Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reasons for this run.......
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 225 Guests

Reasons for this run.......

This thread currently has 6,999 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2015, 4:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
So many players going without praise, whilst magnay and Palmer deserve it, Pearson and Toto have been solid, clay who 95% on here didn't want Hurst to sign (including me) has been fantastic, Arnold got lots of stick at the start of season but he is one of first names on the team sheet imo, and not forgetting the shop !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
horsforthmariner
March 30, 2015, 5:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
1. Non Committed Players shipped out.
2. Palmer and Robinson in.
3. Pittman, Arnold and Mackraith coming on strong after earlier losses of form or injuries.
4. Solid players not losing form.
5. A bit of luck.
6. A nice fixture list since Barnet.
7. No FA trophy.
8. Quality competition for places.
9. Forest Green Steward (or the reaction to it).
10. Less silly mistakes being made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2015, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The vast majority of fans were disappointed with regards Neilson's departure.  Personally I thought it was a huge mistake as he was the man to build the team around in my eyes.

I never really saw Neilson as a bad influence on the team whilst Aswad at best looked a bit of a loner but for from a negative influence.  Maybe they never were bad influences but their departures may have created even greater togetherness in the dressing room.

Over the last few months I think we've seen quite a few incidents occur that have sparked the tight-knit environment:

• Garry Hill describing us as excrement
  • Inflatable-gate
  • Subsequent follow-up from fans.
  • Barnet last minute goals

I think there's quite a few other factors this season that have helped us on the pitch, there's the obvious ones like Magnay, Palmer, Pittman etc.  

The addition of Toto has given us something in the central areas of defence that we've lacked a bit in previous years, pace.  We were, in my opinion, over-reliant on Aswad for covering across at times.  I still feel we rely on Magnay's impeccable reading of the game in those situations a little but Toto has given us a little bit more of a cushion to recover with.  

I think it's also fair to say that Jack Mackreth hasn't quite had the impact we expected he would but he has provided a nice balance to the team and chipped in with some really vital goals, something we've lacked in recent years.

Clay has proved a superb signing, not just from his performances but because he's given us 3 genuinely good options in the middle of the park - something I can't remember for a long time.

Arnold, although much slated on over Christmas has been an absolutely key player for us.  This season we've seen the front 3 or 4 link up so well on occasions.  Be it any combination of LJL, Pittman, Neilson, Palmer, Mackreth or Arnold....the common theme throughout has been Arnold for me since about mid-October time.  

The above factors and a little bit of luck with players staying fit and avoiding suspensions (touch wood) have just come at the right time.

Have to say that the improvement in Arnold's form combined with the arrival of Palmer seems to be a major factor, Robertson is an improvement on this season's Aswad and Magnay is Magnay.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
nightrider
March 30, 2015, 10:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Palmer. He's what we've been crying out for.

I remember watching a clip of Alan Curbishley when he answered the question, 'when did you believe/ know you were gonna win promotion?'
Youd expect the manager to respond with, 'it was at xmas or it was when we went on a run or it was when we went top or whatever.
Curbs answered, 'it was the first day of pre-season training. We'd signed a player from Grimsby called Clive Mendonca - I knew then we'd be in with a chance'
Or something along those lines.

We havent had him long but imo he is responsible for the run we are on.
Put it this way, i'm glad he isnt playing for Bristol/Barnet

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
easypeersy
March 31, 2015, 7:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
I said I would only buy a new Town top when promoted back into the football league! I want a new top for the next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
DickBarton
April 1, 2015, 4:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from horsforthmariner
1. Non Committed Players shipped out.
2. Palmer and Robinson in.
3. Pittman, Arnold and Mackraith coming on strong after earlier losses of form or injuries.
4. Solid players not losing form.
5. A bit of luck.
6. A nice fixture list since Barnet.
7. No FA trophy.
8. Quality competition for places.
9. Forest Green Steward (or the reaction to it).
10. Less silly mistakes being made.

11, A very good manager

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reasons for this run.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.