Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Poppy on the shirt
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 398 Guests

Poppy on the shirt

This thread currently has 4,848 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
November 10, 2014, 7:07pm
Guest User
I Think it's a great idea to wear a Poppy on their shirts. A Mark of respect, not only for those that gave their lives in WW1 and WW2, but also those that have lost their lives in more current conflicts.

Many Town fans are Serving members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces, some of these who have lost comrades during these times.

It's always comforting to realise that our civilian counterparts appreciate the commitments and sacrifices from, not only our fallen heroes, but also those that spend countless months on deployed Operations.

Some people take for granted that they are priveleged to attend BP week in, week out, whilst for many Servicemen, watching commentary on the Internet is the closest they come.

Wear your Poppy with Pride!
Reply: 10 - 32
BIGChris
November 10, 2014, 8:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I fully respect everyone's choice whether to wear a poppy or not but I wondered why those that choose not too arrive at that decision?
This isn't meant to be controversial or 'taking sides' I am just curious as to the reasons anyone 'refuses' to wear a poppy?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
mike502
November 10, 2014, 8:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from BIGChris
I fully respect everyone's choice whether to wear a poppy or not but I wondered why those that choose not too arrive at that decision?
This isn't meant to be controversial or 'taking sides' I am just curious as to the reasons anyone 'refuses' to wear a poppy?

Well, again, without wishing to be controversial or taking sides, here's one reason that's been given (from http://www.standard.co.uk/news.....a-poppy-9848418.html):

Quoted Text
Irish footballer James McClean said it would be a "gesture of disrespect" for him to wear a poppy as he made a controversial stand ahead of a match last night.

The Wigan Athletic midfielder, 25, refused to wear a poppy as clubs across the country marked the 100th anniversary of the First World War.

As his team-mates prepared to pull on jerseys bearing the symbol for last night's clash with Bolton, the Republic of Ireland player set out his reasons for the decision in a letter to Wigan chairman Dave Whelan.

McClean, who was a substitute for Wigan's 1-0 defeat last night, said his upbringing in Londonderry meant the poppy had "come to mean something very different" to him.

In the letter, he wrote: "I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

"I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

"I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

"I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.

"But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

"For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history – even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

"Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles – and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

"It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people."

He went on: "I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

"I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

"I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

"As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation."

His statement was accepted by Wigan Athletic, who said in a statement: "This is a personal decision by James, who explained his position in a letter to Latics Chairman Dave Whelan before the two met face to face to discuss the issue this week.

"Following the meeting, Mr Whelan accepted James’ decision."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
Tinymariner
November 10, 2014, 9:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
As a former serving member of the Armed Forces, I fully respect anyone's wishes to either wear or not wear a Poppy. I always have and always will, show my respect to those who have fought, died and survived all conflicts, for all sides.
I personally feel that individuals should not be forced to wear a Poppy, ie. certain Broadcasting corporations, as I feel this may be deemed oppressive.
I will also be wearing my medals to the match tomorrow to mark my respect, as requested by GTFC, although I won't be accepting a free ticket for the main stand, Ponny for me. UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
LH
November 10, 2014, 9:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I don't buy this fans missing games stuff . I've done about 3 working weekends in nearly 6 years.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
pizzzza
November 10, 2014, 9:30pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Tinymariner

I will also be wearing my medals to the match tomorrow to mark my respect, as requested by GTFC.

Can I borry one? Give you it back once through the turnstile.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
Green27
November 10, 2014, 11:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Do the club have enough shirts for this? We run on a tight enough budget as it is though a nice gesture it might not be logistically possible. From what I know most players get two shirts for the season.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
grimsby pete
November 11, 2014, 10:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Green27
Do the club have enough shirts for this? We run on a tight enough budget as it is though a nice gesture it might not be logistically possible. From what I know most players get two shirts for the season.

I mentioned earlier in this thread it would be a good idea to then sell the shirts for the charity,

I did not think of the cost for the club,

Maybe next year something could be organised and a sponsor found to fund the shirts for the club,

I am sure if the original  shirts  were put up for auction they would be a good demand for them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
jock dock tower
November 11, 2014, 10:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Re earlier question about asking why certain people choose not to wear poppies. Mine is not complex, but it is political and hopefully thought provoking.

Douglas Haig, later Earl Haig, was the person who took the decision to send troops over the top at the Somme to their certain deaths, no doubt whilst enjoying the good life back home befitting of his class (he never went to the front line) he then did the same at Ypres and other battles. It was pure cannon fodder, working men being sent to their deaths by one of the ruling class (he was in the Bullingdon Club at Oxford)

After the war finished, perhaps in an attempt to curry national favour, he was instrumental in setting up the British Legion and then the whole poppy thing grew out of that.

It is my honest belief that anybody who is a member of the armed forces and is injured in the course of their duty should be cared for by government, after all it was them who sent them to war, and not charity. I find it callous in the extreme that UK governments of all political persuasions opt for this route.

Secondly, I believe that the poppy somehow glorifies war certainly in the way it is used by the media. As a pacifist I have no truck with that.

Thirdly, the end of the First World War, often referred to as the Great War was meant to be "The war to end all wars" but we know that meant nothing as we still have politicians who think it improves their standing in this country if they are seen to act tough with aggressors elsewhere in the world and go to war as their default option. Note though, that this doesn't happen if the aggressor is bigger than them, ie Russia. They don't go to war with nations such as Saudi Arabia where they routinely behead criminals, fund terrorists, run a brutal dictatorship, but also have oil. Hypocrisy and war go hand in hand, and that in a nutshell is why I don't wear a poppy.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
MarinerWY
November 11, 2014, 12:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,942
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jock dock tower
Re earlier question about asking why certain people choose not to wear poppies. Mine is not complex, but it is political and hopefully thought provoking.

Douglas Haig, later Earl Haig, was the person who took the decision to send troops over the top at the Somme to their certain deaths, no doubt whilst enjoying the good life back home befitting of his class (he never went to the front line) he then did the same at Ypres and other battles. It was pure cannon fodder, working men being sent to their deaths by one of the ruling class (he was in the Bullingdon Club at Oxford)

After the war finished, perhaps in an attempt to curry national favour, he was instrumental in setting up the British Legion and then the whole poppy thing grew out of that.

It is my honest belief that anybody who is a member of the armed forces and is injured in the course of their duty should be cared for by government, after all it was them who sent them to war, and not charity. I find it callous in the extreme that UK governments of all political persuasions opt for this route.

Secondly, I believe that the poppy somehow glorifies war certainly in the way it is used by the media. As a pacifist I have no truck with that.

Thirdly, the end of the First World War, often referred to as the Great War was meant to be "The war to end all wars" but we know that meant nothing as we still have politicians who think it improves their standing in this country if they are seen to act tough with aggressors elsewhere in the world and go to war as their default option. Note though, that this doesn't happen if the aggressor is bigger than them, ie Russia. They don't go to war with nations such as Saudi Arabia where they routinely behead criminals, fund terrorists, run a brutal dictatorship, but also have oil. Hypocrisy and war go hand in hand, and that in a nutshell is why I don't wear a poppy.

If I could a post a huge amount of ticks this would be it.

Some great posts and great debating points on this thread. What have you lot done with the real Fishy?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Poppy on the shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.