be 2 meaningless games.    
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 12, 2015, 11:03am; Reply: 29
Quoted from maxfox44
Before today's game I had settled for POs and unfortunately that had turned out to be the position.
I'm not a fan of PH or the negativity and caution that seems to surround him. But I don't think any extra blame can be laid at his door today.

Wrexham like us and other ex league clubs seem to raise their game against similar teams. Today they had no pressure on them at all. Stepped up their game in a bid to prevent us getting out of this tinpot affair.  It's a shame we couldn't have scored first.

All in all, it would have nice to have taken the chance of the title to the last day, but now we have that awful period of waiting for the play off matches. Let's all stick together give PH our support and win at Wembley in May.

I'm sorry but that is a bullshit excuse, they are undefeated since Wilkin was sacked.
Posted by: barralad, April 12, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from maxfox44

Where teams like Wrexham are concerned I think there is no such thing as a "nothing to play for game". Like us they will have a lot of players on short term contracts who'll be fighting for a new one next year.....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 12, 2015, 4:10pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from barralad

Where teams like Wrexham are concerned I think there is no such thing as a "nothing to play for game". Like us they will have a lot of players on short term contracts who'll be fighting for a new one next year.....

Why did our players play like that then?
Posted by: rancido, April 12, 2015, 4:24pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from barrattstandman

But what about our away games - does the same thing apply , especially some of the harder games like Barnet!
Posted by: barralad, April 12, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from rancido

But what about our away games - does the same thing apply , especially some of the harder games like Barnet!

Of course it does! P.H. jumps about, runs up and down the line arms flailing at away games... ;)
Posted by: rancido, April 12, 2015, 4:29pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why did our players play like that then?

And there lays the conundrum. You would have thought our players would be performing to get a League contract next season with the increased salary that could involve. We keep seeing lots of statements on here about PH inspiring the squad more but surely the individuals must accept some part in this. It's not as if yesterday one or two had off days - they all did!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 12, 2015, 4:37pm; Reply: 35
Interesting that you get the pathetic red cross for even mentioning it. Our players, and manager for that, are playing for their next contract.

I'll hold my hands up, there's been several games this season that I've not been to simply because of the negative way in which we set up at home. We had a team and a set-up early season with Neilson playing behind two strikers that wreaked havoc. Arnold could have easily played that role. Mackreth came to BP more than once with Macclesfield and ripped Aswad to bits. Why isn't he doing it for us?

Posted it more than once on here, our squad is good enough to urine this poxy league but isn't positive enough. Away form immaculate, home form moderate.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 12, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Posted it more than once on here, our squad is good enough to urine this poxy league but isn't positive enough. Away form immaculate, home form moderate.

Where does this belief come from? If it is true then massive credit to Hurst for assembling the best squad despite 4 or 5 teams having bigger budgets than we have.  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 12, 2015, 4:55pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Where does this belief come from? If it is true then massive credit to Hurst for assembling the best squad despite 4 or 5 teams having bigger budgets than we have.  ;)

Because of the way we've beaten top teams when it's mattered. We seem to go all billybigbollox when we're playing teams who we should beat. We were a striker light early season and we're a striker light every time Lenny starts because he's not a striker. I stated on here early season that I believed that ultimately Paul Hursts obsession with him would ultimately cost him his job, I'd love to be proved wrong.
Posted by: chaos33, April 12, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Care to name these 4 or 5 teams that you know have bigger budgets than we have?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 12, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33

Sure. Bristol Rovers, Forest Green, Eastleigh, Gateshead, Telford and Alfreton.
Posted by: barralad, April 12, 2015, 7:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from chaos33

I thought it was well known that we are supposed to have the fourth biggest budget in the league behind Brizzle, FGR and Eastleigh (not necessarily in that order)
Posted by: chaos33, April 12, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 41
I think 'supposed' is the key word there. Meanwood 'knows there are 4 or 5' and has listed them.  ;)
Posted by: lukeo, April 12, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 42
No team is big enough to 'urine this league' I've said it from the beginning there are 4-5 teams who where aiming for top spot
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:01pm