Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sussexmariner, March 29, 2015, 3:22pm
1,  The signings of Robertson and Palmer.  The way Robertson has slotted into the defence, no fuss, no messing about, looks like he's been there all season and Palmer for his goals, work rate and enthusiasm which rubs off on players and fans alike.

2, The Barnet away game. Gave the fans believe that we could actually get out of this god forsaken league

Discuss
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 29, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 1
Disley always comes good as the season goes on but the core of the team has failed twice. I think this is the real catalyst plus Hurst has kicked out those (allegedly) not pulling their weight. Robertson has made us tight at the back and the players genuinely seem to enjoy playing for the club.

We have three strikers who seem to work together in any combination but I think the main reason is continuity and the spine of the team being driven by past failures.
Posted by: Barrattstander, March 29, 2015, 3:39pm; Reply: 2
Hurst ignoring all the 'advice' on this board.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 29, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 3
Not replacing Paul Hurst with Carl Magnay has helped.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, March 29, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 4
It's my shirt
Will explain when in the football league
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 29, 2015, 3:48pm; Reply: 5
Not being in the FA Trophy.
Posted by: Caesar, March 29, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 6
Very good discussion point.  Certainly think Palmer and Robertson have been excellent additions.  Given us a strength all over the pitch, remember as well Palmer was out for a the Rovers at home game and while I didn't see it I believe he could of made a difference in that game.  

However the Barnet game was the real moment I think we kicked on, The fans for that game were creating a great atmosphere that dragged the team onto a fantastic victory, I think that really helped to create a strong positive bond between the fans and the players that we are in this together and can still do it!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), March 29, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 7
Hurst being patient in his hunt for  THE  striker?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 29, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 8
Palmer has made a massive difference to this team also a special mention to Carl Magnay what a leader he is, plays with real passion and proud to wear the shirt.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 29, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

;D
Posted by: RichMariner, March 29, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 10
What Hurst has achieved - and many managers will argue that it's something they can't always achieve because they're just not given the time - is squad harmony.

At different points in their Grimsby careers, we thought Neilson and Thomas were important players. But since they've gone, we've improved.

Let's be honest - how many of us thought Robertson or Palmer were great signings at the time? I didn't really know who either of them were. The same goes for Carl Magnay.

Even when we signed Scott Brown in the summer, we had York fans telling us he was pretty average for them.

Not all of his signings are perfect, but I think Hurst is good at spotting a good player - not an outstanding one - but a good one that fits into the team.

I'd rather have a team of decent players who all fight for each other (and the fans) rather than a team of great players who are divisive in the changing room and have no relationship with the fans.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 29, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 11
Only (in the main) having to worry about occasional midweek games. As PH said on interview yesterday, we haven't got the biggest squad and - touch wood - we haven't had too many long-term injuries which would have stretched the squad. Imagine us without Toto, Shaun or Maggers for any length of time.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 29, 2015, 4:39pm; Reply: 12
Whether the manager's detractors appreciate it or not, PH has given the club the kind of long term stability they have so desperately needed. Nobody has a God given right to get out of the league, but this will be the third season on the bounce we've made at least the play offs (touch wood) It's given fans something to think about, and attendances have stabilised at circa 3,000 plus, which is always going to be good at this level for the size of the club.

There was a discussion on here about a week or two ago asking what it felt like when you got promotion. To all the younger Town fans who've never experienced it....remember this run in. If we win the league it will be like winning the rollover jackpot and having your first jump both on the same night.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 29, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 13
Sometimes it comes down to just luck,

If we had signed Conner Jennings or any other of the 20+ we were after,

We might still be struggling to score goals and win games,

We got Ollie just at the right time and he has more than proved his worth,

I said last season Thomas did not want to be here and I was surprised when he signed a new deal,

Well since he has gone and Gregor has taken his place we look a lot better down the left hand side,

Scot Neilson was not a team player but only showed his skill now and again,

So it was good work by Hurst to let them two players go,

Hurst has made mistakes but he has learnt by them and is now imo a very good manager,

Every thing has slotted into place just at the right time,

If Barnet win all their games they will stay top and we will win the play offs,

I can not see Barnet doing that but we will. 8)
Posted by: BIGChris, March 29, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 14
Some have already hinted at it but as a fan looking in their appears to be a togetherness & desire throughout the squad with everyone pulling in the right direction.

After the game yesterday one of the happiest smiling aces belonged to Christian Jolley. He seemed genuinely delighted at the win despite being dropped and as an unused sub. The team comes before any individual and I get the impression that is the way Hurst/Doig/Moore insist it is.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 29, 2015, 5:07pm; Reply: 15
Every variable factor and management decision working out for us.  We have gradually got together and with the team spirit being excellent.

New players do not often make a significant impact straightaway. Palmer and Robertson both have.  

Still WIP as we have recruited 2 decent squad players this week. Hurst said that they will not rock the boat.

We should benefit with the run of fixtures left.  Eg, Wrexham and Gateshead should both have tired sets of players.  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 29, 2015, 5:13pm; Reply: 16
Don't under estimate the forest green clown steward, he helped galvanize our fans and players like no other into the solid unit it is now.  
Posted by: Rick12, March 29, 2015, 6:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc
.plus Hurst has kicked out those (allegedly) not pulling their weight..
And rightly so
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 29, 2015, 7:20pm; Reply: 18
Hurst has to take the bulk of the credit. He has taken plenty of stick, some of it justified, during the difficult runs. The idea that the team is a reflection of the manager has been used against him a few times, it has to apply now too.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 29, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Superb rodders
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 29, 2015, 7:55pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Hurst has to take the bulk of the credit. He has taken plenty of stick, some of it justified, during the difficult runs. The idea that the team is a reflection of the manager has been used against him a few times, it has to apply now too.

Not me being grumpy but, you could argue that the Hurst style is why we are lagging on the goal difference front. Still a 1-0 win is better than a 3-3 draw. Overall, I think that the Arnold-Palmer combination is one of the main factors - NO, I'm being serious!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 29, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 21
We're not there yet, 5 cup finals to go. But, for my tuppence:

(1) Signing Ollie Palmer - I had NO faith this would work out at all, let alone so well. Palmer's not only got a good goals:games ratio for us but has slotted into the team well, has a reasonable reading of the game, and surprisingly good first touch for a big lad.

(2) Gregor Robertson - we've been more solid since he arrived. Earlier part of the season we seemed to have lost our strongest card (solid defence). He's solid and sensible and what he lacks in pace he seems to make up for in foresight most of the time.

(3) The two changes seem to have completed the squad, so the whole is now stronger than the sum of its parts. Hurst's master plan seems to be complete.

(4) FGR stewards galvanised the support. If we get promoted we should invite the thick necked t@s to appear on the Town Hall balcony  ;)

I'll be delighted to be proved wrong about the wee man.
Posted by: kevikov, March 29, 2015, 9:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Don't under estimate the forest green clown steward, he helped galvanize our fans and players like no other into the solid unit it is now.  

Motivational role for him perhaps? Final piece of the jigsaw!!

Posted by: Tommy, March 29, 2015, 10:18pm; Reply: 23
Anyone missing Scott Nielson?

At least half the posters on here seemed up in arms when we released him. We've gone from strength to strength since (not all due to his departure I know).
Posted by: Tommy, March 29, 2015, 10:23pm; Reply: 24
In my opinion:

1) departures of Aswad Thomas and Scott Neilson = now full squad of hard workers and team players

2) the signing of Ollie Palmer = goal threat

3) FGR steward incident (great shout whoever pointed that out first) = supporters galvanised

4) late away win at Barnet = team's self-belief boosted
Posted by: GrimRob, March 29, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 25
I think the reason was the stewart at Forest Green. That resulted in the game at Barnet which has kick started this run. A statue of him should be erected outside the new ground.
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 29, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 26
Nigel Adkins  ;)
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, March 30, 2015, 12:40am; Reply: 27
Having solid players like Magnay and Disley in form with the additions of Robertson and Palmer - plus we have not had to deal with the FAT bollox and really the sense that ALL the players want this.
They want out of this league as much as we do and they can now feel this from the fans - really since those losses to FGR etc we could have gone to 'also ran' but the guys have just rolled up their sleeves and got about winning (or at least not losing to Chester!)
UTM 8) 8)
Posted by: LH, March 30, 2015, 12:42am; Reply: 28
It was the guy at the WWE with the GTFC theme signs. It's WrestleMania tonight and he's there again. Unfortunately I have a job and a girlfriend so I'm not watching tonight although he has Magnay and LJL signs for it.
Posted by: oldun, March 30, 2015, 8:54am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

You are right, that injustice galvanised everyone at the club, quickly followed by the Barnet win with the away support in full flow. This has continued and strengthened the team spirit. Sorting out the Aswad and Neilson problem seems to have been positive. As wins have been achieved then the belief amongst the players and fans has increased. Nothing breed success like success.
Posted by: gary_elton, March 30, 2015, 9:08am; Reply: 30
Well done Paul Hurst for weeding out Neilson and Aswad.... I was a fan of both but obviously something behind the scenes was not quite right... so it was well sorted in the correct and proper way ( quietly )...  signing Ollie and Robertson were great moves... but the FGR steward must take a fair portion of responsibility too... it set the fans in motion and now the club and fans are a great team together...  UTFM !!!!
Posted by: BIGChris, March 30, 2015, 9:19am; Reply: 31
I would add that continuity in the managers chair has helped. I know some had the view that Paul Hurst should have got dismissed when Scott left, others after last season, but the chopping and changing certainly contributed to our demise down the leagues and the heavy financial debt we have to  JF.
Posted by: fishheadphil, March 30, 2015, 9:21am; Reply: 32
Quoted from pontoonlew
Not being in the FA Trophy.

This, most definitely this.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 30, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 33
The players bought in and the 2 players released.  Team morale and results have improved to new levels.  Away record of 12 wins helped by great support - numbers and volume.
Posted by: big al, March 30, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 34
Reasons for this run......... We are Town.
Posted by: aldi_01, March 30, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 35
I agree with Chris on this. Whilst he has his critics Eric the one key thing to Towns improvement over the lat couple of years is a consistent manager.

Much like a settled team, a settled leader helps in the long term.

I do think it is no coincidence that with two billy big times gone we look even better. Team morale has been improving all season but they appear even more closer together now.

Has that steward contributed? Quite possibly, especially by uniting the fans, as did Barnet away. We seem to have kicked on.

Realism has helped. We all agreed that in January/early Feb this title race wasn't really for us. Barnet/Bristol Rivers should've been scrapping amongst themselves. We've taken it a game at a time, been doing the right things. Yes I know some fans are singing things like 'we are going up' but the vast majority are just supporting the team. When the time comes, we will all join in and get carried away.

And with my maths and predictions that'll be Southport...
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 30, 2015, 12:03pm; Reply: 36
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The vast majority of fans were disappointed with regards Neilson's departure.  Personally I thought it was a huge mistake as he was the man to build the team around in my eyes.

I never really saw Neilson as a bad influence on the team whilst Aswad at best looked a bit of a loner but for from a negative influence.  Maybe they never were bad influences but their departures may have created even greater togetherness in the dressing room.

Over the last few months I think we've seen quite a few incidents occur that have sparked the tight-knit environment:

I think there's quite a few other factors this season that have helped us on the pitch, there's the obvious ones like Magnay, Palmer, Pittman etc.  

The addition of Toto has given us something in the central areas of defence that we've lacked a bit in previous years, pace.  We were, in my opinion, over-reliant on Aswad for covering across at times.  I still feel we rely on Magnay's impeccable reading of the game in those situations a little but Toto has given us a little bit more of a cushion to recover with.  

I think it's also fair to say that Jack Mackreth hasn't quite had the impact we expected he would but he has provided a nice balance to the team and chipped in with some really vital goals, something we've lacked in recent years.

Clay has proved a superb signing, not just from his performances but because he's given us 3 genuinely good options in the middle of the park - something I can't remember for a long time.

Arnold, although much slated on over Christmas has been an absolutely key player for us.  This season we've seen the front 3 or 4 link up so well on occasions.  Be it any combination of LJL, Pittman, Neilson, Palmer, Mackreth or Arnold....the common theme throughout has been Arnold for me since about mid-October time.  

The above factors and a little bit of luck with players staying fit and avoiding suspensions (touch wood) have just come at the right time.

Posted by: 137 (Guest), March 30, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 37
Great post diehard - agree with all of that.

Perhaps the only thing I'd add is that Macca has had another great season for us in goal. (We take it a bit for granted now, don't we?)
Posted by: Garth, March 30, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 38
Defence, defence, defence for me, we have been playing a lot of games this season where for one reason and another it has come under a lot of pressure and as seen by the goals against stats the defence has been very good
Posted by: LondonMariner43, March 30, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 39
a great keeper

A great defence

A great midfield

A great strike force

Strength and variety in the squad

A resilient manager who never gives up on improving the squad ( which must also mean a supportive Board)

Great fans

Great team spirit

We may not go up but for our place in the pyramid we have more things right than I remember in years.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 30, 2015, 4:59pm; Reply: 40
So many players going without praise, whilst magnay and Palmer deserve it, Pearson and Toto have been solid, clay who 95% on here didn't want Hurst to sign (including me) has been fantastic, Arnold got lots of stick at the start of season but he is one of first names on the team sheet imo, and not forgetting the shop !!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 30, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 41
1. Non Committed Players shipped out.
2. Palmer and Robinson in.
3. Pittman, Arnold and Mackraith coming on strong after earlier losses of form or injuries.
4. Solid players not losing form.
5. A bit of luck.
6. A nice fixture list since Barnet.
7. No FA trophy.
8. Quality competition for places.
9. Forest Green Steward (or the reaction to it).
10. Less silly mistakes being made.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 30, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The vast majority of fans were disappointed with regards Neilson's departure.  Personally I thought it was a huge mistake as he was the man to build the team around in my eyes.

I never really saw Neilson as a bad influence on the team whilst Aswad at best looked a bit of a loner but for from a negative influence.  Maybe they never were bad influences but their departures may have created even greater togetherness in the dressing room.

Over the last few months I think we've seen quite a few incidents occur that have sparked the tight-knit environment:

• Garry Hill describing us as excrement
  • Inflatable-gate
  • Subsequent follow-up from fans.
  • Barnet last minute goals

I think there's quite a few other factors this season that have helped us on the pitch, there's the obvious ones like Magnay, Palmer, Pittman etc.  

The addition of Toto has given us something in the central areas of defence that we've lacked a bit in previous years, pace.  We were, in my opinion, over-reliant on Aswad for covering across at times.  I still feel we rely on Magnay's impeccable reading of the game in those situations a little but Toto has given us a little bit more of a cushion to recover with.  

I think it's also fair to say that Jack Mackreth hasn't quite had the impact we expected he would but he has provided a nice balance to the team and chipped in with some really vital goals, something we've lacked in recent years.

Clay has proved a superb signing, not just from his performances but because he's given us 3 genuinely good options in the middle of the park - something I can't remember for a long time.

Arnold, although much slated on over Christmas has been an absolutely key player for us.  This season we've seen the front 3 or 4 link up so well on occasions.  Be it any combination of LJL, Pittman, Neilson, Palmer, Mackreth or Arnold....the common theme throughout has been Arnold for me since about mid-October time.  

The above factors and a little bit of luck with players staying fit and avoiding suspensions (touch wood) have just come at the right time.

Have to say that the improvement in Arnold's form combined with the arrival of Palmer seems to be a major factor, Robertson is an improvement on this season's Aswad and Magnay is Magnay.
Posted by: nightrider, March 30, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 43
Palmer. He's what we've been crying out for.

I remember watching a clip of Alan Curbishley when he answered the question, 'when did you believe/ know you were gonna win promotion?'
Youd expect the manager to respond with, 'it was at xmas or it was when we went on a run or it was when we went top or whatever.
Curbs answered, 'it was the first day of pre-season training. We'd signed a player from Grimsby called Clive Mendonca - I knew then we'd be in with a chance'
Or something along those lines.

We havent had him long but imo he is responsible for the run we are on.
Put it this way, i'm glad he isnt playing for Bristol/Barnet
Posted by: easypeersy, March 31, 2015, 7:01pm; Reply: 44
I said I would only buy a new Town top when promoted back into the football league! I want a new top for the next season.
Posted by: DickBarton, April 1, 2015, 4:20pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from horsforthmariner
1. Non Committed Players shipped out.
2. Palmer and Robinson in.
3. Pittman, Arnold and Mackraith coming on strong after earlier losses of form or injuries.
4. Solid players not losing form.
5. A bit of luck.
6. A nice fixture list since Barnet.
7. No FA trophy.
8. Quality competition for places.
9. Forest Green Steward (or the reaction to it).
10. Less silly mistakes being made.

11, A very good manager
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 6:34pm