This thread currently has 4,874 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
maxfox44
November 10, 2014, 9:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Slightly disappointed to see that we didn't have a poppy on our shirts.  Seeing the highlights programme, looks like the majority of teams had them on their shirts.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chrisblor
November 10, 2014, 10:38am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Really? Why? Is it that important? A couple of years ago there weren't any clubs who bothered ironing a temporary poppy onto their shirts until the Daily Mail decided to turn the whole campaign into a mawkish witch-hunt to see who could remember the hardest. Individuals (and football clubs) should be free to choose without any pressure whether they wear a poppy or not. Nobody should be chastised for choosing not to wear one - plenty of people don't wear them and still are thankful for everything previous generations did in WW1 & WW2.

At any length, the club arranged a minute's silence on Saturday and tomorrow night's game has been designated as some sort of military themed remeberance event - so surely that's enough to satisfy even the most self righteous "EVERYONE MUST WEAR POPPIES" campaigner?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
MarinerWY
November 10, 2014, 2:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Chrisblor
Really? Why? Is it that important? A couple of years ago there weren't any clubs who bothered ironing a temporary poppy onto their shirts until the Daily Mail decided to turn the whole campaign into a mawkish witch-hunt to see who could remember the hardest. Individuals (and football clubs) should be free to choose without any pressure whether they wear a poppy or not. Nobody should be chastised for choosing not to wear one - plenty of people don't wear them and still are thankful for everything previous generations did in WW1 & WW2.

At any length, the club arranged a minute's silence on Saturday and tomorrow night's game has been designated as some sort of military themed remeberance event - so surely that's enough to satisfy even the most self righteous "EVERYONE MUST WEAR POPPIES" campaigner?

Excellently put.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
jock dock tower
November 10, 2014, 4:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Wholly agree with those sentiments Chrisblor. Haven't worn a poppy myself for nearly thirty years for personal reasons, but always respect a minute's silence, whoever it / they may be.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
November 10, 2014, 4:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

Excellent post.
Reply: 4 - 32
grimsby pete
November 10, 2014, 5:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
On the other side of the coin,

If we had a poppy on our shirts the club could then sell the shirts after the game for the said charity,

When you see our brave lads coming home with no legs or arms,

They need all the help we can give,

Whether you believe in the war they have been in or not,

Personally I do not think we have done any good in any war since  the Falklands.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
GrimRob
November 10, 2014, 5:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Too controversial let's just stick to football

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 32
Doubled
November 10, 2014, 5:31pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
I respect every ones right to choose to wear a poppy or not, after all that's what we fight for, freedom of choice.
I personally will always wear a poppy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
LongEatonMariner
November 10, 2014, 6:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I'm currently enjoying reading a well thought out and reasoned debate where all views seem to be respected.

Fishy people...is this is!!

It is nice to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
LongEatonMariner
November 10, 2014, 6:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I see the poppy as a public symbol of respect but there are many other ways for people doing their bit, many of which will be more far reaching.

I do like the unity something like wearing a poppy shows tho.

As others have said, let's appreciate the fact we are free to opt in or out of poppy wearing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Poppy on the shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.