Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 276 Guests

Where have all the fans gone?

This thread currently has 6,680 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
November 21, 2014, 9:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I would make a lot more games if i wasn't a shift worker, i work three Saturdays out of four so it can be quite difficult for me, i still manage to get to between 12 -15 games a season though due to taking leave.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
GrimRob
November 21, 2014, 9:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
We've actually bucked the trend because attendances have gone up nationwide during the same period I think. I think the biggest factor is money, we are competing with areas of the country where people on average have more disposable income to spend on things like football.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 62
WappingMariner
November 21, 2014, 9:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
Quoted from codcheeky

This is not a true comparison, the Exeter game was a end of season promotion celebration, I`m sure if we need to win the last home game this season to be champions it will be a full house at BP

Are you sure about that? Agreed it's difficult to compare, but when Town played Gateshead at home in the first play-off semi the attendance was only 5,234.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
WappingMariner
November 21, 2014, 9:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
Quoted from 75

Wansum?

I'll give it ya.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
GrimRob
November 21, 2014, 9:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from WappingMariner

Are you sure about that? Agreed it's difficult to compare, but when Town played Gateshead at home in the first play-off semi the attendance was only 5,234.

The only way we'll fill BP is if we play a PL side in the cup and there seems little prospect of that for some time.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 62
codcheeky
November 21, 2014, 10:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from WappingMariner

The Exeter game wasn`t a play off but a game to get us into what is now the championship, I honestly think that if we have that chance to win this league in our last home game it will sell out
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
Fcukthescunts
November 21, 2014, 10:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Also we could stand and congregate where we wanted also a lot easier paying on gate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
petethemariner
November 21, 2014, 10:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Got to be honest, i'm struggling to understand the question, our home gates  after 4 seasons non league  have more
or less been on par with those when we were still a league 2 FL club and i am old enough to remember FL gates  much less,
i think that considering some of  the stuff we have been served up over those years its a testimony to the loyalty of our fans that
we  are consistently in the top three average home gates and i would suggest that considering our geographical position
our away support betters anyones in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
cardiffmariner
November 21, 2014, 10:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from GrimRob
We've actually bucked the trend because attendances have gone up nationwide during the same period I think. I think the biggest factor is money, we are competing with areas of the country where people on average have more disposable income to spend on things like football.

It's not money, it's success.  Fans of this club have been beaten into the ground over the last 12 years. Far worse than it ever got in the late 80s. Given time, success and good football (ala Buckley's time) you would see crowds like 91 again - ground permitting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
immariner
November 21, 2014, 11:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from 2578
I think it's mainly down to performances and league positions, I think back in the 60s we was only averaging just over 2000 at least one season, success breads interest  if we verge on promotion towards the end of season expect to see at least 5-6000 at the park no problem.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. It was less than a decade later that we were getting sub 5000 home attendances in the Championship, only 1000-1500 more than we get now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.