This thread currently has 5,413 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
SamTheMariner
November 10, 2014, 10:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Why he isn't playing and that pile of garbage MacKreth is confuses me. Arnold and Neilson are very natural players to play around Lenny in a 3

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Paris Mariner
November 10, 2014, 10:34pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
#constructive

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 40
sutton mariner
November 10, 2014, 10:38pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Agreed. I rate nielson over macreth. Think hurst is a fan of the natural 'down the line' winger over Neilson's run inside style

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
barralad
November 10, 2014, 10:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Mackreth must be doing something right. I understand he is our leading assister. Against Guiseley the game changed when Arnold came on for Neilson who, if the rumours are to be believed incurred Hurst's wrath for continually coming inside. My main complaint about Mackreth is that he doesn't use his pace often enough to beat his man...

I'm not sure "bag of sh1te" is a fair or kind description to one of our own...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
itsnotcoditshaddock
November 10, 2014, 10:54pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
I don't actually think Mackreth is that much quicker than your usual fullback. Not a patch on Colbeck IMO, who wasn't quick but at least had a bit of size so as to not get pushed off the ball every single time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
barralad
November 10, 2014, 10:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I don't actually think Mackreth is that much quicker than your usual fullback. Not a patch on Colbeck IMO, who wasn't quick but at least had a bit of size so as to not get pushed off the ball every single time.

And he weighed in with a goal or two....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
moosey_club
November 10, 2014, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Its no suprise, he has always been the first to get dropped, first to get subbed and first to get blamed whenever something attacking doesnt go right, even when he has ran the show, ie early doors this season, Hurst would be guarded in his praise......but as Hurst is right in saying he just doesnt do it consistantly enough....a bit of a conundrum.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
GyMariner
November 10, 2014, 11:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Neilson is the type of player halifax won't want to be up against Tuesday night. He should play he offers a huge threat and is very creative. Think back to his great vision for the pass that played thomas in to give us the penalty against wrexham. He is a class above at times.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
mimma
November 10, 2014, 11:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,570
Gold Stars: 78
I don't think Neilson is a natural winger, he's better playing in the middle, "in the hole" where he can go wide.

When he's out wide he tends to come inside too much.

Hurst wants the wingers to stay wide to stretch the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Maringer
November 10, 2014, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,502
Gold Stars: 185
Neilson has a great amount of skill but his application of it is lacking too often.

As has been noted, he cuts inside pretty much every single time he gets the ball. He needs to mix it up a bit when playing as a left-sided player. I realise it is easier to turn in onto your stronger foot, but it makes things much easier for the defence when they have a pretty good idea what you are going to do 99% of the time.

The alternative is that he plays in 'the hole' behind the striker(s) and this would at least give him a bit more room to go either side.

My view is that we still probably don't quite have the necessary pace and running ability in midfield to allow us to play a classical central trio behind three attacking players. This is why our 4-3-3 tends to be more of a 4-5-1 a lot of the time as the two wider men put quite a lot of effort into bolstering the midfield.

As for Mackreth, I have been a little disappointed that he hasn't been quite the threat that we originally hoped. However, you can't fault his workrate and I think he's a decent enough player at this level. Certainly not inferior to Colbeck in most respects (and less likely to pick up stupid red cards!), but he doesn't get into shooting positions very often, that's for sure. Could do with him picking up a few goals this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Neilson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.