Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 275 Guests

Just back...

This thread currently has 10,381 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
November 9, 2014, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 120797

"I wanted to be positive" ?

Your go JT.

You changed at half time so where did you feel it went wrong?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
moosey_club
November 9, 2014, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Paul...Paul....oh sorry listeners...he's fked off  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
November 9, 2014, 7:54pm
Guest User
Well you're asking me to read Hurst's mind / speak for him here.

But if you want me to blindly guess what he might say, I'll have a go...

"Well I didn't make any changes at half time but it was obvious the positive approach wasn't working and maybe we were too open with Oxford catching us on the break and gaps in midfield. So I decided to go back to a slightly more "solid" or "less open" formation but with JP up front to support Lennie in the hope we could get one back and maybe get us back into the game. As it happened they scored right after the break and although we managed to pull one back after that, as it turned out, it wasn't quite enough to see us through to the round 2 draw on the day."
Reply: 72 - 85
November 9, 2014, 7:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Paul...Paul....oh sorry listeners...he's fked off  

Very good.
Luckily Hurst doesn't have to sit at a keyboard typing away.
Reply: 73 - 85
chaos33
November 9, 2014, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from moosey_club

If as the regular media observer and interviewer (with the professed title of the voice of the mariners)  you "notice" that the regular line up, formation and positions have been abandoned and a completely new line up is presented to you would you not think that the question would be extremely relevant not only out of journalistic intrigue but also of interest to your intended audience?

It looked as though you started with a new formation today Paul, can you talk us through the changes and the thoughts behind them?

A nice easy open question, giving the interviewer plenty of opportunity to pick any further points out of the response...but no..

Bottled it !

Absolutely. My point also. And this happens now because it has caused problems in the past when Tondeur or Matt Dean has asked challenging questions, especially after poor results. Both Hurst (and Scott/Hurst), and Fenty have reacted angrily on previous occasions, accusing RH of being negative, or disingenuous. So, we don't go there anymore. Pity.

It's a good job that Burns doesn't cover Town games for RH because he'd play his own game and be far less restrained.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
moosey_club
November 9, 2014, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797
Well you're asking me to read Hurst's mind / speak for him here.

But if you want me to blindly guess what he might say, I'll have a go...

"Well I didn't make any changes at half time but it was obvious the positive approach wasn't working and maybe we were too open with Oxford catching us on the break and gaps in midfield. So I decided to go back to a slightly more "solid" or "less open" formation but with JP up front to support Lennie in the hope we could get one back and maybe get us back into the game. As it happened they scored right after the break and although we managed to pull one back after that, as it turned out, it wasn't quite enough to see us through to the round 2 draw on the day."

not asking for you to read his mind, nor am i asking to be JT but at the end of the day just about every person at the game and listening in could not figure out what we were playing and who was supposed to be doing what. JT didnt either so why the fk didnt he ask?
Hurst could have given a multitude of answers, good bad or indifferent but we may have at least understood what he was attempting to achieve...as we are we are just left thinking WTF!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
November 9, 2014, 8:11pm
Guest User
I certainly can't remember all the interview but struck me one of the first things he said was wanting to be positive.
Whether JT should delve deeper and question Hurst's "positive" approach/formation by way of extra interrogation at the risk of boring his listeners is a matter of opinion.
But hey, I've answered your questions...
Reply: 76 - 85
arryarryarry
November 9, 2014, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 120797
Wasn't half as bad as the scoreline suggested IMO.

Was actually quite impressed again with some of our football 1st half.

Goals change games.
If Lenny's shot goes in, I really think we go on to win.

We started off what looked to me like 4-2-4.
Seemed to change to 4-3-3 as the game went on,
Then after the subs came on 2nd half, 4-4-2.

Listening to Hurst in the car on the way back, thought he was spot on !
Albeit a little harsh on himself/the team I thought, even if he made some excellent observations.

Was thinking myself players maybe stood off them too much and dropped a little bit too.
And yes perhaps Pearson should have showed him down the line (good point !).

But let's be honest, you could see Oxford's class in attack and it was a great 1st goal from their "highly rated" winger.
And the 2nd came when they hit us on the break. (looked offside to me !)
Add to that a shocking ref who didn't award a pen and gave us near zilch.

So all in all, yes there are 1 or 2 things here and there to look at.
(Will give my player thoughts in a bit.)

But for me, I remain confident for Tuesday.

No doubt in my mind we can win gain promotion.
If we didn't already know by now....
KEEP THE FAITH

Really? for most of that game I thought they were more than a class above and that for a team effectively only eight places above us.

Dreadful tactics from the manager and some dreadful performances from some if not most of the players.

Do they talk tactics during the week and ever mention what to do with corners, I mean what is the frigging point in bringing your big guys up from the back then take a short corner. That led to their first after we had screwed it up and I know many on here were singing Parslow's praises that he had re-signed but he was Hattonesque with his defending or should I say lack of it, for the first two goals, he was nowhere to be seen, the first one Pearson had to come across and try to cover and the second Thomas.

As for Macreth, having seen most of his games this season, I still don't see that he brings much more to the team than Colbeck did.

I also thought McKeown should have done better with the first two goals.

Hard to pick out a player who did well.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
November 9, 2014, 8:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry
I know many on here were singing Parslow's praises that he had resigned but he was Hattonesque with his defending or should I say lack of it, for the first two goals, he was nowhere to be seen, the first one Pearson had to come across

Think that's a fair point.

I hope Magnay is back...
Reply: 78 - 85
moosey_club
November 9, 2014, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797
I certainly can't remember all the interview but struck me one of the first things he said was wanting to be positive.
Whether JT should delve deeper and question Hurst's "positive" approach/formation by way of extra interrogation at the risk of boring his listeners is a matter of opinion.
But hey, I've answered your questions...

He said the positive thing without any prompting or questions on that subject, in my mind he was getting his defence in m'lud before he was asked...but he never got asked....he got it wrong, we will never know what the exact tactical choices were and we are now out of the cup.
Whatever happens next i am sure it will be different from this weekend so come 10 p.m Tues we can all have a b!tch about something else.....or can all be revelling in joy and happiness.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.