4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
November 11, 2014, 8:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Some good points on both sides.  I was in the Forces, briefly and respect the right of people to make their own choice about whether or not to wear poppies.  It's a personal thing and for many symbolises the carnage and futility of that Great War.

On Sunday, my wife and I went to the Tower of London to look at the Poppy tribute there.  Thousands of people, all backgrounds, nationalities and religions, moved round in hushed reverence, stopping to read accounts of some of the young men who died. It was all very British, solemn and understated.  A good many of them would have held similar views to jock dock tower and grimsby pete.  Lots at the other extreme, but that's the beauty of the poppy, it's a symbol we can all base our own thoughts and remembrances around; whether that's a friend who died in Afghanistan, a great great uncle butchered at the Somme, or a sense of despair at the fact we never seem to learn.

This is why I think we've traditionally got it about right in this country.  Going back to the Tower on Sunday just gone, and talking to my (American) wife about it, we compared and contrasted to the US.  Over there, Memorial and Veterans' Days, take on a totally different tone.  Much more raucous, jingoistic and fervent, with people wrapping themselves in Stars and Stripes outfits and people not sporting a garish enough flag pin being looked at with almost McCarthyite suspicion.  I'd hate to think Britain would go down that route.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
mariner91
November 11, 2014, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
I was lucky enough to be at the Tower today, very moving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
Jaws
November 12, 2014, 10:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Not so sure about the team having 2 shirts each per person considering we have 3 kits.

Also I heard first hand from the club there were to be no poppies on shirts as they were concerned about the sharp pin causing an injury. Dave Moore is currently on an acupuncture course to overcome this issue for next year.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Poppy on the shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.