Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 255 Guests

Just back...

This thread currently has 10,354 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
November 9, 2014, 9:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Cumbrian Mariner

Disagree that Disley and Clay had poor games. Mackreth and Arnold were invisible and not getting back, that was why these two couldn't put their stamp on the game.  Thought that Sisley in particular played well and our best moves in the first half came through him.  Lenny did well holding the ball up but our side midfielders failed to give him options when he got the ball, had the one that hit the post actually have gone in then it would have made Oxford come at us instead of weighing us up before hitting us on the break with pace.

For me, the tactics/set up in the first half was wrong - we should have gone at them with an attacking formation.

At the end of the day we weren't ever gonna win the cup (hard to accept I know) so let's move on and get a win against Halifax on Tuesday, the cup will be forgotten about by then.

Disappointing though, truth is players that you would have thought pre match would match theirs and shine did not/could not,( and apart from Nielson when he came on) that was the problem, was it the way they was set up or was it the comics they had read that day, excuses,  excuses lets move on to Tuesday

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
Chrisblor
November 9, 2014, 10:21am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Cumbrian Mariner

Disagree that Disley and Clay had poor games.

Clay gave the ball away allowing them to break and score the second. Until then he was playing well but faded badly. Both he and Disley were guilty of poor control throughout the game and for me caused promising moves to break down as they both dallied on the ball with attacking players ahead of them in threatening positions. Disley barely received any applause at all when he went off because he was so ineffective. I do agree that they weren't helped by the formation though since it wasn't clear who our wingers were and subsequently none of the attacking players provided any defensive cover which left us very exposed.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
headingly_mariner
November 9, 2014, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Not a good performance but that is quite out of character. I think we were too adventurous with the team selection and that had completely unbalanced us, we missed someone sat in front of the back four allowing the rest to go press and play higher up the pitch. I'd like to see neilson and pell back in on Tuesday for Arnold and Mackreth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 9, 2014, 11:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We got results by being boringly hard to beat and leaving one up front in the hope of a break. I don't like it much but that is the manager's style and the way he has drilled the players and it appears to be working, so why change it instead of having the courage of his convictions?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
captainox
November 9, 2014, 11:24am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
Surprised but delighted with the result. Fantastic to see our new young striker get a couple and sounds like a few other good performances. Hopefully we can use it to kick on now.

Best wishes for the rest of the season, hope you get out of that league Asap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
sutton mariner
November 9, 2014, 11:36am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Lets get out of this excrement league before we start talking about how we'll fair in league 2!

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
ginnywings
November 9, 2014, 12:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from captainox
Surprised but delighted with the result. Fantastic to see our new young striker get a couple and sounds like a few other good performances. Hopefully we can use it to kick on now.

Best wishes for the rest of the season, hope you get out of that league Asap

Hope you get a good draw. Your lot played football the right way and were just too good for us on the day. We were just not our usual selves and played some weird formation that was baffling to most of us and we just stood off you and let you knock it around. Couldn't cope with the speed you moved the ball up the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
Maringer
November 9, 2014, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I thought Clay was poor yesterday. Just not really involved and lost possession practically every time he got the ball. Disley wasn't great, but was the better of our two midfielders. I'd have kept him on instead of Clay.

That said, Clay wasn't the only one of our players who was well below par yesterday so he doesn't deserve to be singled out particularly much. I notice that Mackreth has picked up a lot of criticism for his game yesterday. Obviously, he wasn't great but you'd have to say that he was much more involved than Arnold who did very little all game. I'd have brought Neilson on earlier but for Arnold, not Mackreth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
MuddyWaters
November 9, 2014, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer
I thought Clay was poor yesterday. Just not really involved and lost possession practically every time he got the ball. Disley wasn't great, but was the better of our two midfielders. I'd have kept him on instead of Clay.

That said, Clay wasn't the only one of our players who was well below par yesterday so he doesn't deserve to be singled out particularly much. I notice that Mackreth has picked up a lot of criticism for his game yesterday. Obviously, he wasn't great but you'd have to say that he was much more involved than Arnold who did very little all game. I'd have brought Neilson on earlier but for Arnold, not Mackreth.

Can understand what you're saying but why play Arnold in a role that was clearly suited to Neilson? Neilson for Mackreth with Arnold going out wide would have been my substitution. I thought Clay was marginally better than Disley till his error for the second goal, then he seemed to lose faith in himself. I assume Magnay will be fit for Tuesday, if so will Parslow and Pell play instead of Clay and Disley?
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
grimsby pete
November 9, 2014, 12:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
After looking at the goals several times,

I was surprised how poor we defended,

Our defence has been our strongest unit this season,

I think it was just a bad day at the office,

Normal service will resume on Tuesday.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.