Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reasons for this run.......
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 115 Guests

Reasons for this run.......

This thread currently has 7,052 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2015, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Hurst has to take the bulk of the credit. He has taken plenty of stick, some of it justified, during the difficult runs. The idea that the team is a reflection of the manager has been used against him a few times, it has to apply now too.

Not me being grumpy but, you could argue that the Hurst style is why we are lagging on the goal difference front. Still a 1-0 win is better than a 3-3 draw. Overall, I think that the Arnold-Palmer combination is one of the main factors - NO, I'm being serious!
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
KingstonMariner
March 29, 2015, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
We're not there yet, 5 cup finals to go. But, for my tuppence:

(1) Signing Ollie Palmer - I had NO faith this would work out at all, let alone so well. Palmer's not only got a good goals:games ratio for us but has slotted into the team well, has a reasonable reading of the game, and surprisingly good first touch for a big lad.

(2) Gregor Robertson - we've been more solid since he arrived. Earlier part of the season we seemed to have lost our strongest card (solid defence). He's solid and sensible and what he lacks in pace he seems to make up for in foresight most of the time.

(3) The two changes seem to have completed the squad, so the whole is now stronger than the sum of its parts. Hurst's master plan seems to be complete.

(4) FGR stewards galvanised the support. If we get promoted we should invite the thick necked t@s to appear on the Town Hall balcony  

I'll be delighted to be proved wrong about the wee man.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
kevikov
March 29, 2015, 9:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Don't under estimate the forest green clown steward, he helped galvanize our fans and players like no other into the solid unit it is now.  

Motivational role for him perhaps? Final piece of the jigsaw!!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
Tommy
March 29, 2015, 10:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Anyone missing Scott Nielson?

At least half the posters on here seemed up in arms when we released him. We've gone from strength to strength since (not all due to his departure I know).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
Tommy
March 29, 2015, 10:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
In my opinion:

1) departures of Aswad Thomas and Scott Neilson = now full squad of hard workers and team players

2) the signing of Ollie Palmer = goal threat

3) FGR steward incident (great shout whoever pointed that out first) = supporters galvanised

4) late away win at Barnet = team's self-belief boosted

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
GrimRob
March 29, 2015, 10:28pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
I think the reason was the stewart at Forest Green. That resulted in the game at Barnet which has kick started this run. A statue of him should be erected outside the new ground.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 45
Teestogreen
March 29, 2015, 10:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Nigel Adkins  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
Brisbane Mariner
March 30, 2015, 12:40am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Having solid players like Magnay and Disley in form with the additions of Robertson and Palmer - plus we have not had to deal with the FAT bollox and really the sense that ALL the players want this.
They want out of this league as much as we do and they can now feel this from the fans - really since those losses to FGR etc we could have gone to 'also ran' but the guys have just rolled up their sleeves and got about winning (or at least not losing to Chester!)
UTM

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 45
LH
March 30, 2015, 12:42am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
It was the guy at the WWE with the GTFC theme signs. It's WrestleMania tonight and he's there again. Unfortunately I have a job and a girlfriend so I'm not watching tonight although he has Magnay and LJL signs for it.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
oldun
March 30, 2015, 8:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Don't under estimate the forest green clown steward, he helped galvanize our fans and players like no other into the solid unit it is now.  

You are right, that injustice galvanised everyone at the club, quickly followed by the Barnet win with the away support in full flow. This has continued and strengthened the team spirit. Sorting out the Aswad and Neilson problem seems to have been positive. As wins have been achieved then the belief amongst the players and fans has increased. Nothing breed success like success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reasons for this run.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.