Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
WappingMariner
November 11, 2014, 10:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
What people seem to misunderstand with Neilson is that he can only play in one or two positions. That position is either behind two-man attack or a one-man attack. He fits into formations such as 4-5-1, 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-3-1-2. Currently Hurst likes to use 4-3-3. By using that system it means that Mackreth and Arnold have to play because of their respective work rates on either wing.

When Neilson has started on the left in that formation he has far too often cut inside leaving Thomas exposed at left back if he decides to press forward. Thomas knows that if he does press forward then Neilson won't be quick enough cover for him. When played in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-1-2 formation I believe Neilson is possibly the most effective player we have. He proved that against Gateshead away when he played behind Pittman and LJL.

It does seem a bit of a waste not to be using him properly, especially when he can score against the run of play (see Gateshead again). The problem for him now is not necessarily Mackreth but Arnold. The only option for Hurst to use both Arnold and Neilson in a system they'll both suit, and one that wouldn't sacrifice change the three central midfielders, is 4-3-2-1. LJL's hold up play is so good that Arnold would have time to burst forward from outside the box and in to dangerous positions. That would enable Neilson to take a natural position just outside the opposition's penalty area where he can dictate play as well as trying to get a shot on target.

It would be a good formation to start with as I do think Neilson is more effective starting a game than coming off the bench as a substitute. Mackreth, however, is different. He possesses enough pace to create problems in the latter stages of a match. He is able to reach the byline, though he hasn't done this enough. When he has he's caused problems.

It must be a little frustrating for Neilson but the team has many qualities and are not restricted to just one player. It is a good dilemma for Hurst to have when the rest of areas on the pitch are fairly settled. If, of course, Hurst wants to be a bit more radical he could use 4-5-1. A two-man central midfield pairing with Mackreth and Arnold used as wingers with Neilson behind LJL. I would like to see that tried but unsure whether Hurst will change a three-man central midfield that has been consistently strong so far.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
November 11, 2014, 11:28am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

Disagree with you on this 80s, Neilson is our best player at taking on his man. Did so about two or three times against Oxford when he game on.

His goal against Gateshead (away where he beats three men and blasts the shot into the back of the net from about 30 yards shows the step up in quality from Mackreth who for me, doesn't cut it at this level.

Well I won't comment on Mackreth dav but fully agree with you about Neilson !

All I really meant was I can't remember him either skinning a full back out wide if he's playing left side, moreso him cutting inside and jinking round players at will.
Similarly can't really remember him playing right wing, let alone doing beating the left back. (out wide again)

Fully agree though, he's got loads of ability and trickery - enough to cause many a defender nightmares !     
Reply: 32 - 40
November 11, 2014, 11:32am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
Has any Town player EVER had his name misspelt as often as Makreth MacrethMaccreth.Mackreth

I had five edits at it last night....

Paddy Magloflin ?  
Reply: 33 - 40
devon mariner
November 11, 2014, 11:37am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
IMO Nielsen is an excellent ball player but as others on this thread have said probably better in a central role than wide.  I would like to see him sat just behind LJL and JP in an attacking midfielder role. This would probably mean losing someone else in the central role if we are going to play 2 widemen.  This could cause problems with being over run in the centre of the park.  It would mean the wide men coming narrow when we are defending to help out but going wide when we are attacking to give us the width.  It is a dilemma for Hursty which way to go.  As someone else mentioned this could leave us open in the wide areas on a counter attack

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Tom13
November 11, 2014, 12:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Maringer

I actually looked at the player stats bit on the OS and that seemed to think he'd only had 5 shots so far this season! A remarkably low number of efforts for an attacking player. I've only been to home games this season but can only recall a couple of sliced efforts (when he should have done better), so don't really know of any one-on-ones missed.

Not sure what his career scoring record is like as Soccerbase appears to be down at the moment, but I'd be surprised if he scores too many.

As Chris already said there were a couple of decent chances he missed at away games, my point was I don't really remember Colbeck having that many more chances - maybe I just can't remember them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
Maringer
November 11, 2014, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Four goals for Colbeck in two seasons, so he wasn't exactly tearing up any trees in the goalscoring stakes! Mackreth got 6 League goals in 2 seasons at Macc which isn't exactly brilliant, either.

Personally, I'd hope for wingers who play most of the games in a season to pick up half-a-dozen or so as both Neilson and Rodman managed last year. Hopefully, Neilson will rediscover his shooting boots after his good start to the season and work his way into double figures.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
Tom13
November 11, 2014, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Maringer
Four goals for Colbeck in two seasons, so he wasn't exactly tearing up any trees in the goalscoring stakes! Mackreth got 6 League goals in 2 seasons at Macc which isn't exactly brilliant, either.

Personally, I'd hope for wingers who play most of the games in a season to pick up half-a-dozen or so as both Neilson and Rodman managed last year. Hopefully, Neilson will rediscover his shooting boots after his good start to the season and work his way into double figures.

Agreed, makes you appreciate Coulson's 10 goals that he got the year before he left!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
Abdul19
November 11, 2014, 2:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from chaos33

Joe Coulbeck?

Scot Nielsen?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
SamTheMariner
November 11, 2014, 4:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Quoted from 120797

Who's playing right side for you?

Start Neilson on the weaker full back and switch it around if it isn't working, then bring Mackreth on if it still isn't.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Neilson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.