Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reasons for this run.......
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 231 Guests

Reasons for this run.......

This thread currently has 7,030 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
March 29, 2015, 3:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
What Hurst has achieved - and many managers will argue that it's something they can't always achieve because they're just not given the time - is squad harmony.

At different points in their Grimsby careers, we thought Neilson and Thomas were important players. But since they've gone, we've improved.

Let's be honest - how many of us thought Robertson or Palmer were great signings at the time? I didn't really know who either of them were. The same goes for Carl Magnay.

Even when we signed Scott Brown in the summer, we had York fans telling us he was pretty average for them.

Not all of his signings are perfect, but I think Hurst is good at spotting a good player - not an outstanding one - but a good one that fits into the team.

I'd rather have a team of decent players who all fight for each other (and the fans) rather than a team of great players who are divisive in the changing room and have no relationship with the fans.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2015, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Only (in the main) having to worry about occasional midweek games. As PH said on interview yesterday, we haven't got the biggest squad and - touch wood - we haven't had too many long-term injuries which would have stretched the squad. Imagine us without Toto, Shaun or Maggers for any length of time.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
jock dock tower
March 29, 2015, 4:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Whether the manager's detractors appreciate it or not, PH has given the club the kind of long term stability they have so desperately needed. Nobody has a God given right to get out of the league, but this will be the third season on the bounce we've made at least the play offs (touch wood) It's given fans something to think about, and attendances have stabilised at circa 3,000 plus, which is always going to be good at this level for the size of the club.

There was a discussion on here about a week or two ago asking what it felt like when you got promotion. To all the younger Town fans who've never experienced it....remember this run in. If we win the league it will be like winning the rollover jackpot and having your first jump both on the same night.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
grimsby pete
March 29, 2015, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Sometimes it comes down to just luck,

If we had signed Conner Jennings or any other of the 20+ we were after,

We might still be struggling to score goals and win games,

We got Ollie just at the right time and he has more than proved his worth,

I said last season Thomas did not want to be here and I was surprised when he signed a new deal,

Well since he has gone and Gregor has taken his place we look a lot better down the left hand side,

Scot Neilson was not a team player but only showed his skill now and again,

So it was good work by Hurst to let them two players go,

Hurst has made mistakes but he has learnt by them and is now imo a very good manager,

Every thing has slotted into place just at the right time,

If Barnet win all their games they will stay top and we will win the play offs,

I can not see Barnet doing that but we will.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
BIGChris
March 29, 2015, 4:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Some have already hinted at it but as a fan looking in their appears to be a togetherness & desire throughout the squad with everyone pulling in the right direction.

After the game yesterday one of the happiest smiling aces belonged to Christian Jolley. He seemed genuinely delighted at the win despite being dropped and as an unused sub. The team comes before any individual and I get the impression that is the way Hurst/Doig/Moore insist it is.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
TownSNAFU5
March 29, 2015, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Every variable factor and management decision working out for us.  We have gradually got together and with the team spirit being excellent.

New players do not often make a significant impact straightaway. Palmer and Robertson both have.  

Still WIP as we have recruited 2 decent squad players this week. Hurst said that they will not rock the boat.

We should benefit with the run of fixtures left.  Eg, Wrexham and Gateshead should both have tired sets of players.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
Mrs Doyle
March 29, 2015, 5:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Don't under estimate the forest green clown steward, he helped galvanize our fans and players like no other into the solid unit it is now.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
Rick12
March 29, 2015, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jamesgtfc
.plus Hurst has kicked out those (allegedly) not pulling their weight..
And rightly so

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
MeanwoodMariner
March 29, 2015, 7:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Hurst has to take the bulk of the credit. He has taken plenty of stick, some of it justified, during the difficult runs. The idea that the team is a reflection of the manager has been used against him a few times, it has to apply now too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
forza ivano
March 29, 2015, 7:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Not replacing Paul Hurst with Carl Magnay has helped.

Superb rodders
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reasons for this run.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.