Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why is it us ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 289 Guests

Why is it us ?

This thread currently has 6,325 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
CambsMariner
April 5, 2015, 7:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +129
It,s all if buts and maybe's. We may have lost a game here or dropped a point there but so have Barnet and Bristol Rovers. If we are good enough or lucky enough we will go up if not then we will fight again next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Caesar
April 5, 2015, 7:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
In answer to the original question, because we care about our team.  We always watch our team and put our results under the microscscope more than any others.

Yesterday was annoying but we have been coming from a long way behind, we have been on an amazing run to get ourselves back into it, we can pick and choose results from all over the season, but we didn't 'mess up' yesterday because of 'pressure' but because we came up against a 'clever' side who played as well. If we collapse under pressure we can discuss that but that was not what happened yesterday imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
arryarryarry
April 5, 2015, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from big al
I'm afraid ithe original post is very much a negative one for me. It ignores all the team have done to put themselves in this position in the first place. Barnet looked like they were running away with it for most of the season and Bristol Rovers are clearly going to be devastated if they don't go straight back up so the sentiment of even suggesting we have f@@ked up misses the point.

Yesterday was a bit of a slap in the face but could have been worse and the remaining games all need to be won and then we might have a slim chance with a bit of luck.

I think last year against Gateshead and the year before at Newport weren't really about f@@cking up - we simply found our level. This year it is very different. I like a lot of fans, I guess, thought yesterday was a formality. I think we forgot there may be a few half decent teams trying to stop the Mighty Mariners dream coming true. We played pretty well yesterday and it didn't work out exactly as we wanted it to but we certainly didn't 'f - up'.

With regard to finding our level, Neil Woods did that by crap management of a poor squad, that got relegated and then signing more crap players that weren't anywhere good enough to get us promoted.

We are still here after 5 seasons and although this looks like our best chance so far of getting back in the league it is all down to the next four games or the three after, and current form won't come in to it, it is all down to the performances on the day and unfortunately Saturday's wasn't good enough, let's hope the next few games are better.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Sconeboy
April 5, 2015, 10:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
To be fair I can see where the OP is coming from.

Sides that win titles deliver the goods when it matters the most. The lost points earlier in the season have gone, we got ourselves right back into the race and slipped up at a time when no more slip-ups could be afforded.

Who knows what may happen in the playoffs though?

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Sir Matt Tease
April 5, 2015, 11:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 31
Thank god for Sconeboy, it took 23 posts before someone read and understood the point being made in the original post !!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
horsforthmariner
April 5, 2015, 11:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
The original post was my immediate reaction on Saturday.

Thinking about this logically:

Out of the three team we had by far the hardest game on Saturday, we now have the easiest run in our respective fixtures.

It is actually very very hard to win every match - Our record since Jan 2nd is 10 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats - or 32 points out of 42 - THAT IS ASTONISHINGLY GOOD.  The problem is that in our first 14 games we only managed 20 points out of 42.

We are in very good shape if we don't win the title (and I think we might). Lets not get on anyone's backs we are in a title race, but we are no longer under any pressure, its for others to lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
MeanwoodMariner
April 5, 2015, 11:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I think every understood your point, they just disagreed with it.

You are looking at one game in isolation and claiming it as proof we always mess up when it really matters and the other title contenders don't.

The preceding 3 games all really mattered and we won them all. Barnet and Bristol have dropped points recently when it really mattered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
moosey_club
April 6, 2015, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Sconeboy
To be fair I can see where the OP is coming from.

Sides that win titles deliver the goods when it matters the most. The lost points earlier in the season have gone, we got ourselves right back into the race and slipped up at a time when no more slip-ups could be afforded.

Who knows what may happen in the playoffs though?

Almost but not quite...we have never been in pole position...slip ups made have always been in relation to catching up..never extending a lead or consilidating a position.
We only won 5 games in the first 15...that is where the title has been lost, we may only be a small number of points behind now but in reality champions are consistent over a season, we have had an extraordinary second half of the season and even an average first half would have the title sewn up by now.
In reality the league this year has seen no outstanding team run away with it, i cant recall feeling outplayed by many teams this year (Torquay maybe) and therefore that is what grates.

I will feel largely more optimistic in the pay offs this season than previously but as yesterday and for the most of the season all a team needs to do is come and park the bus to get a result.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Tinymariner
April 6, 2015, 1:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
Thank god for Sconeboy, it took 23 posts before someone read and understood the point being made in the original post !!!!!!

That's like saying 'so 22 of you have all disagreed with me but 1 person does agree with me, therefore I was right!
Btw I also understand what you were getting at but still don't agree but we're all entitled to our opinions UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
ginnywings
April 6, 2015, 12:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Failure to sign a consistent striker early enough is what has held us back and had we acquired a Palmer or similar earlier, we could now afford a few slip ups. Barnets form has been pretty average the last couple of months but they had built themselves such a cushion that even our magnificent form of 7 wins and 2 draws in 9 has not been enough to overhaul them.

There are no really good stand out sides this year and i feel that should we not go up, we will have missed a great opportunity because we don't convert enough of our chances. The stats say we have had more shots than any other side but last time i checked, we were averaging 8 shots per goal to Barnets 5.

All is not lost yet though and there may be a couple of twists and turns. We also have a far better chance in the play offs if that is where we end up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why is it us ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.