Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 323 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 6,716 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
December 20, 2014, 1:43am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Looked a fairly straight forward home win up until half time, not impressed with FGR at all, fairly toothless and the usual danger man Norwood was well marshalled by Magnay, the tricky wind aided our channel play and i really expected us to roll them over easily.......
should have known better....second half just never got started and the usual pattern of sitting deeper and deeper for the first 15-20 mins appeared again...silly free kicks....hoof ball clearances and desperate blocks all preludes to the inevitable equaliser.....looked like we were going to chuck it away but the goal woke us up a little and astonishing tactical substitution by Hurst    made immediate impact, Clay on allowing Dizzly Rascal to push forward more and...bang 2-1.....followed by another lengthy period of sitting back, panic and non too confident defending.

Overall thought FGR where poor and one dimensional and disappointed we didnt push hard when well on top. With the scrambles in the final minutes and that one that somehow drifted through past everyone we just scraped through.

Magnay was outstanding, Disley, Toto also and LJL and the Pope linked well first half.  Brown, Arnold, Makreth didnt bring anything for my money and Parslow looked shaky.

3 more on the board.   UTM

Strange how we see different games sometime, but similar most of the time! I got there 10 minutes in, agree FG didn't have too much about them. Good players for this level, but maybe at one of the very smallest clubs in this league for the wrong reason? Parslow had his poorest game for us, didn't read the game too well. I'd like to see Macreth look to come inside every now and again and use his turn of pace but he always looks to go wide. Magnay was superb, Magnadinho for me. So far, I agree but I though John Paul Pittman had a stinker, didn't hold the ball up well, didn't shield the ball and was easy to defend against. Dis was excellent, does so well in the air and deserved his goal for his gamble, similar in many ways to the first and I wonder if the plan was to play it behind into space from wide as their centre backs didn't cover too well.
Reply: 10 - 42
BIGChris
December 20, 2014, 2:15am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I though Toto was MOM but LJL the Pope and Maggers also did well. Weak link for me was Brown. He consistently gave the ball away and was well short of the level we saw earlier in the season. Defensively FGR were very poor. We haven't seen a slower back 4 at BP all season.

Just guesses but Parkin at £3000pw or LJL at £750????
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
lukeo
December 20, 2014, 5:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
We sounded like we played OK on the radio, Buckers mensioned several times how well Magnay was playing and how well he reads the game. Pretty much backs up what everyone always says on here about him.
3 points. Sat comfortably in the play offs. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Les Brechin
December 20, 2014, 7:30am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Just watched the highlights, Possibly 2 of the passes of the season from Magnay and LJL for the 2 goals and a definite offside before their goal but very poor play by Arnold to give the ball away.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
DocTower
December 20, 2014, 7:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Good 3 points against a giant sized team .  I don't know if it was me but I just couldn't get into the match , it all seemed too predictable  .  Always thought they had a goal in them as they always attacked in numbers where we always seemed light waiting for an option  .
Neither keeper had much to do , thought we were lucky near the end when everyone missed the ball to go out for our goal kick .  I counted 17 of their fans , one steward per fans . Crowd quiet tonight until near the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Rodley Mariner
December 20, 2014, 8:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I thought we were good value. Just frustrated we couldn't get a second after going in front as I thought for a little while they were there for the taking. Shop and Magnay excellent and as Les says their two passes were moments of real quality. Great start to the festive period because Macc away will be tough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Jarmo.Is.God
December 20, 2014, 8:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Agree what les said on Magnay, What a player !

Arnold has impressed me however of course, give the ball away in the build up to there goal.

Pitmann is very skillful and looks dangerous everytime he gets it, keep him and the shop fit and we are onto a winner !

great ball by the shop to Disley who finished expertly.

Parkin to be fair, looked a good player, very slow, but such a gifted player.

overall, impressive performance, and great 3 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
chaos33
December 20, 2014, 8:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Chuffed with 3 more points.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 20, 2014, 9:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chaos33
Chuffed with 3 more points.

On a cold December night at BP you can't ask for more. Except maybe a hip flask.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
mariner91
December 20, 2014, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,643
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Agree what les said on Magnay, What a player !

Arnold has impressed me however of course, give the ball away in the build up to there goal.

Pitmann is very skillful and looks dangerous everytime he gets it, keep him and the shop fit and we are onto a winner !

great ball by the shop to Disley who finished expertly.

Parkin to be fair, looked a good player, very slow, but such a gifted player.

overall, impressive performance, and great 3 points

Really?! I thought he was garbage. For a big guy he won well short of the amount of aerial battles you'd expect him to. There was a twenty minute period in the second half where he gave it away every time he got it and his touch let him down a lot. If you're going to be that unfit as a professional footballer then your touch and hold/link up play has to be on point and his was not as good as either of our strikers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.