Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The latest round of pigs at a trough-thoughts
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 167 Guests

The latest round of pigs at a trough-thoughts

This thread currently has 7,006 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
February 12, 2015, 9:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from WetFlannel

Yes.

How can you say that if you do not watch the prem or even saw the the 60;s football.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
WetFlannel
February 12, 2015, 9:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete

How can you say that if you do not watch the prem or even saw the the 60;s football.

Could be a myriad of reasons, one of which is i believed you were testing the beliefs of 'ask a silly question...'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
mariner91
February 12, 2015, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,590
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from WetFlannel

You almost completed Bundesliga bingo! How adorable! I don't go to Premier League games or watch many of them, unlike the obsessives on here. I prefer La Liga because the plays better and there's more competitive teams all the way up (the Europa League and Champions League winners from last year for example), but maybe I'd rather watch Freiburg on TV so I can be cool and watch their cheerleaders holding up pretty placards!

That's up to you if you prefer other leagues but at least make your argument truthful eh? The stadiums, atmosphere and winners thing was just crazy especially when you say you prefer La Liga which is worse in all three of those compared to the Bundesliga. La Liga, for my taste, is too slow. Many La Liga games that I watch bore me close to tears. I prefer to watch football with some tempo so when I'm not watching Town or the PL then I choose to watch Bundesliga as the play is much quicker (and therefore, in my opinion, more exciting). It's not about being cool or anything like that which I think you fail to realise. People hold the Bundesliga up as a good model because it is still affordable for the working man, something the PL stopped being many years ago. And yet despite the lack of money, the quality in the Bundesliga is no worse than the PL and in my opinion, no worse than La Liga. But you carry on with your bizarre ranting about being "cool".
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 12, 2015, 10:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from WetFlannel

Yes.

Cobblers.  

You can't have seen much of Best, Law and Charlton if you really think that. Best in particular would give any of the current Prem players a masterclass.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
WetFlannel
February 12, 2015, 11:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from mariner91

That's up to you if you prefer other leagues but at least make your argument truthful eh? The stadiums, atmosphere and winners thing was just crazy especially when you say you prefer La Liga which is worse in all three of those compared to the Bundesliga. La Liga, for my taste, is too slow. Many La Liga games that I watch bore me close to tears. I prefer to watch football with some tempo so when I'm not watching Town or the PL then I choose to watch Bundesliga as the play is much quicker (and therefore, in my opinion, more exciting). It's not about being cool or anything like that which I think you fail to realise. People hold the Bundesliga up as a good model because it is still affordable for the working man, something the PL stopped being many years ago. And yet despite the lack of money, the quality in the Bundesliga is no worse than the PL and in my opinion, no worse than La Liga. But you carry on with your bizarre ranting about being "cool".

Absolutely, it's horses for courses, which was my original point anyway. Hell, if somebody preferred the football of the Tippeligaen it's a fair shout. But there's this odd idea of the Bundesliga model (which has itself caused many issues, no least the fact that it's very hard for smaller teams to get and stay in the top league, which created an issue for East German teams upon reunification, one which means that East Germany has no top tier representatives) as being perfect, when it's clear that it's not the case. By the way, when I have been to Premier League games I've been on adult tickets that cost less than £17 for some clubs. Sure, for some, especially the London clubs in particular, the costs are extreme (what isn't in London?) but if you can't get cheap tickets for Northern teams then you're doing something wrong. Newcastle have adult tickets for around the same price as many of the huge clubs in the Conference for example. Saying 'clubs aren't spending money right in the 'premiershite' and tickets are too expensive while claiming we should be given money by these clubs simply for existing' when most of the issues apply to us and teams around us too is just embarrassing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
WetFlannel
February 12, 2015, 11:17pm
Snakebite drinker

Cobblers.  

You can't have seen much of Best, Law and Charlton if you really think that. Best in particular would give any of the current Prem players a masterclass.

Personally think the pace and tempo back then was much slower. See my response about the stupidnESS of the question I was answering above though kiddo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
mariner91
February 12, 2015, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,590
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from WetFlannel

Absolutely, it's horses for courses, which was my original point anyway. Hell, if somebody preferred the football of the Tippeligaen it's a fair shout. But there's this odd idea of the Bundesliga model (which has itself caused many issues, no least the fact that it's very hard for smaller teams to get and stay in the top league, which created an issue for East German teams upon reunification, one which means that East Germany has no top tier representatives) as being perfect, when it's clear that it's not the case. By the way, when I have been to Premier League games I've been on adult tickets that cost less than £17 for some clubs. Sure, for some, especially the London clubs in particular, the costs are extreme (what isn't in London?) but if you can't get cheap tickets for Northern teams then you're doing something wrong. Newcastle have adult tickets for around the same price as many of the huge clubs in the Conference for example. Saying 'clubs aren't spending money right in the 'premiershite' and tickets are too expensive while claiming we should be given money by these clubs simply for existing' when most of the issues apply to us and teams around us too is just embarrassing.

I'm sure there are issues with the German league system, no system is perfect. But I do think their ticket pricing methods are much better and this in turn contributes to much better atmospheres in general. I can't find it off hand and I can't be bothered to look right now but the Dortmund chairman or some other position said they don't want to treat fans as "clients" which is what happens here. You can get a season ticket for 190 euros which is cheaper than watching Town! My brother watches LIverpool nearly every home game and he usually pays in excess of £35 for his ticket and they're most certainly in the north. I went with him to watch the match where Suarez bit Ivanovic and it set met back £55 and I didn't even have a particularly good seat.

I actually went to a Tippeligaen match last May whilst I was in Norway. It was pretty entertaining but rather low standard, probably no better than League 2. Good experience though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2015, 10:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from WetFlannel

Personally think the pace and tempo back then was much slower. See my response about the stupidnESS of the question I was answering above though kiddo.

Yes I appreciate both points. I have said the same thing about the pace of the Prem and indeed all levels of the pro game.

But class is class. Given the same playing situations and fitness levels there really is no way that any of the current lot can compare to Charlton, Law & Best and I would add others like Moore, Hurst, Curry, Marsh, Bowles, Giles even, as there is nobody in the Prem today who can see and pick a pass like him. Silly I know to try and compare but fun all the same.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Maringer
February 13, 2015, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,477
Gold Stars: 185
By law, the majority share of the German clubs are owned by the fans and fans' associations themselves. The clubs are run for the benefit of the fans which is obviously the correct way to work. An interesting article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22625160

Here in the UK, we're a bit similar to the Yanks in that money is king, although we bizarrely don't have the same revenue sharing model that they have.

Therefore, we end up with the worst of all worlds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The latest round of pigs at a trough-thoughts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.