Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 225 Guests

Where have all the fans gone?

This thread currently has 6,650 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WappingMariner
November 21, 2014, 9:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
If I had more time (i.e less time in the pub tonight) to do the relevant research, I'd already have come to a conclusion. I would like to know where those 14,225 fans who watched Grimsby beat Exeter in 1991 at Blundell Park have gone? Twenty-four years later we have an average gate of 3/4k and that only swells when we play in a local derby (Lincoln or Scunthorpe).

Is the reason the cost of going nowadays? Have those who were at the game in 1991 lost interest? Have people found better things to do with their time?

Personally, I can't think of doing anything other than watching Town on a Saturday. Is that the general consensus?

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Fcukthescunts
November 21, 2014, 9:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
I would say a lot down to cost I would say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
cleethorpes_mariner
November 21, 2014, 9:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
I would put it down to Glory hunters now going to watch Ull , Man U and the like
easier to travel to games than 20 years ago on top of that TV has games on most nights so easier to get your football fix
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
WappingMariner
November 21, 2014, 9:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
How much was it to watch Town in 1991?

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
Les Brechin
November 21, 2014, 9:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
I think 1991 is the key part.

The Premier League and Sky Sports have done a great job of killing watching football live. Back then if you wanted to watch football you had to get off your bottom and get down to your local ground. These days there so much football on TV then a lot of people are quite satisfied vegging at home or in the pub watching.

[img]http://cdn3.volusion.com/vlexv.nwmdm/v/vspfiles/photos/SKY10-2.jpg?1391674759[/img]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
Fishfinger
November 21, 2014, 9:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
You've got no fans

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
November 21, 2014, 9:34pm
Guest User
I think it's mainly down to performances and league positions, I think back in the 60s we was only averaging just over 2000 at least one season, success breads interest  if we verge on promotion towards the end of season expect to see at least 5-6000 at the park no problem.
Reply: 6 - 62
codcheeky
November 21, 2014, 9:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from WappingMariner
If I had more time (i.e less time in the pub tonight) to do the relevant research, I'd already have come to a conclusion. I would like to know where those 14,225 fans who watched Grimsby beat Exeter in 1991 at Blundell Park have gone? Twenty-four years later we have an average gate of 3/4k and that only swells when we play in a local derby (Lincoln or Scunthorpe).

Is the reason the cost of going nowadays? Have those who were at the game in 1991 lost interest? Have people found better things to do with their time?

Personally, I can't think of doing anything other than watching Town on a Saturday. Is that the general consensus?

This is not a true comparison, the Exeter game was a end of season promotion celebration, I`m sure if we need to win the last home game this season to be champions it will be a full house at BP
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
November 21, 2014, 9:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from Fishfinger
You've got no fans

Wansum?
Reply: 8 - 62
promotion plaice
November 21, 2014, 9:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189
I would put it down to a lot of fans remembering Town when they played at a lot higher level, with larger crowds, better opposition and higher quality of football, then gradually drifting away under the alarming decline over the last decade, waiting for the club to rise again, and then return to watch their heroes play at the level of football they believe Town should be playing at.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.