Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 178 Guests

Where have all the fans gone?

This thread currently has 6,698 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
immariner
November 22, 2014, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Town need to do anything and everything to get junior fans in, it can't be stressed any more simply than that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
ginnywings
November 22, 2014, 10:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,115
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

Up until this season i couldnt either, but i have chosen not to go to a few home games this season largely due to the largely unattractive football being served by either side, uninspiring words of the manager, fear of suffocation in the zero atmosphere and just succumbing to the general apathy that has risen due to our continued position at this level.
I think if you went through the history books i would wager that crowd fluctuations follow the same pattern, a rise when doing well, flatlining when finding a level and falling with continued stability at any level. Sounds obvious really when put like that but we are now in 5th (?) season of this league and rarely in the modern era have we spent that long in any division.
Its boring and people dont want to waste at least £20 (inc matchday purchases) to be bored for a couple of hours do they?
Taking out the Alfreton game...how many games have actually been exciting, thrilling or engaging to watch?

That's how i feel. This league is bad enough without having an ultra cautious manager who is happy with 4-5-1 and winning 1-0. Finding it a struggle to drag myself to BP nowadays but will be there today. A lot of people who attended regularly with me no longer go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
Rick12
November 22, 2014, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Shame the club has lost so many fans. Admittedly people will naturally want to gravitate to success and if the team aren't doing well some fans will come and go.Which is why I respect the loyal fans who stick through thick and thin.True fans who are proud to be supporting a club true to their roots

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
November 22, 2014, 10:58am
Guest User
Feel the same way as ginnywings and moosey_club. The only people turning up to BP are die-hard Grimsby Town fans.
Football fans (whom we might theoretically attract) have much easier, cheaper and more comfortable ways to indulge
their habit, watching a higher standard of football on TV.

Have to agree that PH is over-cautious: we're setting up to play in a way that leaves McKeown with a couple of saves to
make in a match.  Against inferior opposition generally. We may or may not get a goal.

Not decrying the man for this - our unbeaten 9 match run has seen us rise to second place in the league. He's probably
doing the best thing to get us promoted out of this league...BUT...it's boring to watch (mostly).

Have got a ST but most unlikely I shall be able to summon the enthusiasm to watch the football at BP this afternoon.  
Reply: 33 - 62
fleabag1970
November 23, 2014, 2:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Yesterday was a very good reason why fans are not turning up to BP .  We are now down to the bare bones of supporters 3400 on a good day 2500 on a bad day ..........  i believe even if we go up the crowds wont , just not the style of football that brings people to matches .  I believe we will go up this season btw

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 23, 2014, 2:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It is down to results more than anything. If you look at Meza's link there are two huge jumps in 1971/2 and 1979/80 coinciding with the McMenemy  years and the Kerr/Booth years. Then again in the Buckley years. Success brings in the punters eventually but punters do not bring success.

That's what annoys me about posts that urge supporters to get behind the team as though this will miraculously blow the ball into the net. It doesn't work like that, it never has worked like that and it never will work like that. The responsibility for getting bums on seats lies with the manager and the team, not the supporters. Fans are followers not leaders. There's a message in this thread somewhere for Mr Hurst.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
Marinerz93
November 23, 2014, 2:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
1. Current level of football,
2. Current level of expectation of what this current squad is capable of,
3. Transport, fans from Brigg, Barnetby and other places had a bus dedicated for fans and free,
4. Great time of year to earn a lot of money through work and over time.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
nightrider
November 23, 2014, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I remember us getting 4,000-5,000 in the championship. Most games seemed to attract around 5,500.
So take into account the away fans and were getting what, 1500 less?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 23, 2014, 3:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from fleabag1970
Yesterday was a very good reason why fans are not turning up to BP .  We are now down to the bare bones of supporters 3400 on a good day 2500 on a bad day ..........  i believe even if we go up the crowds wont , just not the style of football that brings people to matches .  I believe we will go up this season btw

I can see what you mean but the style of play is only seen by the people who are at BP to see it. Maybe some of them might be fed up and stop going but that is dribs and drabs. The style of play is something that keeps existing fans rather than attracts new or old ones to cough up cash to come. People who have not been for months or years are not really affected by how the team play -  they only see the results and they only see the league table and they only see that the next game could be close to a promotion winner. That's why there is a delay between success and bigger crowds. The early crowds in 1971/2 were quite small but by the end of that season were massive. Same in 1978-80. Diehard fans go whatever the weather or the opposition or the style of play but the bulk of customers are never diehards.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
grimsby pete
November 23, 2014, 4:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Nobody want to go and watch boring football,

A 1-0 win against a lowly side is a result for Hurst,

Well it isn't for most fans,

Fans will flock back to Blundell Park if we start playing fast attractive football,

Sadly we will not get that with Hurst in charge,

Some fans say we have only lost our 1st game in nine,

So why did we only get 3,446 at the match yesterday,

2nd in the table , 8 games unbeaten and the fans are still staying away,

I wonder why ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.