Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The latest round of pigs at a trough-thoughts
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 203 Guests

The latest round of pigs at a trough-thoughts

This thread currently has 7,011 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
sydney
February 9, 2015, 11:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
What a sensible thread
Boring sterile premiership
Give me kiddy away any day ( and those pies)!!
Come on Town
Need a win sat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
MarinerWY
February 10, 2015, 12:17am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
We could do with looking at the way Germany do things... €10 for a Bundesliga match at times. safe standing, even in some grounsd tolerated "flare" areas at the sides of stands... (unofficial but away from the rest of the fans to minimise danger)
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2015, 12:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Can anyone old enough to remember, tell me how long is was going to be when England were to become world beaters because of the Premier League?  All that influx of money and the best talent were going to raise the standard and the quality was going to rub off on English players by some sort of magic process.

Pre-Premier League we had one WC win and one semi-final appearance. Not the best but...... Since then the best we've managed is the quarter finals. That's the power of the market eh?!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2015, 12:24am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

It makes you wonder if the Prem is really good for football as a whole or whether we were better off before it came along.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30699020[/url]

I've never wondered about that. Always pretty sure it was better before.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
BIGChris
February 10, 2015, 7:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
IMO the technical ability in English football has improved but the game as a spectacle certainly hasn't.

I don't want to revert back to the days with the tackle from behind gave defenders licence to maim strikers but the going to ground because you have been touched is sterilising the competitive element of the sport. It IS cheating. Diving is the cancer in the game but the saddest thing is that it is condoned by all and sundry whether they be current players, managers, tv 'experts' and referees
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
ginnywings
February 10, 2015, 7:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BIGChris
IMO the technical ability in English football has improved but the game as a spectacle certainly hasn't.

I don't want to revert back to the days with the tackle from behind gave defenders licence to maim strikers but the going to ground because you have been touched is sterilising the competitive element of the sport. It IS cheating. Diving is the cancer in the game but the saddest thing is that it is condoned by all and sundry whether they be current players, managers, tv 'experts' and referees

Yep, the oft heard phrase on MOTD is "he had every right to go down when he felt a touch in the box"  

Seriously though, diving players often has me shouting at the telly. Infuriating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
highcliff mariner
February 10, 2015, 12:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep, the oft heard phrase on MOTD is "he had every right to go down when he felt a touch in the box"  

Seriously though, diving players often has me shouting at the telly. Infuriating.

Me too , after watching the rugby on sat , the actions of some of the players in the stoke game ( i think) were laughable.
Turned it off .
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2015, 2:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

The game is definitely faster, players are fitter and in some ways more technical but play often seems over-coached. Training ground moves take precedence over flair and the football brain on the pitch. I do admire the way players can now make a run the full length of the field and then get back again at the same speed. That was a much rarer occurrence in the 70s unless you happened to be Alan Ball. Whether this Duracell bunny action is more exciting is very debatable though.

Another factor is the employing of foreign players and coaches. Yes, it may be argued that the basic technique of local players has been improved as a result but who is to say that would not have happened anyway? It is one thing having Villa and Ardiles in a team of Brits but quite another to have 8, 9,10 or 11 very average foreigners in a side. Whoever wins the Prem this year might as well be a team based in Las Vagas or Shanghai as London or Manchester because, whatever "community" building they do, Chelsea and Man City cannot possibly be considered part of a local landscape any more.

The Prem has also killed atmosphere with a business model based on family entertainment. The only thing missing these days is the majorettes cheerleader band. Maybe we were on the way to losing the heart of football as the working man's Saturday afternoon escape by 1990 but the Prem certainly finished the job. Playing games on Sunday teatime just to please Sky does nobody who cares about football any favours. Add to this the knee-jerk notion of all-seater stadia and the whole pattern of the game has altered, for the worse in my opinion anyway.

The ultimate nail in the coffin though is the cash. By making the game so dependent on TV money the Prem has ruined the economy of the rest of football. The players making a name in the lower leagues and then being transferred up is far fewer and the big clubs have a virtual monopoly of choice over signing youngsters. A side like Crewe could survive through developing young players and selling them on. Now the lower league clubs are taking Prem cast offs and not getting the income from transfer fees. While there are always exceptions, there is no incentive to develop young players to the same extent. From the player's point of view they are no longer working their way up to a big club, they start there and then work their way down!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
Abdul19
February 10, 2015, 2:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216

Whoever wins the Prem this year might as well be a team based in Las Vagas or Shanghai as London or Manchester because, whatever "community" building they do, Chelsea and Man City cannot possibly be considered part of a local landscape any more.

How 'local' was Liverpool's double winning side of 1986?

Although having said that, that's the exception rather than the rule I suppose. (and Jan Molby counts as local )

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
DickBarton
February 10, 2015, 2:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from sydney
What a sensible thread
Boring sterile premiership
Give me kiddy away any day ( and those pies)!!
Come on Town
Need a win sat

Can't agree more
Let's all get down there Saturday and get right behind them.
Stay united.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The latest round of pigs at a trough-thoughts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.