4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Sir Matt Tease
April 5, 2015, 1:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +266
Gold Stars: 31
That always seem able to f@@k up every time we have managed to manoeuvre ourselves into a promising position ?

I have never been a fan of Paul Hurst, however I do give him credit for our recent good run of form and the position he has managed to put us in to prior to the Gateshead fixture.

I feel that Bristol Rovers were under the most pressure playing first in the recent fixtures against a side that given Gateshead's injury problems was a harder fixture than ours. In front of a BIG crowd they DELIVERED and won 5-1.

Barnet whilst not playing particularly well DELIVERED and won 1-0 against a team that has been playing well recently.

Why when it comes to the crunch do we lack the mental strength to perform when the chips are down ?

I feel that we have lost our best opportunity to gain promotion from this godforsaken league and whilst many on here continue to calculate the mathematical permutations I feel that we all know the chance has now passed us by !

The same problems have been evident over the last few years in play off situations against Newport and Gateshead, and whilst many on here bemoan the other team cheating or us having men sent off etc etc the problems persist.

I genuinely hope that I am wrong however I feel we will all be having the same conversations this time next year !

As I said earlier "WHY IS IT ALWAYS US THAT F@@K UP" ?

Discuss...........

PS I do not wish this to be seen a negative post, more a post borne from continued frustration !!!!!!! Having said that I envisage attending all the remaining games to offer my FULL support to the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
HackneyHaddock
April 5, 2015, 1:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Plenty of Barnet fans were saying "How come we messed up against Alfreton letting in a last minute goal, while Grimsby did what they were supposed to by putting Welling away 2-0?"

It's all perception and our position is down to results over a season, with many of the poorer results coming at home in the first half of the season before we really started to fire with Palmer joining the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
Les Brechin
April 5, 2015, 1:55pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
So, we're conveniently forgetting about a couple of weeks ago when Bristol lost at home to Eastleigh in front of a 7k plus crowd, Barnet lost 3-1 at home to FGR whilst we were winning 2-1 at Woking.

You can't just pick results from the last game just to try and prove a point.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
moosey_club
April 5, 2015, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,143
Gold Stars: 220
if...and it is still an if....but if we do fck up what has been our best opportunity so far then you only really have to look at one thing IMO, the failure to sign a decent striker in close season.
We knew we needed one, but didnt get one, yes the shop has hit a few now but how many more has he missed? Yesterday he himself had two in front of goal opportunities, one high over the bar the other a weak header.
Ollie Palmer has ignited the front line, look back at the first half of the season and just think what a striker like that would have done for us in those losses and draws.

Barnet have Akinde, a match winner, thats the only difference between them and the rest of us chasing them, he scores regularly.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
GrimRob
April 5, 2015, 2:34pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
At the end of the day there are only two prizes at the end of the season. There are probably at least a dozen clubs who are in a "promising" position at some stage and hope to get one of these prizes. So I would argue that "flipping up" as you put it is actually the norm for every club and it certainly isn't just us when we do so.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 31
Sir Matt Tease
April 5, 2015, 2:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +266
Gold Stars: 31
I fear you are missing my point. I am not talking about what Eastleigh or FGR did a few weeks ago, that is irrelevant.

The point I am making was about three teams with relatively equal opportunities to win the league going into matches at the squeaky bum time of the season.

Two DELIVERED and one DID NOT (AGAIN) !

If we end up in the play-offs I fear we do not possess the mental strength to gain promotion and I felt that our best opportunity was via the automatic route !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Tangerine Chris
April 5, 2015, 2:54pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
No team has the devine right to win every game.  Barnet and Rovers have both "fcked up" as you put it, in recent games, and we took advantage by winning.  However, yesterday was just one of those games that no matter what, Lenny and Palmer were just never going to score.

There are 4 more cup finals to win between now and the end of the conference season, and if necessary, a few more games if we need in the playoffs

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
GiveUsAG
April 5, 2015, 3:26pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
KEEP CALM AND KEEP FAITH, THE TOWN ARE GOING UP!  

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
MeanwoodMariner
April 5, 2015, 3:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
7 wins and 2 draws in the last 9 games. I suspect you have a different definition to most about what "f*cking up" is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
aldi_01
April 5, 2015, 3:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The original point is also irrelevant if you are comparing all three teams against one set of results.

Had this been the weekend we won at Woking then this whole discussion would be completely different.

Either a poor attempt at trolling or someone that really is a pessimist.

I'm basking in the glory of us being in the title hunt, if Barnet really were as good as they think they'd have already won the title...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.