Grimal
December 20, 2014, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from BIGChris
I though Toto was MOM but LJL the Pope and Maggers also did well. Weak link for me was Brown. He consistently gave the ball away and was well short of the level we saw earlier in the season. Defensively FGR were very poor. We haven't seen a slower back 4 at BP all season.

Just guesses but Parkin at £3000pw or LJL at £750????

But just look at them both,you can instantly see who earns most money to be able to buy more pies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
Les Brechin
December 20, 2014, 2:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
I think their manager was watching a different game. It even seems that he missed their goal!

Quoted Text
It's our fault, isn't it? We just had chance after chance after chance but we didn't score any goals.

"We came to a big club like this and we battered them and we didn't get a reward for it.

"I thought Jon Parkin was different class again. He's becoming what I want him to be - his hold up play, his work rate - he's doing really well."

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
BIGChris
December 20, 2014, 2:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin
I think their manager was watching a different game. It even seems that he missed their goal!

he can say what he likes as  there are so few FGR fans to disprove it
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
gtfc82
December 20, 2014, 2:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Bitter response from the losing manager! No surprises there!! Apparently our two goals were "absolutely atrocious"!! So he chooses to ignore the fantastic passes by Magnay and LJL! Usual sulking response from someone not wanting to give the opposition any credit!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
MrsMariner
December 20, 2014, 3:48pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from barralad
A very good win against a very difficult team. The wind played a big part. Both Town goals came from excellent balls into the box-the first from Magnay (who was absolutely bloody brilliant tonight especially in the first half) the second (I think) from The Shop for Disley to finish really well.
At times we stopped playing football and tried to match their big boot.
Several Town players stopped in the lead up to their goal for an offside decision which never came.
Pearson got "sucked in" a couple of times by Parkin and we did give away too many free kicks in areas where their big strike force could do us some real damage. Broadly speaking the defence held together very well. Parslow did well.
Some sloppy passing from the midfield, with Disley the biggest culprit, kept the fans on edge. Mackreth disappointing-again.
Apart from Magnay's accidental kick in the face-from Disley(?) there was a worrying moment when JPP landed heavily on what looked like his shoulder after a heavy but fair tackle but he seemed to get over it.
All in all a good start to the Festive Period.

Agree with all that except the Disley bit I thought Brown was the biggest culprit, giving the ball away.
On the match thread all the moans seemed to be aimed at Mackreth but I thought he was the better of the two wide men Arnold was poor he seems to have gone off the boil a bit. I'd like to see Neilson given a run of games again instead of Arnold and Clay in for Brown.
I can see were the Forest Green manager was coming from they had alot of clear cut chances and could easily have been 3-1 up.
Magnay was MOM for me, superb again, well done Toto playing well and managing to play in a controlled way and not picking up a yellow card.
All in all a job well done.
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Madeleymariner
December 20, 2014, 4:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Grimal

Last night Mackreth was again like a little boy lost, Last Saturday against Nuneaton he was a completely different player, beating his marker every time and showed a lot of confidence in everything he did,  put in some great crosses and took his goal very well. in fact I would have given him my MOM.        UTM..

Perhaps MacKreth is just very average, so only looks good playing against plumbers and traffic wardens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
moosey_club
December 20, 2014, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MrsMariner

Agree with all that except the Disley bit I thought Brown was the biggest culprit, giving the ball away.
On the match thread all the moans seemed to be aimed at Mackreth but I thought he was the better of the two wide men Arnold was poor he seems to have gone off the boil a bit. I'd like to see Neilson given a run of games again instead of Arnold and Clay in for Brown.
I can see were the Forest Green manager was coming from they had alot of clear cut chances and could easily have been 3-1 up.
Magnay was MOM for me, superb again, well done Toto playing well and managing to play in a controlled way and not picking up a yellow card.
UTM

Being better than Arnold last night is no great yardstick to measure your own performance by....Makreth did offer some cover defensively but going forward offered little,  if in fact nothing....Arnold was equally inept at either.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 20, 2014, 5:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from MrsMariner

UTMw

Well my brother persuaded me to ditch my boycott and get my a... Over to watch but not sure I was at the same game as other than a break when Macca made a good save I do not recall them looking like scoring in the first half. Overall happy with our performance and two excellent goals and little mention has been made of their keepers fantastic save from the Pope early in the second half and the break when McKreth should have done better.

Agree with most comments on our better players on the night with the disappointment being McKreth who never looked to take his full back on and regularly lost possession. Parslow surprisingly looks uncomfortable at right back and some of his distribution was poor. Think if Aswad remains injured I would recall Bignot or young Walker.

Brown also a bit slow and predictable in his distribution which allowed a lot of interceptions. Pittman has that ability to do the unusual which makes him a real threat even when not at his best.

In the end pleased I went but three big games in the next week which could be crucial. Unfortunately Barnet march on and we could do with them over eating and drinking over the festive period.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
mariner91
December 20, 2014, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MrsMariner

UTM

Other than Macca's good save in the first half, what else did they have?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Richard Cranium
December 20, 2014, 8:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Must have been one hell of a win. No criticism of Hursts team selection !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.