4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Doubled
November 11, 2014, 12:43pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
I think this is a debate for another day.
It is great to see a debate on here with no personal attacks though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
grimsby pete
November 11, 2014, 12:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I think we are agreeing to disagree or agree whichever is the case,,

Without the personal insults , lets keep it up.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
GorgeousGeorge
November 11, 2014, 3:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Quoted from jock dock tower
Re earlier question about asking why certain people choose not to wear poppies. Mine is not complex, but it is political and hopefully thought provoking.

Douglas Haig, later Earl Haig, was the person who took the decision to send troops over the top at the Somme to their certain deaths, no doubt whilst enjoying the good life back home befitting of his class (he never went to the front line) he then did the same at Ypres and other battles. It was pure cannon fodder, working men being sent to their deaths by one of the ruling class (he was in the Bullingdon Club at Oxford)

After the war finished, perhaps in an attempt to curry national favour, he was instrumental in setting up the British Legion and then the whole poppy thing grew out of that.

It is my honest belief that anybody who is a member of the armed forces and is injured in the course of their duty should be cared for by government, after all it was them who sent them to war, and not charity. I find it callous in the extreme that UK governments of all political persuasions opt for this route.

Secondly, I believe that the poppy somehow glorifies war certainly in the way it is used by the media. As a pacifist I have no truck with that.

Thirdly, the end of the First World War, often referred to as the Great War was meant to be "The war to end all wars" but we know that meant nothing as we still have politicians who think it improves their standing in this country if they are seen to act tough with aggressors elsewhere in the world and go to war as their default option. Note though, that this doesn't happen if the aggressor is bigger than them, ie Russia. They don't go to war with nations such as Saudi Arabia where they routinely behead criminals, fund terrorists, run a brutal dictatorship, but also have oil. Hypocrisy and war go hand in hand, and that in a nutshell is why I don't wear a poppy.

Wow!  Excellent post.  As an ex-serving member of HM Forces I will always willingly make a donation to the poppy sellers in the hope that it goes towards the needy who, were either acting on the orders of the government, or their spouse was.  For many of the reasons stated in the post above I will not wear a poppy.  No-body benefits from war.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
psgmariner
November 11, 2014, 3:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Douglas Haig, later Earl Haig, was the person who took the decision to send troops over the top at the Somme to their certain deaths, no doubt whilst enjoying the good life back home befitting of his class (he never went to the front line) he then did the same at Ypres and other battles. It was pure cannon fodder, working men being sent to their deaths by one of the ruling class (he was in the Bullingdon Club at Oxford)

For someone who seems passionate about equality and treating everyone on their merits you are extremely presumptuous when it comes to those who are not working class. You often seem to tar all of those in the more privileged echelons of society with the same brush. If someone did this about the working class you would be all over it. Being educated at Oxford doesn't make you a bad person  just as having no qualifications doesn't.

Just an observation and apologies it is non footy. Here is some foot stuff to bring it back on track:

In 1921, Ash Lane in Southport, Merseyside and the football ground of Southport F.C. that was situated there, were both renamed as Haig Avenue in his honour.

Argentine football club Club Atlético Douglas Haig, founded in 1918, is named after Haig.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
jock dock tower
November 11, 2014, 4:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from psgmariner

For someone who seems passionate about equality and treating everyone on their merits you are extremely presumptuous when it comes to those who are not working class. You often seem to tar all of those in the more privileged echelons of society with the same brush. If someone did this about the working class you would be all over it. Being educated at Oxford doesn't make you a bad person  just as having no qualifications doesn't.

Just an observation and apologies it is non footy. Here is some foot stuff to bring it back on track:

In 1921, Ash Lane in Southport, Merseyside and the football ground of Southport F.C. that was situated there, were both renamed as Haig Avenue in his honour.

Argentine football club Club Atlético Douglas Haig, founded in 1918, is named after Haig.

I happen to think, and always have done so, that class distinction is what has divided this country since time immemorial. People may have thought it gone away during the Major and Blair years, but it didn't. It's now more prevalent than ever.

Had Haig led from the front and gone over the top himself as a clarion call to the troops I'd not be able to have a go at him - but it's not just me, historians past and present have done the same. When somebody who had been a member of the Bullingdon Club - and only the creme de la creme get in there - sent hundreds of thousands of men to their deaths (against advice from the War Cabinet as well) how else do you expect it to be perceived?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
LH
November 11, 2014, 4:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
Marinerz93 is sat somewhere red faced with steam coming out of his ears.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
BIGChris
November 11, 2014, 4:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Differing views make the world go round.

For me I always wear a poppy, not in recognition of the generals but to recognise the sacrifices so many young men made in wars across the globe.

I cannot begin to imagine the horrors of 14-18 and know my father never spoke of his time in Nth Africa, and through Italy in 2nd World War.

If a small % of my donation goes to helping ex servicemen in need then that is great
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
Garth
November 11, 2014, 5:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

I happen to think, and always have done so, that class distinction is what has divided this country since time immemorial. People may have thought it gone away during the Major and Blair years, but it didn't. It's now more prevalent than ever.

Had Haig led from the front and gone over the top himself as a clarion call to the troops I'd not be able to have a go at him - but it's not just me, historians past and present have done the same. When somebody who had been a member of the Bullingdon Club - and only the creme de la creme get in there - sent hundreds of thousands of men to their deaths (against advice from the War Cabinet as well) how else do you expect it to be perceived?

I wear a poppy out of respect to the millions that died on both sides in a foolish and futile war, my grandfather and his two brothers three out of four sons lost their life in that war, and it would not matter a jot to me who was responsible whether it was Haig or a chimpanzee running the show,  my memory shared with millions of others is for the men lost and their relatives left to mourn, as for Bloody Sunday shameful as it was there were also many Bloody other weekdays that was a disgrace to both sides.
Each to there own though and it would not be a free society if we could not individually hold our own views
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Marinerz93
November 11, 2014, 6:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH
Marinerz93 is sat somewhere red faced with steam coming out of his ears.

No steam coming out of my ears, my thoughts are elsewhere Leon.

I’m glad that we have charities that research cures for cancer and Aids, and support those who suffer. I’m glad we have voluntary organisations that rescue those in trouble at sea. I am proud that we care for animals, orphans, ex-prisoners, retired missionaries and injured veterans. All of that is good, noble, and right.

But Remembrance, and the poppy it represents, is about something fundamentally different than charity. It is about us, as a society, still needing to decide whether to kill others if we feel it to be an awful necessity, sending young people to do that killing for us and risk themselves being killed or maimed or wounded or emotionally damaged. That is a huge burden that we carry, all of us together. Remembrance helps us to carry that burden with due care and attention, with fear and with trembling. It is absolutely not just another charity season, getting special treatment.

We should wear our poppies with pride but also trepidation and maybe even a residual glimmer of shame, grief and shock. We should wear them with hope, each of us with a determination that, as a citizen ­with the precious, hard-­won right to vote, we will never bear our personal responsibility for peace and war lightly.

• Fr. Tim Jones is a Yorkshire priest

Everyone will have their reasons for wearing or not wearing a poppy.  I will wear mine for a variety of reasons, fallen family members WWI and WWII, a couple of colleagues lost to more recent conflicts and for Sid Wheelhouse (Grimsby Captain) and other Mariners who joined, fought and died in the Great War.

[youtube]K6BlOkpdkg8[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
grimsby pete
November 11, 2014, 7:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
What we should all remember is about a week before the Germans did surrender they went to the British Generals and ask for terms of their surrender,

The top brass said we will decide what happens to you go back and tell your chiefs,

Before they left the Germans asked for a ceasefire until they could return with their surrender orders from their top brass,

We said NO CEASEFIRE we fight on until you return,

Many hundreds of soldiers from both sides died needlessly during that period,

It was obvious to all concerned that Germany were beaten,

BUT

Our  Generals still sent young boys to their death,

I was absolutely disgusted when I read this.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Poppy on the shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.